O2 codes everywhere!

Chrmer30

Hi all-

Had a P0138 Code and had the O2 senor replaced. The hole was striped so they welded a new piece and installed the new sensor (Not a Bosch).
Two weeks later I got a P0133 Code, and haven’t replaced that sensor yet.

Today I also got a P0153 Code showing.

Any ideas what the heck is going on? All the sensors failing at the same time?

What should I have checked out?

05 with about 125k on it

Thanks!!!!!

Hi all-

Had a P0138 Code and had the O2 senor replaced. The hole was striped so they welded a new piece and installed the new sensor (Not a Bosch).
Two weeks later I got a P0133 Code, and haven’t replaced that sensor yet.

Today I also got a P0153 Code showing.

Any ideas what the heck is going on? All the sensors failing at the same time?

What should I have checked out?

05 with about 125k on it

Thanks!!!!!
I think you need to have NGK/NTK brand O2 Sensors, there is a specific thread on that too if you search for it. I would also just replace all 4 of them as preventative maintenance. You have 125k on the clock then many things are due for an update, and this is something you could do yourself. There is a special offset O2 socket that will make things easier on the removal of the old ones.

Reactions: StG58
I think you need to have NGK/NTK brand O2 Sensors, there is a specific thread on that too if you search for it. I would also just replace all 4 of them as preventative maintenance. You have 125k on the clock then many things are due for an update, and this is something you could do yourself. There is a special offset O2 socket that will make things easier on the removal of the old ones.

Yes, check out this thread:
The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

You need to first make sure that you are running NTK/NGK oxygen sensors, anything else won't work and will give you error codes, plain and simple. The smart move like @EJD said would be to replace all four of them. This is preventative maintenance, and it's normal with 125k by all means. You engine will thank you, and it will run better as a result.

That's personally where I would start.

Reactions: EJD and StG58
Yes, replaced the first one with an NTK, and ordered the next one from Amazon and need to get that put in. Will replace the other two then and hopefully that takes care of the issue!

Reactions: Chris
Yes, replaced the first one with an NTK, and ordered the next one from Amazon and need to get that put in. Will replace the other two then and hopefully that takes care of the issue!

Yep, do that first, then clear the codes. If they still come back after that, then let us know.

Just a brief follow-up. Took the Jeep to the garage to get the other O2 sensors replaced. They ran a diagnostic on it, and said no codes showed up and said they really didn’t want to replace them if the codes weren’t showing. Strange, but glad they were honest about it. Quirky Jeep or something, but they will be due to be replaced soon enough. Had the plugs and belt replaced though....

Bad pre-catalytic converters can and do cause false OE sensor codes. My '04 was getting intermittent O2 codes that weren't fixed with new NTK O2 sensors. It turned out to be my pre-cats that were bad. Replacing the cats cured all my O2 codes and CELs.

Is your Jeep a 4.0L? California compliant (4x O2 sensors)? It would certainly be beneficial to change the O2 sensors if they are very old, however, at 125K miles and those codes - I would (carefully) check your vacuum lines, and make sure they are connected properly and do not have any cracks. Also check your exhaust manifold while your at it like @StG58 mentioned.

You may meed to rule out a wiring short if you continue getting P0153. I have found the best way to do this (to find "low hanging fruit") is to use an OBDII scanner with graphing capabilities. Set it up to monitor your O2 sensors, then carefully trace the wiring with your hands along the runs from the sensors to the PCM. Wiggle them a bit, if you start seeing a steady spike when you manipulate a certain section of your wiring, then you can pinpoint the problematic area.

Reactions: Chrmer30
Bad pre-catalytic converters can and do cause false OE sensor codes. My '04 was getting intermittent O2 codes that weren't fixed with new NTK O2 sensors. It turned out to be my pre-cats that were bad. Replacing the cats cured all my O2 codes and CELs.
How can you tell if it’s the pre-cats?
(Thanks for the reply by the way)!

Not sure how to test pre-cats, but if O2 codes are being generated and replacing the O2 sensors doesn't get rid of them, odds are good that one or both of the pre-cats are bad. One of my pre-cats disintegrated inside and blew its insides down into the main cat and plugged it badly enough it slowed me down from 65 to 5 mph in less than a quarter mile. Replacing all of the cats but reusing the same O2 sensors cured all the codes which I haven't had in 4-5 years now.

Not sure how to test pre-cats, but if O2 codes are being generated and replacing the O2 sensors doesn't get rid of them, odds are good that one or both of the pre-cats are bad. One of my pre-cats disintegrated inside and blew its insides down into the main cat and plugged it badly enough it slowed me down from 65 to 5 mph in less than a quarter mile. Replacing all of the cats but reusing the same O2 sensors cured all the codes which I haven't had in 4-5 years now.
Thanks, will keep a watch out for that then. Not sure why the codes went away, but if they come back, I’ll replace the sensors and hopefully that will be that. Love my 05, but am definitely putting some money into it- my land boat!

My 2005 LJ has all four O2 sensor codes trip every summer when it gets hot out. Like the other suggestions, I replaced all 4 O2 sensors, but that didn't correct the issue.

When I failed emissions, the emissions test center kept the Jeep for a week to try and figure it out, and after all of the emissions readings and PCM not registering certain readings, they concluded it was the PCM. They said to go to the dealer and have them swap the PCM since they will warranty it, or just to live with it and bring the Jeep back when it cooled down to pass emissions. I chose to live with it rather than pay a grand for a refurbished PCM that may or may not correct the problem. Been like this for years with no issues, just annoyances.

Reactions: Chrmer30