NV3550 sticky shifting

03coloradowrangler

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Having issues with intermittent sticky shifting lately in the transmission, a little perplexed.

03 wrangler 6CYL, 204k miles, original NV3550 transmission.

when the jeep was initially purchased a few years back with ~140k miles, I had drained the transmission "fluid" which was red. was a very thin viscosity but looked identical to ATF. no shifting issues were present at the time but was done as one of them "who knows what the previous owner had done". I went with Pennzoil synchromesh for the replacement fluid with the Chrysler manual trans fluid spec number MS-9224 printed on the label.

about 50k miles of perfectly fine shifting and no problems otherwise.

earlier this year I decided it was time to replace the fluid in the transmission and again went with the pennzoil syncromesh with the same MS-9224 fluid spec. its been about 5k miles'ish estimated and just the past few weeks ive been having intermittent difficulty downshifting to the following gear while decelerating on highway exit ramps after about 20 minutes of 75mph driving.

Im at 204k miles on the original transmission, its behaving perfectly fine other than the occasional sticky downshifts observed these past few weeks. and to clarify.. by sticky, I mean ill be grabbing ahold of the shifter and casually attempt to shift out of gear but am blocked from doing so and ill attempt to shift again and its fine like nothing is wrong.

could happen at any point too. could be going from 5th to 4th and it sticks once but is fine after reattempting to shift. or I could downshift out of 5th working down the gears and 3rd gear decides to stick but then fine thereafter.

I have looked through the NV3550 factory manual and found sticky shifting listed as a potential low fluid level possibility but honestly I havent yet crawled under to inspect if oil has been vaporizing as I see no leaks whatsoever otherwise.

Im suspicious I am coming close to EOL for the transmission and ill need to start sorting the funds for another transmission in the near future as this may potentially be my warning sign. thankfully a transmission swap is about a half day job... but I dont just want to Bust Out Another Thousand until I actually need to.

BFF6FDE8-DAFD-4ABC-9DFD-13529AC86E6E.jpeg

does this sound like symptoms of worn out synchronizers, I always see golden glitter when draining the fluid (photo above at a 50k mile fluid change interval). ive replaced shift forks internally in other standard transmissions, so I know internally what they look like.. just not so much on how exactly transmissions function.

Im considering switching over to redline as the transmission lubricant to see if I get any clearing up of the stickiness but am unsure as to whether or not I need the redline MTL or MT-90 as I see suggestions for MTL and others correcting with MT-90 and vice versa. which specific one do I need for the NV3550, pretty sure some sort of GL-4 spec?

The only anecdotal info I can provide is that I used redline (whatever was recommended) in two BMW motorcycle transmissions, one I sold at 155k and the other at 130k. Redline was far superior to previous lubes I had used; Felt the same right before and right after changing it as opposed to previous oils getting notchier and notchier as the miles piled up. All this to say, if any lube is going to fix your sticky shifting, its Redline.

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler
Pennzoil Synchromesh, which is the same as GM Synchromesh and is a conventional gear lube, doesn't have a great reputation for good long-term results. I'd swap it out for Redline MTL which is a fully synthetic lube that is appropriate for both the NV3550 and NSG370. No guarantees but it can't hurt to try. Redline MTL can be purchased on Amazon, you won't find it in auto parts stores.

Pennzoil Synchromesh, which is the same as GM Synchromesh and is a conventional gear lube, doesn't have a great reputation for good long-term results. I'd swap it out for Redline MTL which is a fully synthetic lube that is appropriate for both the NV3550 and NSG370. No guarantees but it can't hurt to try. Redline MTL can be purchased on Amazon, you won't find it in auto parts stores.

What about for the AX15?

Having issues with intermittent sticky shifting lately in the transmission, a little perplexed.

03 wrangler 6CYL, 204k miles, original NV3550 transmission.

when the jeep was initially purchased a few years back with ~140k miles, I had drained the transmission "fluid" which was red. was a very thin viscosity but looked identical to ATF. no shifting issues were present at the time but was done as one of them "who knows what the previous owner had done". I went with Pennzoil synchromesh for the replacement fluid with the Chrysler manual trans fluid spec number MS-9224 printed on the label.

about 50k miles of perfectly fine shifting and no problems otherwise.

earlier this year I decided it was time to replace the fluid in the transmission and again went with the pennzoil syncromesh with the same MS-9224 fluid spec. its been about 5k miles'ish estimated and just the past few weeks ive been having intermittent difficulty downshifting to the following gear while decelerating on highway exit ramps after about 20 minutes of 75mph driving.

Im at 204k miles on the original transmission, its behaving perfectly fine other than the occasional sticky downshifts observed these past few weeks. and to clarify.. by sticky, I mean ill be grabbing ahold of the shifter and casually attempt to shift out of gear but am blocked from doing so and ill attempt to shift again and its fine like nothing is wrong.

could happen at any point too. could be going from 5th to 4th and it sticks once but is fine after reattempting to shift. or I could downshift out of 5th working down the gears and 3rd gear decides to stick but then fine thereafter.

I have looked through the NV3550 factory manual and found sticky shifting listed as a potential low fluid level possibility but honestly I havent yet crawled under to inspect if oil has been vaporizing as I see no leaks whatsoever otherwise.

Im suspicious I am coming close to EOL for the transmission and ill need to start sorting the funds for another transmission in the near future as this may potentially be my warning sign. thankfully a transmission swap is about a half day job... but I dont just want to Bust Out Another Thousand until I actually need to.

View attachment 343276
does this sound like symptoms of worn out synchronizers, I always see golden glitter when draining the fluid (photo above at a 50k mile fluid change interval). ive replaced shift forks internally in other standard transmissions, so I know internally what they look like.. just not so much on how exactly transmissions function.

Im considering switching over to redline as the transmission lubricant to see if I get any clearing up of the stickiness but am unsure as to whether or not I need the redline MTL or MT-90 as I see suggestions for MTL and others correcting with MT-90 and vice versa. which specific one do I need for the NV3550, pretty sure some sort of GL-4 spec?

This is a very very small chance but i found my boot on my transmission had ripped and the thing was filled with some dirt and debris after cleaning it was a little better. Doubt its the issue but if you do any mudding,its a possibility

I have since confirmed the fluid level in the transmission is still full. pulled the fill plug cold with the jeep parked on a flat surface and let about a half cup of synchromesh dribble out overnight in a drain pan.

2 hours of highway driving since allowing the fluid level to level itself overnight, thought I spontaneously solved it but its still acting up.

The only anecdotal info I can provide is that I used redline (whatever was recommended) in two BMW motorcycle transmissions, one I sold at 155k and the other at 130k. Redline was far superior to previous lubes I had used; Felt the same right before and right after changing it as opposed to previous oils getting notchier and notchier as the miles piled up. All this to say, if any lube is going to fix your sticky shifting, its Redline.
I am hoping so. I wasn't sold on redline and figured best to stay with Chrysler spec, but at 200k miles with some issues starting to show I believe it may be time to try. the jeep has always shifted smoothly with synchromesh though but im ready for a bandaid attempt at a repair possibility.

Do an inspection of the clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder seals along with the master cylinder fluid level.
master/slave assembly was replaced last year due to failure of the push pin retainer on the master to pedal connection. will pop the cap and inspect & pull the slave to check functionality and inspect for leaks.

Thank-you Jerry for the clarification on the MTL. I searched around locally and non locally out of town and the only redline I can seem to find is water wetter.
found a semi local speed shop that listed the MTL in stock online. called them up and was informed they didnt have it but could order it for me. talk about bait and switch.
amazon had a gallon of MTL on sale for $60 & free shipping. should be able to fill and drive then drain and fill again to flush most of the synchromesh out.

This is a very very small chance but i found my boot on my transmission had ripped and the thing was filled with some dirt and debris after cleaning it was a little better. Doubt its the issue but if you do any mudding,its a possibility
I have seen photos of torn boots at the shift tower allowing for dirt ingress. its been about a year since I had the shift tower area exposed, will look it over. thanks.

A few years ago, at about 140,000, my transmission started acting up. It would NOT shift into second without a lot of care. I followed Jerry's advice and filled it with the Redline MTL. The problem went away after about two weeks of regular driving. I'm sold, and would not use anything else.

Ive not made much progress with inspecting/working on the jeep trans. spending the day out working in the sun with high humidity, no moving air and just over 90 degree weather, I've not wanted to be in the hot garage when I get home from work.

MTL arrived today via Amazon. Back label if anyone is curious
89FA95D5-C0E3-4763-8D9B-FDE6B43C711E.jpeg

I just drained the synchromesh and the oil looked good coming out. other than a slight gold glow to the draining oilI didnt see any brass flakes and bits like the prior 50k whatever mile drain earlier this year in the drain pan.

I filled the transmission back up with the MTL. Since physically seeing the color of MTL with my own eyes and remembering what I seen while draining after bringing the jeep home from my vehicle purchase... I can confirm someone had filled the transmission with ATF before I acquired it.

This MTL is a off yellow with a every so slightly red or pink tint to it, not blood red like what I thought might have had been "red"line.

I think after a week or two of driving ill end up draining and filling the transmission with the remaining 2'ish quarts of fresh redline left in the bottle.

took the jeep in to work, a hot clear day. just normal around town shifting feels like I filled the transmission with silicone oil. glides into gear alot better than the synchromesh, the word is still out whether or not the stick shifting still will occur. still too hot to feel the need to be out in the garage tinkering though.

I would have tried the redline alot earlier if it was easily locatable locally. I tend to do my work spontaneously so I grab what I can get rather than order and wait.

did notice when draining the synchromesh that the vent hole on the transmission is pretty lackluster. I found it odd that the transfer case has a hose fed up high like the axles but the transmission vent is literally just a cap on a opening atop the transmission. think I may look into picking up some hose and a vent cap to relocate. did quite a bit of deep clean water crossing about a thousand miles ago.

I wouldn't bother, draining the old lube out was enough for the MTL to take over and do its job.

I honestly dont feel the absolute need to do it, but id feel better about it. plus I have enough left to do so as the next trans fluid change will be in about 2 year. theres no sense in kicking a bottle around in my small garage until then additionally doesn't hurt to drain out whatever crud gets stirred up in the meantime.

Reactions: matkal
Did a 4 hour cruise today taking the highway west about 45 minutes away from home. proceeded north for about a half hour, slowly zig zagged through multiple amish farming communities eventually making my way home via every back road possible. not a single hiccup shifting. I believe this MTL has for sure cleared everything up, ive not had one sticky shift since the MTL was introduced to the NV3550 a few days ago.

Reactions: matkal
If it doesn’t my guess is you may need clutch soon - didn’t see the possibility of that in any posts unless I missed it- my 3550 got real sticky as the clutch failed.

If it doesn’t my guess is you may need clutch soon - didn’t see the possibility of that in any posts unless I missed it- my 3550 got real sticky as the clutch failed.

a valid point on the clutch, though I have done a clutch replacement about 20k. didnt think to bring it up.

Reactions: AndyG