Offroad floor Jacks

Goes high enough to lift from frame rails?

Yes, the two pads are on threaded shafts and you can thread them out. Not 8" but enough. They also slide apart far enough to clear the skid.

20231207_152827.jpg

20231207_152856.jpg

20231207_152911.jpg

Last edited:
I like the carpet. Mine would get very dirty!

I change it out every time I run into fresh. Just today my son gave me a roll of brand new left from a flip house. Makes it real easy to slide underneath and keeps the floor clean too, and keeps the tires insulated from the concrete for long term storage.

I change it out every time I run into fresh. Just today my son gave me a roll of brand new left from a flip house. Makes it real easy to slide underneath and keeps the floor clean too, and keeps the tires insulated from the concrete for long term storage.

I have a mat meant to put under an exercise machine under mine but its too small to be very good.

One thing that should be mentioned for those considering using a floor jack on the frame rails, don't try it in dirt or gravel when the floor jack is perpendicular to the vehicle. The jack needs a smooth surface that it can roll on, if it can't roll it can easily cause damage or slip off the frame because the floor jack, by design, does not lift straight up like a bottle jack, either the jack or the vehicle has to be able to move and if not there will be trouble. I'm sure most already know that but it's worth mentioning for beginners.
I still remember a reviewer on Amazon for a jack pad made a huge deal out of blaming the jack pad when he raised his car with a floor jack perpendicular to the vehicle, the jack couldn't roll and the jack pad split apart and damaged his car at the pinch weld, he even started a blog and went on a mission condemning the manufacturer. A few people replied explaining to him what he had done wrong but he still insisted it was the jack pad's fault. Basically when he raised the car with the jack unable to roll it tried to drag the car sideways by the pinch weld.
You can still find 1 star reviews on most jack pads where the users didn't understand this.

(The offroad jacks that started this thread may roll in dirt but I've never tried one, I guess it would depend on how packed the dirt is but a thick piece of plywood wouldn't hurt)

Last edited:
Another related tip for beginners - if you jack a wheel off the floor to do maintenance and then set the vehicle back down, the friction between the tire and the floor prevents the suspension from getting to the normal rest position (once enough weight is on the tire, it won't slide sideways to allow the suspension to compress.) If you need it in the normal rest position, you have to roll the vehicle backwards or forwards to let the suspension compress completely. This can come into play when changing springs. Don't measure the new spring heights until you roll your TJ forward/backward!

Another related tip for beginners - if you jack a wheel off the floor to do maintenance and then set the vehicle back down, the friction between the tire and the floor prevents the suspension from getting to the normal rest position (once enough weight is on the tire, it won't slide sideways to allow the suspension to compress.) If you need it in the normal rest position, you have to roll the vehicle backwards or forwards to let the suspension compress completely. This can come into play when changing springs. Don't measure the new spring heights until you roll your TJ forward/backward!

And if you lift both sides of one axle and set it down evenly, make sure you don't have it in 4wd because the drivetrain will bind and not let the tires roll to let the suspension relax that way, either.

Reactions: inkedrose and sab
You missed the 911 Racing HF jack conversion kit. I've got a 2 ton jack on big wheels with extensions. Used it a lot...after debeading tires in the snow... lifting the bow of a boat dumped in the woods into my dump trailer.

IMG20230705140518.jpg

-Mac

Last edited:
I have an orange off-road jack too. ;) It works great if you can get a chain around it.

View attachment 482073

Why I made that custom bar...Kubota BX tractors use their own "quick disconnect" system. I cut out some 1/4 plate and welded them to a 2x4 .250 wall tube...added some chain hooks and a receiver. Since my BX's lift capacity is like 600-800 lbs I didn't want to spend 200-300 lbs of that on forks.

-Mac

Reactions: BlueC
Kubota BX tractors use their own "quick disconnect" system.

That sucks. I have an L series with a pinned bucket that I need to convert to a "skid steer" quick attach system. Those little BX tractors are quite popular around here.

That sucks. I have an L series with a pinned bucket that I need to convert to a "skid steer" quick attach system. Those little BX tractors are quite popular around here.

Love mine. Best off-road jack ever...2200 hrs on it. Backhoe has dug a lot of holes...excavated hillsides for two neighbors barns, mine, electrical and water lines...more stumps than I can count.

-Mac

Reactions: BlueC