OEM radio auxiliary input

Rcroane

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
If I add an auxiliary input device to my OEM radio, will I be able to play streaming services like Spotify, Pandora, etc? Wasn't sure if it can only play music stored on an iPod.

And, yes, I am aware that I can get a modern head unit for a price close to the auxiliary device. Had one of those....can't stand all the disco light displays. I have a 1Factory Radio OEM unit with Bluetooth added, but the Bluetooth function failed. Don't feel like paying to send it for repair.

Thanks,

If I add an auxiliary input device to my OEM radio, will I be able to play streaming services like Spotify, Pandora, etc? Wasn't sure if it can only play music stored on an iPod.

And, yes, I am aware that I can get a modern head unit for a price close to the auxiliary device. Had one of those....can't stand all the disco light displays. I have a 1Factory Radio OEM unit with Bluetooth added, but the Bluetooth function failed. Don't feel like paying to send it for repair.

Thanks,

IIRC there was a thread about this recently and someone posted a link to a Bluetooth module available for 03-06 radios that plugs in where the factory satellite radio plug is.

Reactions: SSTJ
And, yes, I am aware that I can get a modern head unit for a price close to the auxiliary device. Had one of those....can't stand all the disco light displays.
You don't have to - there are several "non-disco" stereos out there. The Jensen "Heavy Duty" is the best known and several of us here have them, but there are others too.

You don't have to - there are several "non-disco" stereos out there. The Jensen "Heavy Duty" is the best known and several of us here have them, but there are others too.

If these are the ones you are talking about

Thanks,

If you ae using an iPod as a source then no, only the music stored on the iPod.

If you are using an iPhone (or any smart phone really) then anything you would hear from you phone speaker would play through the radio, including streaming services, phone calls and videos.

I hear you about aftermarket stereos. Why can't someone make a 1.5 Din all black unit?

If these are the ones you are talking about

If you ae using an iPod as a source then no, only the music stored on the iPod.

If you are using an iPhone (or any smart phone really) then anything you would hear from you phone speaker would play through the radio, including streaming services, phone calls and videos.

I hear you about aftermarket stereos. Why can't someone make a 1.5 Din all black unit?

Thanks. I would be using my iPhone. Any idea if the Bluetooth device I linked above would work even though the radio already has an internal Bluetooth device (that doesn't work)? Or, should I just stick with an auxiliary input device?

I’m not sure about this, but I believe that the Bluetooth receiver you posted above plugs into the back of your OEM unit, but only if your OEM unit has an input plug/port of that particular shape. I recognize that plug as being the same that comes on OEM units equipped with an external cd changer. So my first guess that you need to have an external cd changer, and then you sacrifice/replace it with that Bluetooth receiver.

I’m not sure about this, but I believe that the Bluetooth receiver you posted above plugs into the back of your OEM unit, but only if your OEM unit has an input plug/port of that particular shape. I recognize that plug as being the same that comes on OEM units equipped with an external cd changer. So my first guess that you need to have an external cd changer, and then you sacrifice/replace it with that Bluetooth receiver.

Yeah, the picture of the head unit in the link you posted is one of the head units that comes with an external cd changer.

So back to your original question. If what you install, really has just a basic aux input, then you can play anything through that plugs in there. An iPod, an iPhone with the right adapter, or you could even buy a Bluetooth receiver that has a audio jack output, and then you plug that in your new aux input.

But if you are sure that it’s Bluetooth, you want, then I wouldn’t go with aux input, I would just go with installing some kind of Bluetooth receiver.

Reactions: Rcroane
So back to your original question. If what you install, really has just a basic aux input, then you can play anything through that plugs in there. An iPod, an iPhone with the right adapter, or you could even buy a Bluetooth receiver that has a audio jack output, and then you plug that in your new aux input.

But if you are sure that it’s Bluetooth, you want, then I wouldn’t go with aux input, I would just go with installing some kind of Bluetooth receiver.

I ended up getting a Grom auxiliary input device that plugs into the CD changer socket. Very happy with it.