NV3550 shift tower replacement

kmac5130

I have a 2004 rubicon with the NV3550 manual transmission. When I bought the jeep, I changed the trans fluid and discovered it was like chocolate milk, so water must have gotten in there previously. After seeing that, I extended the breather on top of the trans in case I ever go through depe water. Anyway, it’s been about a year and I had just recently replaced my clutch and noticed the dust boot on the shift tower is torn, which could have let water in, just from rain splashing up there over time. It is high up, but the dust boot has a slight bowl shape in the center, which would definitely allow at least some water in while driving in wet conditions.

So I decided to replace the dust boot, but when I removed it, I found there was a bunch of dust and dirt already inside the dust boot, sort of all over the components inside the shift tower. So if I only replace the dust boot, and not the entire shift tower, I’ll have to disassemble the shift tower and thoroughly clean it. I’ve read that they aren’t too complicated, but the level on the shift tower is pretty rusted up and I might feel better about replacing the entire shift tower. My problem is that every NV3550 shift tower I see online has a sharp bend in the shift lever, but mine only has a slight bend. Maybe some of you more familiar with these transmissions can identify whether my shift tower is not stock. I’ll attach images.

6A24F42B-DE57-4E01-AF33-56647CF3C622.jpeg

2972B556-17F4-4E01-B663-892CE0C0464F.jpeg

9CA316A2-460D-4EF7-9B8C-8B0E00A3BD8E.jpeg

Thanks, good to know that one would work. What I ended up doing was disassembling the shift tower, cleaning each piece, removing all the surface rust, and repainting the rod. I ordered a new rubber cap (the top part of the tower assembly) and replaced the old one to keep water out in the future. When I was done, it looked like a brand new shift tower, and functioned like one too. Since water had been in my transmission from before, it took a couple fluid changes to make it shift like new again, but the hard shifting was from the shift forks within the transmission i believe. That’s based on a few videos I watched where people had similar problems shifting when their trans fluid was contaminated. Anyway it’s been a few months and everything has been 100% perfect this whole time.