NV3550 feels like I'm shifting through cold syrup

TacoJeep

My 2003 with the NV3550 feels like I'm shifting through cold syrup. Hot July days and cool mornings, it's always a tight/stiff stick movement. At first start, it's super difficult to even find the neutral position... and in that position, the shifter will stay in one spot and does not easily move back to a centered position. It engages gears fine... it's just a workout to move the lever into positions.

It does loosen up a bit after some driving, but not much. I flushed and changed the transmission oil with Redline MTL a few months ago. No change in behavior.

I've read a bunch of threads on this, but many find a solution in using Redline MTL. Not the case for me.

Maybe the shift tower? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Do you have a tall body lift and/or a deep transfer case drop?
My TJ is a pain in the ass to shift & particularly hard to shift into 2nd and 4th. The PO installed a 1.75” TC drop with a 4” lift, I plan to remedy that over the winter.

My TJ is a pain in the ass to shift & particularly hard to shift into 2nd and 4th. The PO installed a 1.75” TC drop with a 4” lift, I plan to remedy that over the winter.
The steep TC drop could be part of the problem. Is a body lift part of the 4" lift you mentioned?

Thanks Jerry... Yes, I have a 4" body lift.

A 4 inch body lift would be quite the body lift. From your profile photo, it doesn't look like you have a body lift that big. Maybe a 4 inch suspension lift? Some photos of the body mounts and the transfer case skid may help.

If you really do have a 4" body lift, that should be on the short list to fix.

Reactions: Fonz54
Take a mi8and loosen up your shifter boot from the console. See if that helps with the shifter feel. Look inside under the boot for any contact the shifter is making when moving between gears. If there is no improvement in shifting with the upper boot off and no contact or binding under there when shifting then look closely at your lower shift boot. Is it deforming when you move the shifter between gears? If you are unclear then try and loosen the lower boot also.
I think this is where Jerry was headed. With both the upper and lower boot off and still no improvement then it is likely an internal issue. Hopefully not. But there are a few things to try if it is.

A 4 inch body lift would be quite the body lift. From your profile photo, it doesn't look like you have a body lift that big. Maybe a 4 inch suspension lift? Some photos of the body mounts and the transfer case skid may help.

If you really do have a 4" body lift, that should be on the short list to fix.
Ha... Yes, 4" suspension lift. :) I'll get some pictures.

Take a mi8and loosen up your shifter boot from the console. See if that helps with the shifter feel. Look inside under the boot for any contact the shifter is making when moving between gears. If there is no improvement in shifting with the upper boot off and no contact or binding under there when shifting then look closely at your lower shift boot. Is it deforming when you move the shifter between gears? If you are unclear then try and loosen the lower boot also.
I think this is where Jerry was headed. With both the upper and lower boot off and still no improvement then it is likely an internal issue. Hopefully not. But there are a few things to try if it is.
Perfect! I'll start there and see what I find. Thanks

Check to see if you have a 1.5" t-case drop.

Tcase drop.jpg

Reactions: Fonz54
I'll check, but I don't think I do. Maybe something I should address? I can fabricate a drop.
If you have one, that could cause shifting issues. If you don't have one, you have to have adjustable control arms and a SYE. Post some pics.

So, no issues with the upper and lower boot. It all looks good. I dropped my TC 3/4" but no change in shifting. I have no problems engaging gears, most of my issues are finding and settling it into the neutral position. Seriously feels like shifting through gravel.
pO2toLQMQwqifAaIKN+S3Q.jpg

qH5VExw%T6OJ3bA3DE1iFg.jpg

jQUvSf2KTGGRd0N9fyNkow.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like just an oversized nut used for the skid drop. When was the last time you changed your tranny fluid? And what did you use? The difference in shifting between different trans oils can really change the way it works.

If you are pretty good with a set of wrenches you could try pulling the shifter off the top of the engine and check out the top rails and forks. You may have something going on there. Worn/bent shift fork or something g binding in the shifter.
If you aren't confident doing this, then don't.
Try shifting (engine off) slowly between gears and see if you can feel anything hinky going on. If different gears feel off, etc.

If you are pretty good with a set of wrenches you could try pulling the shifter off the top of the engine and check out the top rails and forks. You may have something going on there. Worn/bent shift fork or something g binding in the shifter.
If you aren't confident doing this, then don't.
Try shifting (engine off) slowly between gears and see if you can feel anything hinky going on. If different gears feel off, etc.

I've turned a few wrenches in my life. So, in doing so, my 15-year-old and I popped this shifter off the tranny and took a gaze. It looks like a transmission from the top with some clean tranny fluid. The shifter (disconnected from the tranny) operates freely forward/backward and the spring seems to work smoothly left/right.

It really feels like stuff is in the way that I need to fight with the shifter to move and shift... especially from a cold start. Once I get going, however, it does shift a bit smoother, but it's still tight. It's generally tight enough to not "self-return" to a center position when in neutral.

Any thoughts?
OCq1tnq7QHm1n4ejarciVw.jpg

Sometimes worn shift fork bushings will cause your symptoms. Do you know what was in the transmission before you changed it out to MTL?

Also, does anyone have a pic of the top of the tranny without the tower for comparison? BTW shift towers for the NV3550 should be pretty easy to come by in the junk yards should you want to test your suspicions.

Sometimes worn shift fork bushings will cause your symptoms. Do you know what was in the transmission before you changed it out to MTL?

Also, does anyone have a pic of the top of the tranny without the tower for comparison? BTW shift towers for the NV3550 should be pretty easy to come by in the junk yards should you want to test your suspicions.
Thanks, ejay-

No idea what fluid was in it prior to replacement. I did a "rinse" with MTL by changing the fluid again a couple of weeks later with the same... hoping to loosen things up a bit.

Kinda sounds like I need a rebuild. :(

Last edited: