Oil pressure gauge bouncing

Spartacus03

Im having a problem and was wondering if anybody else has had it and how do I fix it. My oil pressure gauge bounces around. It doesn't do it all the time. When Im driving it stays steady but sometimes at an idle it will fall all the way to 0 then bounce back and fourth. It does this more on the trail when I've been driving at a slow speed than when Im in town or on the highway. It gets to the point on the trail that my jeep almost dies and spits and sputters. I have an 03 4.0 I6 automatic if you need this info. Any help would be appreciated. Im trying to get this fixed pretty quick, I got a trail ride in the Ozarks coming up. Thanks

sent from Spartacus03

Check the connector on the pressure sending unit. Passengers side rear of engine block

Last edited:
Most likely nothing more than a bad oil pressure sender or perhaps its connector is dirty and just needs cleaning and reconnecting. The oil pressure sender is mounted adjacent to the oil filter on the passenger side of the engine block.

If you buy one, try to get a Mopar OE replacement. Avoid the cheapy replacements like from Autozone, their quality is highly variable. It took 3 replacements oil pressure senders in one day from Autozone rne years ago before I finally got one that worked properly.

X2. My bet is that it's simply a bad oil pressure sending unit. Cheap and easy fix!

Most likely nothing more than a bad oil pressure sender or perhaps its connector is dirty and just needs cleaning and reconnecting. The oil pressure sender is mounted adjacent to the oil filter on the passenger side of the engine block.

If you buy one, try to get a Mopar OE replacement. Avoid the cheapy replacements like from Autozone, their quality is highly variable. It took 3 replacements oil pressure senders in one day from Autozone rne years ago before I finally got one that worked properly.
Would this cause my jeep to idle rough on the trail cause I was concerned it might be really bad like the oil pump or something else. Appreciate the info. Ill check it out first thing.

sent from Spartacus03

I had the same problem with my jeep. I was super concerned. Turns out the detection device (I suppose the oil pressure sender, as Jerry stated) had gone bad and the shop replaced it for me. Hasn't done it ever since over a year ago.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford