Oil Change Info

swaddell

So, I am going through a divorce after 20 years of marriage. I have never changed my own oil, but it's time I learn. I have a 1999 Wrangler Sahara, and I know it's about time to change the oil. I have the oil weight and capacity, but I don't know much else. I know there are books at the store to tell you what filter size, but someone was telling me that I would need to change the crush washer/drain plug washer. I researched a bit, but I can't seem to find anything about that, such as size. Can someone help me with that information?

The jeep has a silicone seal embedded in the drain plug bolt so theres no crush washer to worry about. if the drain plug bolt starts leaking just replace the drain plug bolt.. but ive done many changes and never needed to replace it.

Also pro shade tree mechanic tip, Walmart has the best prices on engine oil. Ive found on average the auto part stores want to mark it up $10+ more per gallon & $4+ more per quart. You can also usually find the Mopar MO-090 or Fram PH16 oil filter there pretty cheap too.

Just a heads up too, when you remove the oil filter its gonna make a huge mess down the side of the engine block beneath it. if your crafty you could probably make some sort of funnel shield out of aluminum foil to catch and drain it into a oil drain pan. be ready with paper towels or a rag otherwise.

Get a wide plastic drain pan of some sort big enough to contain 6+ quarts of oil aka something that will contain a gallon and a half of liquid at a minimum. a cat litter sized pan is what I use. The used oil can be bottled back up in whatever jug you want and can be taken to any local auto part store for free disposal, doesnt matter if you didnt buy the oil from them in the first place.

Last edited:
but someone was telling me that I would need to change the crush washer/drain plug washer.

That's a Toyota kinda application , Jeeps don't use crush washers. And you totally can do this ! , a TJ is one of the easiest modern vehicle to change the oil on !

Reactions: Tom Andersen
Watch some YouTube videos, watching someone else do it may help you with context. Buy an oil filter wrench or a set of filter pliers, makes it a lot easier to remove the old filter. Make sure the rubber gasket from the old filter doesn’t stick to the engine. Double gasket will cause a major oil leak. Put a little oil on the new filter gasket before installing.

Buy an oil filter wrench or a set of filter pliers, makes it a lot easier to remove the old filter.

I'll add a suggestion to that, don't use any tool to tighten the filter unless it's impossible to get it right by hand. 90+% of the time I get there by hand but I always think about how much of a PIA it is to take a filter off when someone over did their tightening of the filter that needs removed.

I'll add a suggestion to that, don't use any tool to tighten the filter unless it's impossible to get it right by hand. 90+% of the time I get there by hand but I always think about how much of a PIA it is to take a filter off when someone over did their tightening of the filter that needs removed.

Yeah that was me this weekend cussing myself 😂. Thought I’d never get the filter off.

Welcome to this list. Hope your new future holds many happy years.

There's a wealth of information and knowledgeable, helpful folks here so, don't by shy to ask.
There's also tons of how to instructions with pictures and videos. Also all factory manuals are here so download and keep for reference.

One last and very important thing to remember. NEVER get under your jeep (or any other car) with a floor jack. ALWAYS use quality, heavy jack stands and choke the wheels.

You seem to be eager to learn and stand on your own two feet again.
Good luck @swaddell 👍

Reactions: inkedrose
The jeep has a silicone seal embedded in the drain plug bolt so theres no crush washer to worry about. if the drain plug bolt starts leaking just replace the drain plug bolt.. but ive done many changes and never needed to replace it.

Also pro shade tree mechanic tip, Walmart has the best prices on engine oil. Ive found on average the auto part stores want to mark it up $10+ more per gallon & $4+ more per quart. You can also usually find the Mopar MO-090 or Fram PH16 oil filter there pretty cheap too.

Just a heads up too, when you remove the oil filter its gonna make a huge mess down the side of the engine block beneath it. if your crafty you could probably make some sort of funnel shield out of aluminum foil to catch and drain it into a oil drain pan. be ready with paper towels or a rag otherwise.

Get a wide plastic drain pan of some sort big enough to contain 6+ quarts of oil aka something that will contain a gallon and a half of liquid at a minimum. a cat litter sized pan is what I use. The used oil can be bottled back up in whatever jug you want and can be taken to any local auto part store for free disposal, doesnt matter if you didnt buy the oil from them in the first place.

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful.

Welcome to this list. Hope your new future holds many happy years.

There's a wealth of information and knowledgeable, helpful folks here so, don't by shy to ask.
There's also tons of how to instructions with pictures and videos. Also all factory manuals are here so download and keep for reference.

One last and very important thing to remember. NEVER get under your jeep (or any other car) with a floor jack. ALWAYS use quality, heavy jack stands and choke the wheels.

You seem to be eager to learn and stand on your own two feet again.
Good luck @swaddell 👍

Thank you! I am very eager to learn. I love my Jeep and look forward to being able to work on it on my own.

NEVER get under your jeep (or any other car) with a floor jack. ALWAYS use quality, heavy jack stands and choke the wheels.

Thats how my Granddad died, jack collapsed and killed him. Grew up in Ca, had another friends dad get a car dropped on him during an earthquake... same thing no stands. Had that drilled into me young

• Sad
Reactions: BlueC
Grew up in Ca, had another friends dad get a car dropped on him during an earthquake...

If I wasn't already afraid of earthquakes, that bit of info wouldn't help any. If you can't trust the ground, I'm not sure what you can trust. Now let's talk about sinkholes in Florida. :LOL:

• Haha
Thank you! I'm excited to start learning how to do it on my own!

The main thing is take your time and ask questions when you have them. Everybody starts somewhere, at some time. Youtube can be a valuable resource, but it can't replace experience. Get a basic "mechanic" tool set and start hands-on learning.

Sorry about your divorce. Been there, done that. Again...and again.....and again. If all else fails and you have a NTB in your area, they have online coupons for $24.95 oil change and tire rotation. I used to take my work vehicles there.

Last edited: