OK, crunch time!

I always walk in a zigzag pattern, it’s easier than having to remember how to act [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So far my wife has only killed animals with her rifle .... but ..... she knows how to "kill" so I DO have to behave or start walking like you.
CIMG4469.JPG

Well, went to order the second rifle in the group, and to my dismay, it is no longer available! It's a Rossi R92 made in Brazil. 45 Colt, all stainless with Brazilian hardwood furniture. The pipeline is dry and Rossi (Braztech?) put a notice up that they will no longer be available.

The search continues then, for an old man hunting / truck gun for this soggy area.

Well, went to order the second rifle in the group, and to my dismay, it is no longer available! It's a Rossi R92 made in Brazil. 45 Colt, all stainless with Brazilian hardwood furniture. The pipeline is dry and Rossi (Braztech?) put a notice up that they will no longer be available.

The search continues then, for an old man hunting / truck gun for this soggy area.

That stinks. I hate it when you have finally decided what you want and then find out you can’t get it.

Well DARN!

Check gun broker for a used one?

Reactions: StG58
That stinks. I hate it when you have finally decided what you want and then find out you can’t get it.

It happens. I've missed a couple of firearms and some Jeep parts diddling around making a decision before. Really trying to keep this under $1000 for a new rifle, but it's pretty hard when you're looking for an all weather big bore. Especially in a lever gun. The R92 was almost perfect, in that it was cheap at about $500, and I could use the ammunition for my revolver in it in a pinch. (Other way around too)

Elk season starts tomorrow for the coast range and I was hoping to have it in hand for this season. Not going to happen now. There are two other rifles that come to mind, but holy cow, the manufacturers are really proud of them.
Marlin 1895SBL.jpg

Pedersoli 86-71 Stainless.jpg

That second one is about the epitome of a big bore all weather hunting / truck gun. The manufacturer knows it too.

Check gun broker for a used one?
Yup. No used, two NOS with the 16" barrel in the US of A. I'd really like the 20" barrel for the longer sight radius. That extra 4" make a difference on a snap shot in the jungle. The price is approaching $600 starting bid, which is pretty close to the starting price of some of the other "guide guns" out there. I may have to go with plan "B" and get an all weather hunting rifle and a seperate truck gun. That's going to suck though, as I have a one firearm per year max limit due to cash flow. (I'm not rich)

View attachment 25194
That second one is about the epitome of a big bore all weather hunting / truck gun. The manufacturer knows it too.[/QUOTE]

Really nice rifle.
Out of curiosity, when you say all weather hunting / truck gun ,
Do you have plans of scoping it ?
Very very few and i mean few hunt with open sites around here.
I like the old school concept.

I would go with #1. Incase you want to put a scope on it, it wouldn't be an issue like it would be with #2 ejecting out the top.
Both take a Scout Scope setup, so it's kind of a horse apiece. I do like the scout scope concept because you can shoot a scope with both eyes open. It's a little harder with a more traditional scope setup.

View attachment 25194
That second one is about the epitome of a big bore all weather hunting / truck gun. The manufacturer knows it too.

Really nice rifle.
Out of curiosity, when you say all weather hunting / truck gun ,
Do you have plans of scoping it ?
Very very few and i mean few hunt with open sites around here.
I like the old school concept.
I'll have a quick detach scout scope for it, but it's going to be used bareback most of the time. I'm lucky to see 150 yards in the woods up here. A 80 - 100 yard shot is extremely common. With the constant gloom under the forest canopy, open sights actually work as well as, if not better than, a scope. Old school open sights rule the day. On my other big bore, the scope is always dialed down to 1.5x or removed and riding around in my day pack. Ghost rings and HiViz fiber optic front sights are the order of the day. You have about fifteen or twenty seconds to identify your target, check what's behind it, aim and decide to take the first shot. There's only a 50 - 50 chance you'll get off a second shot unless you're fast, or good, or both. Those big Roosevelt Elk in the coast range are fast and tough. And smart.

Last edited:
Yes, i have a very close friend that spends a month every year out in Idaho, close to Salmon i believe.
He swears that Elk are the fastest animals he's hunted, faster then our eastern whitetail.
I was surprised to hear this but the man is hunting icon around here.

Yes, i have a very close friend that spends a month every year out in Idaho, close to Salmon i believe.
He swears that Elk are the fastest animals he's hunted, faster then our eastern whitetail.
I was surprised to hear this but the man is hunting icon around here.
For as big as they can get, they are ghost's as well. Luckily, they smell bad. A lot of times you will smell them before you ever see them. Then if you're not careful, you'll spook them. It sounds like an avalanche in the woods when they take off. The Elk put their heads back and just crash down hill through the pucker brush. At that point, they're gone. Same deal when you shoot one. They immediately drop over the closest edge and disappear into the brush. If you don't have really good blood sign, you've lost them. That's why I like my big bores. It pokes a hole all the way through and you get good sign to follow. Anyone who says they get a bang - flop on a Roosevelt probably isn't being entirely truthful. I've never seen it happen, and none of the hunters that I respect around here have ever seen it. Those bloody big satellite bulls can go 1,000 - 1,200 pounds, sometimes. That's a lot of critter. Even the more typical ones go 800 pounds. They just take a deal o' killin'.

Funny thing. The most successful hunters "hunt" Elk off their back porch the last two days of the season. Get a bull almost every year. After the ODFW guys break the herds up for the hunting season the Elk get run down to the ranches and dairies along the coast by the hunters blasting around out in the woods. They seem to just naturally drift to private land. A couple of buddies have relatives that farm and ranch up against the public lands, so they wander down on a Monday, set up on the relative's back porch and wait. When an appropriate bull wanders out of the public lands, they tag it. Run out to the fence line on the quad, snatch it up, and carry it back to the machinery shed to process. I'm not lucky enough to have that opportunity though, so I have to work for mine.

I dropped a Roosevelt bull back in the late 70’s in the coast range. I was shooting a very typical Winchester model 70 30-06. It was about a 30 yard shot in heavy brush. He only went about 50 yards. Luckily he dropped close to a forest service road. All of my hunting buddies in those days shot either an 06 or 7mm mags. Can’t remember anyone losing a downed bull.

For as big as they can get, they are ghost's as well. Luckily, they smell bad. A lot of times you will smell them before you ever see them. Then if you're not careful, you'll spook them. It sounds like an avalanche in the woods when they take off. The Elk put their heads back and just crash down hill through the pucker brush. At that point, they're gone. Same deal when you shoot one. They immediately drop over the closest edge and disappear into the brush. If you don't have really good blood sign, you've lost them. That's why I like my big bores. It pokes a hole all the way through and you get good sign to follow. Anyone who says they get a bang - flop on a Roosevelt probably isn't being entirely truthful. I've never seen it happen, and none of the hunters that I respect around here have ever seen it. Those bloody big satellite bulls can go 1,000 - 1,200 pounds, sometimes. That's a lot of critter. Even the more typical ones go 800 pounds. They just take a deal o' killin'.

Funny thing. The most successful hunters "hunt" Elk off their back porch the last two days of the season. Get a bull almost every year. After the ODFW guys break the herds up for the hunting season the Elk get run down to the ranches and dairies along the coast by the hunters blasting around out in the woods. They seem to just naturally drift to private land. A couple of buddies have relatives that farm and ranch up against the public lands, so they wander down on a Monday, set up on the relative's back porch and wait. When an appropriate bull wanders out of the public lands, they tag it. Run out to the fence line on the quad, snatch it up, and carry it back to the machinery shed to process. I'm not lucky enough to have that opportunity though, so I have to work for mine.
Does anyone neck shot elk? Around here if we have a good shout within 50 yds we’ll neck shot a white tail and they drop on the spot. Some will head shot, behind the ear. Head moves too much for me to get comfortable with that, but it drops them of course. Just wondering if the same practice is used by Elk hunters?

I dropped a Roosevelt bull back in the late 70’s in the coast range. I was shooting a very typical Winchester model 70 30-06. It was about a 30 yard shot in heavy brush. He only went about 50 yards. Luckily he dropped close to a forest service road. All of my hunting buddies in those days shot either an 06 or 7mm mags. Can’t remember anyone losing a downed bull.
The 06 is never a wrong choice... The archery guys tend to loose a few every year. I hate packing an Elk out of the creek canyons. I do find a few chewed on carcasses every year where somebody thinks they missed, but didn't. It's sad but it happens.
Does anyone neck shot elk? Around here if we have a good shout within 50 yds we’ll neck shot a white tail and they drop on the spot. Some will head shot, behind the ear. Head moves too much for me to get comfortable with that, but it drops them of course. Just wondering if the same practice is used by Elk hunters?
Neck shots, yes. Head shots, not so much. I go for heart / lung shots. Bigger target and if I'm off a little I still get a good shot into'm.
Not a gun guy but that Colt is gorgeous !! Cannot get more classic than that.
Is that for the Gladiator ?
Gladiator? Sorry, I don't understand @billiebob. Those Model 92's are nice looking carbines, indeed. Very strong actions as well. Strong enough to safely shoot my "Ruger Only" loads without a problem. Light enough and small enough to actually pack around the countryside.

Reactions: BendLarry