Oil Leaks

Cam Gordon

Hi, this is my first post from New Zealand. Purchased a 2000 TJ and after 2 days are seeing leaks. I’ve been told by car dealer that he thinks the transmission oil could have been over filled when the car was serviced before sale and this is residue. Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

FABC7344-8920-47CF-A18E-E6B661F887EB.jpeg

You need to take the skid plate off and see where it's leaking from. Use UV dye in the fluid if in doubt.

Chances are it's from the transmission or transfer case, but again, you need to drop that skit plate to inspect. As long as that's on there, we can only speculate.

It could have been overfilled, or you could have a bad seal.

As per Chris. Pull the skidplate. Have the trans supported with a jack first. Then you can check out everything for yourself. Pull the fill plug and see if it is overfilled. If the dealer preps a vehicle, regardless of age, by not even a wipe down of their mess, then I would be sure to go through every inch of your TJ to see what else they did half-assed. If you get a short warentee (here in NY they need to for a minimum of 30 days) it might be a good idea to have either a local shop or a good buddy that really knows Jeeps go through your new machine top to bottom.

I would bring the Jeep back to the dealership, have them inspect the transmission and fluid level, wipe down the residue and keep an eye on the skid plate for any more droplets.
You need to have this suspected problem documented at the dealer.
IF the residue comes back then there is a problem.

Oh yea, and be sure to document everything. That means a LOT of pics with a time stamp on them and all interactions (phone calls too) with salesmen and service bay people.