OEM Multi-Disc CD Changer Setups

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
For those who had the factory 6-disc changer: where was it located? Or was it behind/inside the head unit somehow?

I think @pagrey had one.

Updates:
  • It seems that for the 97–02 stereos (with square corners), there was a 6-disc changer located either under a seat or in the 'trunk', with a control panel mounted somewhere near the head unit, and with the CD music coming to the head unit via RF modulation (I think).
  • For the 03–06 units (round corners), the 6-disc changer was also remote on some ("RBB"), but was connected directly to the head unit via an 8-pin DIN cable, with controls integrated into the head unit. And for other round-corner head units of this era (RBV) there was just a four-disc changer integrated directly into the head unit itself.
  • Other Chrysler vehicles came with other options, and it looks like some can work with various head units, depending mainly upon whether designed for RF signals or direct signals, and depending also upon whether you have the right version of the 8-pin DIN cable.

Last edited:
For those who had the factory 6-disc changer: where was it located? Or was it behind/inside the head unit somehow?

I think @pagrey had one.

It's been a minute (or decade) but I'm pretty sure it was built into the head unit in my 05 LJ. The F150 I had around the same time had it in the center console but I know it wasn't there.

I don't think pagrey is around anymore so he probably won't be responding.

• Wow
Reactions: lBasket and SSTJ
For what year? Isn’t that it in the picture of the sound deck that @Jamison C attached to your thread yesterday?

IMG_7744.jpeg

Reactions: SSTJ

I think @pagrey had one.

For what year? Isn’t that it in the picture of the sound deck that @Jamison C attached to your thread yesterday?

View attachment 430899

I had one in my 02 when I first bought it. I think it was under the rear seat but I can’t remember. There was some special adapter it hooked into the radio with.

I actually still have the unit itself, but no cables or cords. Are you looking for one @SSTJ ?

Reactions: SSTJ

View attachment 430899

Dang, good catch. I should just spend more time in that PDF.

I have an 05 and it's all in the head unit

Ok so maybe it was in later years that they integrated it with the head unit. Interesting.

I had one in my 02 when I first bought it. I think it was under the rear seat but I can’t remember. There was some special adapter it hooked into the radio with.

I actually still have the unit itself, but no cables or cords. Are you looking for one @SSTJ ?

Do you have both the head unit and the changer? Yes, I'm thinking about this.

My 334 CD's are on my hard drive (FLAC) and a copy of the files go onto a USB now....
Along with grabbed youtube music MP4 videos.

All fit on the tip of my finger.
20230608_102450.jpg

Reactions: Dr. Internet
Do you have both the head unit and the changer? Yes, I'm thinking about this.

The head unit was factory. I believe it was an in-line adapter with RCA cables that connected the audio when the CD player was engaged. You can wire up RCAs to feed off of the speaker wiring but I’m not sure how you would tell it to select the changer as the audio output.
IMG_2676.jpeg

The head unit was factory. I believe it was an in-line adapter with RCA cables that connected the audio when the CD player was engaged. You can wire up RCAs to feed off of the speaker wiring but I’m not sure how you would tell it to select the changer as the audio output.
View attachment 430985

Agreed; I think I would need the matching head unit, like yours.

Agreed; I think I would need the matching head unit, like yours.

I think you’re getting confused. On the 97-02 models your head unit doesn’t matter, they all have the same hookups. There’s a series of components that get wired into the original head unit via factory adapters to make the changer work. This is from the parts catalog.
IMG_8213.png

As a side note, I do remember my factory changer having a small controller mounted to the dash under the ash tray. It lit up but it didn’t display anything. Wish I had a picture of it.

• Wow
Reactions: lBasket
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.

Thanks. I actually need one that would fit the early models (square corners). Sorry I didn't clarify that in the OP, but I didn't anticipate this becoming a "WTB" thread.

My ‘02 has a six disc changer located in the centre console. All controls on head unit.

Thanks. Yep, sounds like that was the setup until 03, when they started being integrated into the head unit. So on the early models, it sounds like the center console and 'trunk' were the two places for the six-disc changer.

I think you’re getting confused. On the 97-02 models your head unit doesn’t matter, they all have the same hookups. There’s a series of components that get wired into the original head unit via factory adapters to make the changer work.

Ah, interesting. I assumed that head units like your RBN had an extra plug in the back for the six-disc changer. But if I hear you right, the plugs are all the same on the back, and there's just some fancy adapter in the wiring that allows the CD-player buttons to talk to the six-disc changer? But even so, I wonder if there may be some buttons that your RBN has that my RAZ doesn't have, for functions that a single-disc player wouldn't have, like moving to the next disc.

Aha, no, I see now that any kind of 'extra buttons' would be controlled by #7 in your second screenshot, which you mention was mounted under your ash tray. Well, maybe I'll just start collecting parts and see if I ever find enough to put a whole kit together.

Nice, thank you. Ok, good to see the whole kit and understand it better.

But gosh, looking at that makes me realize how much hardware it is. Most of my 'little spaces' are already taken up by a powered sub, CB, and Ham, so I'll have to think about this before I dive in.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
What’s to think about? All this stuff is obsolete.