Off road trailer tire pressure

prodd

What tire pressure is best for a trailer? I just recently bent my 2k lbs rockwell trailer axel and the guy I buy them from suggested that my tires might be to hard for the weight of my trailer (800#). I ended up with a 3500# rockwell axle to replace it and hopefully eliminate that problem.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Typically, which is different from automotive tires, trailer and bike tires tires are inflated to the pressure molded onto the sidewall. But that also depends on the trailer tires having the proper Load Range for the maximum rated gross weight for your trailer. Gross weight being the total combined weight of the trailer and the maximum weight the trailer was designed to carry.

Typically, which is different from automotive tires, trailer and bike tires tires are inflated to the pressure molded onto the sidewall. But that also depends on the trailer tires having the proper Load Range for the maximum rated gross weight for your trailer. Gross weight being the total combined weight of the trailer and the maximum weight the trailer was designed to carry.
Thanks for the reply, I'm running Goodyear wrangler Kevlar MTR's on the trailer. 32x11.50R15 nonbeadlock. I was looking to see how low I should let them down to improve the ride.

Oh ok, that's not a trailer tire. For safety reasons, automotive radial tires like the MT/R are not used as trailer tires. You really want bias belted tires on trailers because you need stiff sidewalls. Radial automotive sidewalls aren't stiff enough. ST (special trailer) rated tires should be used on trailers.

How much max weight will they ever have to carry?

Last edited:
Hard to say what the pressure should be on those. I'd just make sure they have a definite radial tire type sidewall bulge, likely in the low 20's based on the 800 lb. trailer weight but caveat emptor.

Hard to say what the pressure should be on those. I'd just make sure they have a definite radial tire type sidewall bulge, likely in the low 20's based on the 800 lb. trailer weight but caveat emptor.
Again I thank you for the response. I am going on a 3 day trial run starting at 20 psi and will have to adjust from there to determine the optimal pressure seeing as "caveat emptor" this is a custom built trailer and the only one I know of of it's kind. Cheers!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Pic of said trailer?
Hey bobthetj03 I think you have seen my trailer before. And as far as the one of a kind I was referring to the sprung weight, unsprung weight and specific tires that i am currently running. And an update being the 20psi I started at with those tires was great on the dirt tracks but on the highway at speed they had more unwanted play.
fc9c903f16cb9a39a16e80066240fd46.jpg
f383a74bf08d68c87cd13bd35241417d.jpg

Hey bobthetj03 I think you have seen my trailer before. And as far as the one of a kind I was referring to the sprung weight, unsprung weight and specific tires that i am currently running. And an update being the 20psi I started at with those tires was great on the dirt tracks but on the highway at speed they had more unwanted play.
View attachment 15016View attachment 15017

Yep, looks familiar now.

Yeah 20 psi sounded too low for the highway but without experience on that to give a specific recommendation it would have been tough to just say higher was better.

Radial automotive tires on a trailer are really not recommended but for that little tiny trailer it's not worth changing them to ST rated trailer tires. Just keep the pressure up a little higher so they won't cause sideways sway, radial tires give greater side-to-side flex than bias-belted tires do.

I built a utility trailer about 5 yrs. ago. It weighs about 750 lbs., has a 3,500 lb. axle and 205/75/14 ST tires. I run it with 28 lbs. pressure empty and full. It trails as true as can be and the tire wear has been great.

picture.php?albumid=3124&pictureid=42761.jpg

I'm close to finishing an expedition trailer that will be a bit heavier (900 lbs.?). It also has a 3,500 lb. axle but the tires are bigger at 245/75R/16. It currently has Duratracs load range E. I've had it on the road unloaded for general testing with 25 lbs. in the tires and so far so good. I've yet to run it with the lid (steel/aluminum + kayaks & bikes) so there's more weight to come. I have the same tires in load ranges C & D so I'll be trying different tires and pressures for a bit yet. "Stay Tuned".

picture.php?albumid=4455&pictureid=54030.jpg