OEM Mopar locking gas cap?

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
Is 05278655AB the right part number for the OEM locking gas cap cover? I've been wanting to get either a locking fuel door or a locking gas cap ever since I got the Jeep. Not worried about fuel theft, but more about someone putting crap in the fuel tank. None of the aftermarket locking fuel doors I found look to have decent locks and seem too expensive for what they are sadly.

https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/st...arage=true&bodyStyle=TJ77&year=2005&make=Jeep

Is 05278655AB the right part number for the OEM locking gas cap cover? I've been wanting to get either a locking fuel door or a locking gas cap ever since I got the Jeep. Not worried about fuel theft, but more about someone putting crap in the fuel tank. None of the aftermarket locking fuel doors I found look to have decent locks and seem too expensive for what they are sadly.

https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/st...arage=true&bodyStyle=TJ77&year=2005&make=Jeep

Hmm mine I think came from factory, it actually unlocks with the vehicle key. It looks like the above has separate keys but that might be expected buying it afterwards.

Hmm mine I think came from factory, it actually unlocks with the vehicle key. It looks like the above has separate keys but that might be expected buying it afterwards.

Lucky you! Does anyone know the part number for this?

I know from past experience on other cars that it's always better to go with OEM gas caps.

Does anyone know the part number for this?

05016763AE for 2001-2006 ... cap, cylinder, tether, no key ... needs to be " keyed by technician"

I just bought one on Ebay for $25 shipped. I'll see what shows up next week.

Reactions: psrivats

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183316985143

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
05016763AE for 2001-2006 ... cap, cylinder, tether, no key ... needs to be " keyed by technician"

I just bought one on Ebay for $25 shipped. I'll see what shows up next week.

Thanks, I'll also get one and take it to a locksmith nearby. Hoping I don't have to go to the dealership for this

Reactions: tomtaylz
Just wanted to post an update here. I ordered my locking gas cap from eBay, from a Jeep dealership in Arizona (Airpark Dodge Chrysler Jeep from Scottsdale, AZ). I paid $42.90 + $5 shipping. I got a OEM Mopar part, and the best part, they asked for my VIN#, cut a key for me free of charge that works with the lock cylinder (key also opens my doors and starts the Jeep). The cap and key arrived in 2 days and there are no codes whatsoever. Got a official receipt with a hassle free 30 day return from the dealership if there are any problems. Can't have had this any better. I'll rest easy now that I can lock my gas tank.

For those who are looking for the same, here is what I bought (01-06 only).

@Chris , weren't you looking for one at some point as well?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=163252335737

Many thanks to @Fouledplugs and @L J for helping me out.

Hmmm... order one for a JK/JL, steal the radio and anything else. Relock the door.

Does not seem like the best business practice. Every time I need a key they make me provide proof that the vehicle is mine. But order s gas cap and you can open everything but cant start.

Just wanted to post an update here. I ordered my locking gas cap from eBay, from a Jeep dealership in Arizona (Airpark Dodge Chrysler Jeep from Scottsdale, AZ). I paid $42.90 + $5 shipping. I got a OEM Mopar part, and the best part, they asked for my VIN#, cut a key for me free of charge that works with the lock cylinder (key also opens my doors and starts the Jeep). The cap and key arrived in 2 days and there are no codes whatsoever. Got a official receipt with a hassle free 30 day return from the dealership if there are any problems. Can't have had this any better. I'll rest easy now that I can lock my gas tank.

For those who are looking for the same, here is what I bought (01-06 only).

@Chris , weren't you looking for one at some point as well?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=163252335737

Many thanks to @Fouledplugs and @L J for helping me out.

Very cool! It wasn't me who was looking for this, but that's cool to know nonetheless. How did they cut you a key that opens your doors and starts the Jeep unless you sent them a key to match?

Hmmm... order one for a JK/JL, steal the radio and anything else. Relock the door.

Does not seem like the best business practice. Every time I need a key they make me provide proof that the vehicle is mine. But order s gas cap and you can open everything but cant start.

I understand your concern. Ideally they should have asked for both VIN and registration, I suppose. I could have just gotten the gas cap and cylinder and taken it to my local dealership or a locksmith. I'm happy not to have to gone to either place and potentially spent more for the same end point as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Very cool! It wasn't me who was looking for this, but that's cool to know nonetheless. How did they cut you a key that opens your doors and starts the Jeep unless you sent them a key to match?

I sent them the VIN. Being an official dealership, they must be able to cut a key matching that. The key even looks just like my OEM keys. I don't have that SKIM module in my Jeep that needs a special key. This way, I don't have to carry an extra key just for the gas cap. One key opens everythingas it should.

Now I wonder if it's possible to add the SKIM to my Jeep.

Last edited:
Now I wonder if it's possible to add the SKIM to my Jeep.

I bought these but haven't installed them/had them programmed yet:

56010209AD - skim module
Y160-PT - ilco (non-Mopar) transponder key ... at least two needed

you'll also need a dealer or someone with the computer capable of activating the keys to get it working

So the key they made will start your engine?

Yes, it does. I was OK with giving them my VIN since they are a dealer but I can see why you think this is bad practice. If @Chris also agrees, I'll delete the information I posted. I'm sure they act in good faith and give you a spare key out of courtesy. They could simply "program" the key cylinder to a key that matches the VIN you supply and then you'd have no misgivings, right @Boinked ?

Last edited:
I bought these but haven't installed them/had them programmed yet:

56010209AD - skim module
Y160-PT - ilco (non-Mopar) transponder key ... at least two needed

you'll also need a dealer or someone with the computer capable of activating the keys to get it working

Thank you once again! I'll do some research.

Yes, it does. I was OK with giving them my VIN since they are a dealer but I can see why you think this is bad practice. If @Chris also agrees, I'll delete the information I posted. I'm sure they act in good faith and give you a spare key out of courtesy. They could simply "program" the key cylinder to a key that matches the VIN you supply and then you'd have no misgivings, right @Boinked ?
I agree with that completely.