TJ Fest 2021
Join us in Moab, Utah from 4/24/2021 to 5/1/2021 for the first annual TJ Fest 2021. Click here for more information.

Oil pressure drop when stopped

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
You should be able to put a T-fitting (brass) in line with the sensor and plumb in a new line to a new gauge mounted in the dash area somewhere. When I was young everyone got a 3 gauge setup mounted (mostly) to the bottom of the dash near the center that had volts, oil pressure, coolant temp. Don't see that much anymore, probably 'cause it looked like 💩. But back then all the 'cool' guys did it.

Reactions: jeepguy03
OP
Scout425

Scout425

I finally got around to replacing the oil pressure sending unit/switch with MOPAR part# 05149097AA. I purchased mine from a local dealer for $58 but a quick internet search shows results for around $30-40.

While the new sensor seems to have helped, it did not fully resolve the issue. With the limited driving I did to test it, ~20 miles, the oil pressure only dropped twice and only to about the 1/4 dot on the gauge. I don't recall it doing that in the past but now it does not drop far enough to set off the alert chime. In more recent video on youtube, a guy had the same symptoms and may have resolved his issue by cleaning the connectors at the PCM. Prior to that he replaced the switch with a duralast unit only to have the same symptoms reappear. Cleaning the PCM connectors will be my next step if the chime returns.

Alemonkey

Worst case, if you rule everything else out, replacing the oil pump isn't a horrible job. I replaced the one in my '97 4.0 a few weeks ago with a standard (non high pressure) Melling pump. It used to get down close to zero at idle with a hot engine and occasionally sound the alarm, now it never falls below 20. I'm sitting at 150K on the odometer.

Reactions: Blondie70