OBDI fuel injection tech help

59 wagon man

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
hoping to finally find an answer to my dilemma. My screen name obviously relates to my other baby, my 59 chevy wagon. My youngest daughter grew up while we traveled all over fla and up into Ga and Tenn,, On different trips the wagon has been as far away as texas ,drove it across the bricks at indy, cruised the GM proving grounds in Michagan and survived time in NY. I had replaced the original 283 /powerglide combo with a 350 and a 700r4 and it was fine for yrs. Well you know how it goes I needed a little more power and before you know it I had a 383 stroker with 420 hp and 460 ft-lbs of torque with a fast ez efi system on a chromed gm ramjet fuel injection manifold . well I got it running and it ran great . I put on 500 miles to break it in ,changed the oil and set out for charlotte nc for the 2014 hot rod power tour. Everything was good till I hit northern Ga where it began to stumble and finally it died on the south Carolina border. well AAA towed it to a great little shop and the guy was very helpful but small towns don't always have the parts you need in stock so I had to stay overnight . About 3 am the unthinkable happened as a drunk driver slammed the jeep next to me into my 59.
so here is the problem sinc then the car has never run right . it will foul out the plugs in about 30 minutes of drivng I have changed the following
1- plugs numerous times
2- fuel pump in tank (part of conversion ) failed twice due to bad gas
3-thermostat - car wont seem to go above 180 even when I sealed the radiator with cardboard the max temp was 200 after 30 mins but it still ran rich
4- changed out the fast ezi efi system for a gm tuned port setup designed to work with my intake basically plug and play( just the wiring harness and computer this is what was used on a 1990 camaro iroc z so it is a simple obd 1 setup so we can now see what is going on easier

One of my friends said a possible cause is the single o2 sensor location due to
a- only reads half the exhaust due to its location in one downpipe
b- too far away from the engine - it is located about 30" from the cast iron exhaust manifold
c- he suggests to install the o2 sensor inn the crossover pipe - approximatively 6" from the manifold there is a crossover pipe between the 2 banks of the v8. I could probably fit an o2 sensor in there

I am so frustrated with this swap I am ready to pull the intake and computer and swap it out for a carburetor leaving me with a nice shiny piece of man cave art
K.I.S.S. - if you;ve had nightmares like this you understand

DSCN1642.JPG

Beautiful car. Could it be a fuel pressure issue? Possibly bad regulator or plugged or kinked return line. I wouldn’t think O2 sensor location would cause it to dump enough fuel to foul the plugs. I’d put an o-scope on the injectors, install a fuel pressure gauge in the line and watch the pulse width and fuel pressure as it warms up. You should see the system go into closed loop once the temp comes up.

sorry I forgot I have also changed the regulator as it had gone bad and was shooting gas into the vacuum hose to the intake. I also have a gauge righ on the fuel rail and it runs 42 psi.
I also dropped it at a friend who has much more knowledge than me and several scanners. he said the o2 sensor just seems to hang around 400 never really moving much either way