NV3550 TSB (pops out of first gear)

JPAZIDO

Has anyone done or know of anyone who has done the repair to the NV3550 1st gear pops out?
Does anyone else have this issue?

I have been living with it since 35K miles, I bought mine it 1999, it is a 2000 Sport.

I am looking for the parts to do the TSB and fix it. They are nowhere to be found.

TSB 21-005-01 Same pretty much as a NV3500 Dodge.

Any help? Back in 2003 I replaced it, only to get another NV3500 popping out of 1st gear. (Crooked shop maybe sold me back my own transmission)

John

Last edited:
What parts are required to do the fix?

BTW, next time do the smart thing and replace it with a AX-15. They're much cheaper, parts are much more readily available (and cheaper too), and anyone with a bad NV3550 seems to swap in an AX-15 in it's place anyways, since it's a direct bolt-in.

Reactions: TJ_2000
+1 to the AX-15 recommendations. In the meantime, have you tried switching the gear oil to Redline MTL? It's not a miracle worker, but I know some people have seen symptoms of gears jumping out diminish with that gear oil.

Haven't heard of that particular problem...though I do know about parts supply for the NV3550. I had to replace my input shaft. What a pain in the ass. I know I plan on replacing it when it fails with an AX15.

Thanks for the AX ideas. I am resisting because it's not made in America like the NV. Call me old Fashioned to care.
Could not buy no Japanese speedo for my Harley either.

I want to fix this POS and make it work. I can get by using only 2nd gear but the 1st gear in these is awesome.

I have found a workaround for now, but would like to fix it. If I use the transmission to slow me down before a stop, It WILL NOT! pop out of gear, ever. But if I put it into first while at a stop already then, screw it. Pops out just as reliably.

I am impressed to get some responses.

The NV3550 was made in Asia.
But I completely understand. I try to buy American Made. My lift, lights, bumpers, sliders, soft top and tires are all American made. But the fact is. The NV3550 is a dead transmission and the AX15 is just as good but still made brand new today.

To add. The 1st in the 3550 and AX15 is a different of 0.18. You wont notice that.

The NV3550 was made in Asia.
But I completely understand. I try to buy American Made. My lift, lights, bumpers, sliders, soft top and tires are all American made. But the fact is. The NV3550 is a dead transmission and the AX15 is just as good but still made brand new today.

To add. The 1st in the 3550 and AX15 is a different of 0.18. You wont notice that.

Did not know that. :-\

I just might dig around for an AX then.

Thanks!!