NV3550 throwout bearing and clutch replacement advice

ejay

TJ Addict
I'm considering saving some dough and putting the replacement of the throwout bearing and clutch on the list of to-do with the Jeep. I've seen a few how-to videos but to be honest, transmissions are not something I've got deep into in the past. I'm not having any clutch issues. Bit of a rattle when the clutch is out. It's pretty much sounded like that for the past 75k miles so I'm not seriously concerned. (It is a NV3550 after all) But, it's probably due.

I'll obviously need to pull the transmission. Considering the clutch and pressure plate (while I'm in there anyway), pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and all springs/clips as well as the pivot ball.

I've got most of the tools I need to do the job. Don't have a pilot bearing puller. I also only have my paved/graded driveway to do the job in. I'm no stranger to big jobs. I've swapped engines in my old XJ. But, I don't want to be stuck in the work and have it take a solid two weeks to do lest the wife give me the stink eye for another two weeks.

The advice I'm looking for is this:
  • Can I do this job without a vehicle lift? (I have a 3.5" lift on the Jeep and I only have two jack stands and two decent jacks)
  • Can I do this job on a standard driveway or do I absolutely need a flat surface?
  • Can I do this job alone?
  • Any suggestions as to any quality replacement kits out there?
  • How much (ballpark) would it cost to have it done at transmission shop?
  • Any other advice I might be looking for but to dumb to ask about?

Thanks in advance.

Pilot bearing can be rented at autozone or oriley. I’ve done a clutch job under a stock Toyota. So yes you can do it without a lift. You should be able to do it on a standard drive way. You can make transmission mount to fit on your jack or buy a HF transmission jack. I would be careful and play close attention the jack won’t roll back when your drop the trans. Luk clutch kit is the way to go. If it doesn’t come with a metal throwout bearing buy a national all metal one. A shop can have it done for around $400. I would take them a luk clutch kit and make sure they DONT resurface the flywheel.

Pilot bearing can be rented at autozone or oriley. I’ve done a clutch job under a stock Toyota. So yes you can do it without a lift. You should be able to do it on a standard drive way. You can make transmission mount to fit on your jack or buy a HF transmission jack. I would be careful and play close attention the jack won’t roll back when your drop the trans. Luk clutch kit is the way to go. If it doesn’t come with a metal throwout bearing buy a national all metal one. A shop can have it done for around $400. I would take them a luk clutch kit and make sure they DONT resurface the flywheel.

Average shop would charge $400 for everything labor included? Shit, for that price I might as well have them screw it up instead of me. ;)

I didn’t have time to do my clutch. A shop charged me $400 I took them the luk clutch kit which was around $100 something. You might have to go to a few different shops to find the right deal.

Reactions: ejay
I did my clutch with all 4 wheels on the ground, in my garage and by myself in 1 day. The only special tools you really need is about 3 feet of extensions for those top 2 bell housing bolts, the proper torx bit for those same bolts and I would buy a cheap transmission jack at Harbor Freight. I also did not separate my TC from the transmission, I pulled it out as one unit.

I did mine back in November, had 4 jack stands and put it up as high as I could on those. I also bought one of these cheap tranny jacks from harbor freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html
It held up fine for this one job, I left the transfer case attached and it didn’t seem to mind. The job was a complete breeze other than the drivers side torx bell housing bolt. It rounded off pretty much as soon as I looked at it. I ended up blowing the head of it off with a plasma cutter. Replaced both of those with standard hex head bolts.

For the pilot bearing, use bread. I’ve used this trick three times now on different engines, works every time: pack the hole full of bread, take a 3/8 extension or a punch, wrap electrical tape around it until it’s the same diameter as the hole, to act as a “seal”. Keep hammering the extension into the hole. Stop and repack with bread as it gets compressed. Eventually, it’ll pop right out.
Ive heard of people doing the same thing with grease, but bread is a lot easier to clean up than grease once the bearing pops out.

I think it’s totally doable by yourself, as long as you’re comfortable with the “mechanics” of what you’re attempting. I had a couple buddies over while I did mine, but they did more beer drinkin than they did help me!

Reactions: ejay and CodaMan

I would steer clear of most throw out bearings and purchase a Timken.
Most of the TOBs available at online Parts Stores are Chinese knock offs (need I say more).
Timken is the quality name in bearings....
Amazon has the Timken TOB #614093 available.
Years ago when I replaced the clutch on my '98 XJ 4.0L I purchased the Luk clutch kit and swapped the TOB they included in the kit with a Timken.
If you want to replace the TOB again in a year or so.... go with the Chinese knock off.

Last edited: