Oil pressure gauge reading

Danny Stephens

I need some opinions! When I cold start my Jeep the oil pressure reads good but after driving about 10 minutes it goes down to zero and the check gauges light comes on. I’m gonna start by changing the oil sending unit but do you guys have any suggestions or any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Karl
Pray it is the sending unit.Otherwise it is likely the oil pump. But at 0 pressure there should be some valve clatter.

I had this with my TJ last year. It was the pump. Cold it developed pressure. Around town was fine. But after running on the highway when I stopped the pressure would drop, lights and alarms ringing. If I touched the throttle the pressure came up. But scared the shit out of me. My TJ was just under 200K miles but I drive it hard and tow a trailer almost daily.

Start with the oil sending unit, that's more than likely the issue. If you still experience the problem after changing the sending unit, that points to something else. My money is on the sending unit though.

X2 On the sending unit. However if you still have issues. Put a manual gauge on it temporarily to see REAL oil pressure. TJs are notorious for false readings on the electronic oil pressure.
Hi there, I'm having the issue above. When I got my TJ 2 yrs ago the guy i bought it from told me he replaced the switch previously and that was why it was reading low and gauge light going on , I replaced it and all was good . Light is back on and when I mentioned to my mechanic that I am about to change it again he started to get my all stressed thinking it's more than the switch. Now I don't know what to believe. It runs fine but I am no mechanic. How would I know if its more? Would there be something I could look for before forking out money for a pump ...if it doesn't need one .

Reactions: bcon2010
This also happened to my 97 TJ. I replaced the sending unit but the problem continued. I had a mechanical oil pressure gauge temporarily installed and it showed normal oil pressure. I started running 10w40 in it and it’s been a year since to gauge dropped to zero at a stop with the engine warmed up. Beats me what the hell is going on but I breathe easier now that I don’t hear that aweful beep and see that guage drop off!

Reactions: Karl and Jenny
Hi there, I'm having the issue above. When I got my TJ 2 yrs ago the guy i bought it from told me he replaced the switch previously and that was why it was reading low and gauge light going on , I replaced it and all was good . Light is back on and when I mentioned to my mechanic that I am about to change it again he started to get my all stressed thinking it's more than the switch. Now I don't know what to believe. It runs fine but I am no mechanic. How would I know if its more? Would there be something I could look for before forking out money for a pump ...if it doesn't need one .

You can hook up a mechanical oil gauge to verify the actual oil pressure

Reactions: Jenny
You can hook up a mechanical oil gauge to verify the actual oil pressure
Now why wouldn't my mechanic just hook one up to read it for me ? They specialize in Jeeps. I can't see them not having one .
Thanks for the tip , when I take it back for the other work I'm having done I'll have an intelligent suggestion at least . Lol

Now why wouldn't my mechanic just hook one up to read it for me ? They specialize in Jeeps. I can't see them not having one .
Thanks for the tip , when I take it back for the other work I'm having done I'll have an intelligent suggestion at least . Lol
I don't like to bash shops (oh wait i do). They can make more money selling you sn oil pump. (Not my personal feelings) your a girl/woman she will buy anything we tell her she needs.

Reactions: Jenny
@Jenny

Something like this

https://m.autozone.com/shop-and-gar...essure-tester-with-24-in-hose/750867_0_0?aqs=

Can be rented/loaned from autozone or orileys

The jeep tj doesn't have the best reputation with sensors. But rarely have i heard the oil pump goes out.

Now if you have one with a oil drive unit instead of a distributor then thats a hole different ball of wax.

What year is your TJ.
It's a 97 . I don't typically get too stressed over the reading dropping because I have switched the sensor before and the problem was fixed so I assume it is the same issue and as I read in some of your previous threads ...maybe it's the wrong brand for my jeep. I'll consider buying a gauge tester if need but since the Jeep will be in the shop Monday I'll just inquire if they can test the pressure

I don't like to bash shops (oh wait i do). They can make more money selling you sn oil pump. (Not my personal feelings) your a girl/woman she will buy anything we tell her she needs.
Yeah , that's what I am stressed about. I want to trust them being that I was almost working for them at one point but realized 2 jobs was just too much for me .
They really are a trust worthy shop , I just like to inform myself so I'm not totally blind on any issues . Ya know.

Reactions: Carter and KCsTJ
Yeah , that's what I am stressed about. I want to trust them being that I was almost working for them at one point but realized 2 jobs was just too much for me .
They really are a trust worthy shop , I just like to inform myself so I'm not totally blind on any issues . Ya know.
I fully understand. And applaud you for taking the time to get the information. If more people did this. There would be less mechanics that take advantage of people for nothing more than money. Greed can be a pain.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I fully understand. And applaud you for taking the time to get the information. If more people did this. There would be less mechanics that take advantage of people for nothing more than money. Greed can be a pain.
I've definitely been taken advantage by mechanics that's why I try to some things on my own. YouTube it or at the very least educate myself on the issue before I take it in for work. Already dishing out some bucks on other issues , Steering gear replacement and rear brake lines getting done next week and now have this looming over . Ugh ..hopefully it's a simple as the switch .
Thanks for you help !
Jenny

Reactions: Artemis and Chris
I've definitely been taken advantage by mechanics that's why I try to some things on my own. YouTube it or at the very least educate myself on the issue before I take it in for work. Already dishing out some bucks on other issues , Steering gear replacement and rear brake lines getting done next week and now have this looming over . Ugh ..hopefully it's a simple as the switch .
Thanks for you help !
Jenny
If you did the sensor replacement yourself. Then you can test it yourself. You just remove the sensor and screew in the test gauge.