NV3550 shift tower dust boot (yet another example)

DizJeep

So here I am, a new TJ owner going through the basic cleanup and revamp process on my new toy. I figure that, even though the PO was quite good about maintenance, there would likely be some stuff he just didn't think of.
Aaaaaand, I was right. It looks like the series of TJ I have (2001) had issues with the firewall seals/gaskets for the A/C and, after some number of years they get a bit crispy...and start to leak. This leads to floorboard wetness, which leads to rust, which leads to me tearing into that section of my TJ. Long story somewhat shortened, I, being a devout type A, keep pulling anything with rust on it so I can kill it now before it marries my daughter...no, wait, before it eats my TJ...yeah, that's it.
It soon became obvious that I needed to gut the interior at floorboard level, just to do a decent job of rust denial and abatement. Not surprisingly, I remove the outer shift boot and center console...and then the inner shift boot and plate...and then, ugh...the boot on the top of the tranny looks like this:
IMG20170508214931_zpsxjlxc39n.jpg

Hmmm, mental note to change the tranny lube when I'm done.
...and add the boot to the list of "get now" items.
Later, back at HQ, I'm looking for the needed parts that today's work has uncovered and am having issues finding this damn tranny shift tower boot (or "dust seal", as I discovered it was named). Incredibly, I can't find the thing anywhere....not even (gulp) from Chrysler OEM! Apparently, you can't just buy this $5 rubber seal, you have to buy the whole tower, with lower shift lever...and seal/boot. From Chrysler, this is an insane (we don't really want to sell this to you) $542! Third party options yield the same tower+lever+seal option but at a much more lucid $90 or so. But, whazup?...nobody sells the stinking rubber boot by itself???? No enterprising Chinese have discovered the obvious gold mine here?? Every TJ owner with an NV3550 all over the world would be clamoring at your door to buy your $5, nay, $10 rubber boot!
But, alas, no. It seems that we must buy not only a shift tower we do not need, bit a shift lever shaft we don't need as well...just to get that stanking rubber boot!

So, I pose a couple questions to my fellow manual tranny Teejay owners:
1. Have you checked your tranny tower dust boot? If not, I STRONGLY suggest you do so before your next creek crossing...or even rainy day drive!
2. Do you have a track on a place that sells this and other such stuff without the ridiculousness of having to purchase $70 of crap you don't need? If so, please share!

Diz

No idea. But I really like your post. You might try wearemopar.com or, possibly some other rig uses that transmission whose manufacturer is more amenable to selling you a dust boot?

Reactions: DizJeep
I have my transmission out at a shop right now...my boot is in good shape, but looking thru the manual, they said there are no user serviceable parts inside. I thought that was interesting, because it comes apart very easily, and its not very complicated in there. Couple nylon bushings, three spring washers, and the ball pivot. Not sure why it wouldn't be servicable.

I can see why the boot tore, it's got to flex alot in a small space. Chances are a new boot will eventually tear the same way. And it stinks when a manufacturer just quits supporting past products, I've dealt with it with old guns too. "This little part that was $20 all day long, well we're just not gonna make it anymore. Oh and if you can find somebody with it still in stock they'll want $120 for it now."

Best bet if you can't find a new exact fit part would be to go to a salvage yard that has pulled transmissions sitting on the shelves and see if any other models have a similar size boot that might still be available as a separate part that you could make work. Or even a boot from a suspension part like a ball joint or tie rod that could be repurposed into a shifter boot. Still sucks though.

I can see why the boot tore, it's got to flex alot in a small space. Chances are a new boot will eventually tear the same way. And it stinks when a manufacturer just quits supporting past products, I've dealt with it with old guns too. "This little part that was $20 all day long, well we're just not gonna make it anymore. Oh and if you can find somebody with it still in stock they'll want $120 for it now."

Best bet if you can't find a new exact fit part would be to go to a salvage yard that has pulled transmissions sitting on the shelves and see if any other models have a similar size boot that might still be available as a separate part that you could make work. Or even a boot from a suspension part like a ball joint or tie rod that could be repurposed into a shifter boot. Still sucks though.

X2, I agree with this completely.

The NSG370 has a different style inner boot which is serviceable. Problem is that everyone seemed to have them on back order a few months ago when I researched them. I ran into the same issue with mine and assumed it was leaking water. Having driven through some good storms since then, it hasn't leaked once. Just gotta remember not to go swimming while IN the Jeep and I'll be okay.

After pulling it all out, including the tower, I find that, at least on the NV3550, the internals of the shift tower are kinda fairly water tight...not totally mind you, but incidental water like driving in the rain (not a frog choker) would probably not be a big issue if any of the dust boot remained as a deflector. That said, these are Wranglers and we are supposed to be able to ford creeks and small rivers without damage...the boot has got to be fixed!
I discovered a possible source for a boot that runs around $50 (all in) rather than the roughly $110 (all in) for the replacement Jeep tower. I'm rolling the dice and, if it works, I'll be sure to let everyone know "how to".

Seriously though folks, I'd check my boots fy weryoo. It would suck big ones if, just because you didn't realize your dust boot was...well, dust...that your next trip though a creek ended up trashing your tranny. On a TJ with a NV3550, you can pull the upper/"outer" boot and middle/"inner" boot with very little effort and that will allow you to put eyes on the tower/dust boot...just to check on that critical chunk o' rubber that separates the top of your tranny from all that the mean, cruel world wants to throw at it.

So, I had to do the same thing. Here is another option if you just want to replace the rubber boot instead of the entire tower.

It’s a Hurst shifter boot (1140024). Runs around $40 on Quadratec.
4A6C2C1C-07BB-4741-860B-5AE57BF16E9D.jpeg

Unfortunately, I already purchased the tower for my replacement so I cannot attest to its viability. The hurst shifter boot is made for the same tower, so I would hope it works. You could just slip it over your existing boot.

I'm the lucky winner of a blown inner boot and and blown shift tower dust cover! Yayyy. Starting to get overwhelmed with this 2000 tj. Redone about all of the suspension including adjustable control arms, trackbars, draglink and tierod. Had to do work on both engine and transmission and still chasing electric issues. Its been educational.. and hella expensive. 1 month of ownership so far. Good news is I didnt have to pull the inner boot to see the shifter tower. I could see right through the inner boot.. haha

20181222_090022.jpg

Some folks pour the trans lube straight in from the top while they have the boot off .

I'm the lucky winner of a blown inner boot and and blown shift tower dust cover! Yayyy. Starting to get overwhelmed with this 2000 tj. Redone about all of the suspension including adjustable control arms, trackbars, draglink and tierod. Had to do work on both engine and transmission and still chasing electric issues. Its been educational.. and hella expensive. 1 month of ownership so far. Good news is I didnt have to pull the inner boot to see the shifter tower. I could see right through the inner boot.. haha

View attachment 68841
I’d go ahead and remove the tower to inspect while you’re there. Of course, you’ll probably discover something else.......hopefully not bad.

Reactions: EROCK
Ya it looks pretty strait forward to remove. 4 bolts and pull im hoping. I've got a little syncro grind when shifting first to second when trannys cold. Maybe this is related not that I can see why.

Mine does the same thing. Gotta find the sweet spot to avoid the grind. Once I took off the tower, I saw discolored fluid and water. I’ve flushed it twice with redline.

I now have the urge to check the boots on my TJ ;)

Only issue I know of so far is a small tear on the outside shift boot.