Ok, I'm freaked out

That is one reason why I will never have a Alexa in my house

Reactions: AndyG
Happens to my wife almost daily. She's always very freaked out about it too.

Ok, lets see how this works.
Currie, please send me a couple of RockJocks...
And no, not from the 70's hair bands.
Go

Reactions: Hog
I know I'm being way out there when I say this... Or at least I really hope I am

but you take something that was happening like in Germany in the early part of the century and take this technology and it would be scary.

Anyway that's all academic...but to some degree it's not because governments are going to use this.

again I'm not a conspiracy theory kind of guy and I know that without government we would have pretty much anarchy... So I'm not going to go down that path but this is all just a new dimension to me.

Really it's just getting started
..pretty soon the police officer that pulls you over is going to be able to tell where you've been the last 30 minutes... That wouldn't be that hard to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxdabroxx
I'm not a conspiracy guy, but I know they can easily use information to target anyone they want; either through ads or law inforcment, or social media doxing and ostracizing to control behaviors.

Most of us are too boring to worry about, but once we're not and they target you, there's a good chance of controlling you through societal pressure and law enforcement. We all do something illegal everyday, simply because there are so many laws on the books it's impossible not to. Everyone has said an off hand off color joke or comment that could get you banned from all social media and have your livelihood threatened. There are 2 groups out their using or misusing you as a product; advertising information collection companies and the government.

If I collected files on people in my neighborhood, with pictures, places they visit, what they did, who they knew, so I could change how I interacted with the neighbor's and get things from them; people would call me a creeper. What they collect an store online is 1000 times more info.

Chinese style social credit rating will eventually get here and people will fall in line and do it because they want the online recognition.

The microphones are not always listening
The GPS can always monitor if you allow it to
Your Text messages can be used to create personalized data if you allow it to
Smart TVs are not watching you
No agency is saving all phone calls and arbitrary voice recordings

Software being incredibly malleable and intelligent pretty much sums up every of these scenarios.

The microphones are not always listening
The GPS can always monitor if you allow it to
Your Text messages can be used to create personalized data if you allow it to
Smart TVs are not watching you
No agency is saving all phone calls and arbitrary voice recordings

Software being incredibly malleable and intelligent pretty much sums up every of these scenarios.
Cell phone microphones often are always listening. It's whether or not they only listen for their wake word that matters. If I say "OK Google" my phone wakes up and awaits my command. But I don't get ads based on conversations that I've had after removing FB/ FBM from my phone.

Alright guys , tell me what is going on -

I'm not into conspiracy theories, or any "big brother " type mind set , but something happened tonight that freaked me out some -

I have a Droid razor phone.
I've noticed if we talk about transfer cases , an ad for one might pop up. Ok, I get it . And sometimes I declare it hears me talking and tries to connect with ads, etc.

But here's one-

I left a gas station tonight, didn't turn on my lights , and got pulled over.

Laid my pistol on my console , got out my licence and gun registration. I tell him I have a gun first thing.

All cool, officer checks my insurance and let's me go.

I get home ...and on my phone a video pops up - "what to do if you get pulled over with a gun in the car".

I can't get over it .

I realize me pulling up my insurance cards on my e mail may have triggered the data , but this is amazing .

Is there a connection ?
that's just google and other companies and their targeting ads working. The great hack on Netflix talks about this in the opening.

Although it may seem that your phone and other IOT devices are "listening" to you (spying on you) They are actually just predicting events in your life, predicting products that you may have interest in, and so on.

It's simply wild and hard to fathom how accurate ads are and are able to be.

Last edited:
The problem is privacy is not set by default. It's a setting you have to find and activate and not miss every setting in every app on every device you use. Then you have to rely on all your friends and family to do the same.

Otherwise, they do whatever they want. It's right there in the user agreement nobody ever reads. I stopped posting photos I took with my camera because putting them at some locations would remove my copywrite protection according to the terms and conditions of their site. So they could use my photos as stock photos to sell if I took a good one and posted it.

Cell phone microphones often are always listening. It's whether or not they only listen for their wake word that matters. If I say "OK Google" my phone wakes up and awaits my command. But I don't get ads based on conversations that I've had after removing FB/ FBM from my phone.
I should rephrase as my original comment really was nonsense. No one is using your random personal conversations to further develop a profile without you activating it. Accidentally activating your smart helper and continuing the conversation could cause that information to be saved and analyzed.

The problem is privacy is not set by default. It's a setting you have to find and activate and not miss every setting in every app on every device you use. Then you have to rely on all your friends and family to do the same.

Otherwise, they do whatever they want. It's right there in the user agreement nobody ever reads. I stopped posting photos I took with my camera because putting them at some locations would remove my copywrite protection according to the terms and conditions of their site. So they could use my photos as stock photos to sell if I took a good one and posted it.

Application permissions are an at-needed basis. That's means you gave the app permission to read your texts. Apps, not preinstalled from the factory, have no permissions and you must grant them these permissions either at installation or the specific action.
When you first setup your phone many of the privacy settings are masked by nifty 'convenient' features such as restaurant suggestions, contact names in texts, personalized data. They're tricky, but like you said it's up to the due diligence of the user to remedy it.

Uh oh ... My phone just alerted me that you guys were talking about this.

On a serious note... It was a little bit of a twilight zone moment.

Targeted marketing picks up on key words. Your texts, phone calls, messages, and posts are not private, they are the property of Verizon, Sprint, Facebook, Google, whatever.
A lot of people love that, and are impressed by the technology.
Others are creeped out or think it's an invasion of privacy, but the internet is not private...