OEM Cassette Radio Install Question

cash

Supporting Member
Hey, audio experts, any help is greatly appreciated! I am trying to install an original OEM cassette radio in my 97 TJ and just have a few questions about what some of these wires are and where they go.

I assume the 7 pin clips just match up, black to black and gray to white.

But what to do with the wire (circled in blue) coming from the Jeep? I think this was a ground? It was attached to a black wire from the CD player I took out. Does this just get screwed down to contact the back of the original radio unit using the screw hole in the back of the radio? Or does it need to attach to a wire somehow?

What is the thing circled in red coming from the Jeep? It looks like a little fuse or box that was taped up, not used with the CD player that was in there?

Circled in green, there is a black and blue wire attached to something on the back of the radio I purchased. Does this need to connect to anything from the Jeep? Is this to connect to the ground?

Thanks so much for any guidance here!

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

The red circled looks to be the plug for the steering wheel controls if equipped, the blue circle is the chassis ground and gets attached to the radio. Not sure what the green circle is.

Reactions: Chris
The red circled looks to be the plug for the steering wheel controls if equipped, the blue circle is the chassis ground and gets attached to the radio. Not sure what the green circle is.

TJs had steering wheel controls for the stereo? The only steering wheel controls I have are cruise control related.

Yeah, not sure. I thought the blue and black wire from the radio (circled in green) might be for a power antenna if that was ever on a Jeep or maybe another Chrysler/Dodge vehicle that had this radio?

So, I guess I will give it a shot with the two 7-pin connectors and just screw mount that ground wire to the back of the radio?

I guess I can ignore the wire circled in green and also the little box circled in red?

Is the wire for the light dimmer already in the 7-pin connectors or could it be for that?

I could be wrong about that.

I don't recall seeing the red and green circled parts on my 2005 TJ when I removed my factory radio. However, it's also different than the earlier models, and I know they changed a lot of little things over the years, so who knows.

Yeah, not sure. I thought the blue and black wire from the radio (circled in green) might be for a power antenna if that was ever on a Jeep or maybe another Chrysler/Dodge vehicle that had this radio?

So, I guess I will give it a shot with the two 7-pin connectors and just screw mount that ground wire to the back of the radio?

I guess I can ignore the wire circled in green and also the little box circled in red?

Is the wire for the light dimmer already in the 7-pin connectors or could it be for that?

The green circle actually looks to be a ground that was cut off the donor vehicle.

The dimmer is in the 7 pin connector.

They never had power antennas

Thanks. So, to ground it, should I screw that chassis ground wire to the back of the radio in the center screw hole or wire it to the thing circled in green on the back of the radio? Or does it even matter?

Thanks. So, to ground it, should I screw that chassis ground wire to the back of the radio in the center screw hole or wire it to the thing circled in green on the back of the radio? Or does it even matter?

The OEM was bolted to the back of the radio. Doesn't really matter as long as it's grounded.

Is the green wire for sub-woofer "power on" signal? Just guessing here...

Or some other trigger?