NV3550 noise upon acceleration

MrBClark

TJ Enthusiast
Anyone have thoughts on this noise? I only notice it in first and second. Seems to go away if I push in the clutch, even if I push in the clutch and hold engine rpm. It may get quiter as it warms up but idk. Probably gonna replace the trans mount at some point even if it's not bad. Everything seems to work and run fine.

Anyone have thoughts on this noise? I only notice it in first and second. Seems to go away if I push in the clutch, even if I push in the clutch and hold engine rpm. It may get quiter as it warms up but idk. Probably gonna replace the trans mount at some point even if it's not bad. Everything seems to work and run fine.

The noise really starts at 5 seconds btw. The other noises are "normal" for my Jeep. 🙃

Throwout bearing
I was thinking something clutch related as well because of how it goes away when the clutch is in, even if I keep the same engine rpm. Any other symptoms of a bad TO bearing I could look for?
Might want to talk to the shop see what they say that could be the bearing
I would love to have a shop look at it but I do everything on my Jeep by myself (last time I went to a shop I paid a lot of $$). I do however know a good bit of mechanics that would be willing to just listen to it.

Mine does the same thing. (Although noises are hard to tell exactly over the net)....

1st, 2nd ...yep...when super cold 3rd as well.
I've had many jeep with a bad TO bearing.

My shop has been too busy as of late to find the time to fix my own shit. (I don't make money off myself...sadly)

I was thinking something clutch related as well because of how it goes away when the clutch is in, even if I keep the same engine rpm. Any other symptoms of a bad TO bearing I could look for?

I would love to have a shop look at it but I do everything on my Jeep by myself (last time I went to a shop I paid a lot of $$). I do however know a good bit of mechanics that would be willing to just listen to it.
The temp related noise change is a huge tell tale sign of a TO bearing.

Having said that be prepared to buy a new clutch. It only makes sense ripping that shit out of there just to check a throwout bearing...at this point might as well replace it all since you're in there.

Reactions: Fishtaco
Mine does the same thing. (Although noises are hard to tell exactly over the net)....

1st, 2nd ...yep...when super cold 3rd as well.
I've had many jeep with a bad TO bearing.

My shop has been too busy as of late to find the time to fix my own shit. (I don't make money off myself...sadly)
So you have had Jeeps with this same issue and its been the TO bearing? Nice. Maybe I should be more careful with the clutch. I just have to remember my Jeep was never made to go fast... I guess maybe I will be in for a clutch job eventually. Anyone else have any ideas?

Oh yea? I played basketball for them a few years ago. Mike Mussina was one of my coaches. We are now known for our decent football team. This year was pretty bad though.
Milton....many many moons ago when our football was good before the whole hazing shit that killed the program. It's still hurting from that incident two decades ago. I was well before that

So you have had Jeeps with this same issue and its been the TO bearing?
Yes...
When bad they all behave odd in their own unique way. Usually when really bad they rattle like crazy when in neutral with clutch out. Push in clutch it goes away. Drive down road it goes away..or you can't hear it. Some of them you can still hear.

If it's extra cold out it's even louder.

Sometimes they do it when just going from 1st to second...sometimes not.
The only constant with a bad TO bearing is noise. They are noisy. The noise happens in different ways with with each vehicle.

Yes...
When bad they all behave odd in their own unique way. Usually when really bad they rattle like crazy when in neutral with clutch out. Push in clutch it goes away. Drive down road it goes away..or you can't hear it. Some of them you can still hear.

If it's extra cold out it's even louder.

Sometimes they do it when just going from 1st to second...sometimes not.
The only constant with a bad TO bearing is noise. They are noisy. The noise happens in different ways with with each vehicle.
Well see i only hear it when the clutch is engaged, not when I push in the clutch. Thats when it goes away. Still possibly TO bearing? What else could it be?

Well see i only hear it when the clutch is engaged, not when I push in the clutch. Thats when it goes away. Still possibly TO bearing? What else could it be?
Classic trans input shaft bearing symptoms, doubt it's the TO bearing.

Last edited:
I may take a better video and share it again. But yea, I'm thinking something with the trans. I just don't know how severe it is yet
Your NV3550 trans has a history of noise and tends to be a normal issue. You may want to consider changing the lube to a Redline product.