OK, my jeep always blows hot air

Lowcountryearl

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys/ gals
I have a 98 that has no ac, waiting on jeep air to get more in stock, anyway my vents always blow about 102 F out of the vents. I can move the slider,,,yes slider to heat and it will go up to about 130 but never does below 102 on the cold side. Intake from the hood is 85 so obviously something is not right. When I slide the slider to cold, it kinda goes back toward the heat side by itself but eventually goes to cold but,, it's still hotter than a Lodge cast iron skillet on chicken day
Any help would be appreciated

First of all you do not have AC.
The air that blows comes from the front (hot) engine bay.
You're confusing why do you wait for air to get more in stock?
Your vent blows 102 then why don't you just open roll down the windows?

Last edited:
Well, I just bought the jeep knowing it didn't have ac but, have have put a couple units in my previous CJ's from Jeep air but apparently there is a part in their pre-made package that is no longer available and they are waiting for a third party vendor to supply the part.
The intake is on the hood grill which when I put a temp probe inside the grill it's 82 degrees, coming out of the vent is 102. Don't see the duct heating up the air 20+ degrees. Thinking it may be some kind of vacuum issue..maybe that's not closing a damper or some other component. Was looking for a little insite

Well, I just bought the jeep knowing it didn't have ac

Well that's your issue.

No A/C coupled with summer in South Carolina and you should expect the air from your vents to be pretty damn hot ;)

In all seriousness though, the only thing I could see being an issue would be your blend door being stuck, at which point it would only blow hot air or cooler air (depending on where it's stuck).

Reactions: reddvltj
Lol, sad thing is, this jeep has always been in Southern California and Florida and no one ever added AC.....
So on the earlier TJ's this blender door is vacuum or cable operated? As reddvltj mentioned, the slider wants to move back toward the heat setting but eventually goes back to the cold setting which is,,, 102 F

So on the earlier TJ's this blender door is vacuum or cable operated?

Lol, sad thing is, this jeep has always been in Southern California and Florida and no one ever added AC.....
So on the earlier TJ's this blender door is vacuum or cable operated? As reddvltj mentioned, the slider wants to move back toward the heat setting but eventually goes back to the cold setting which is,,, 102 F

I took down my post because I spoke before I researched.... it is vacuum actuated not cable.

You might try taking the control panel out and cleaning the mechanism with some electrical parts cleaner and then try to get some dielectric grease worked into to help the vacuum actuator seal, and double check all the vacuum connections from the panel to the blend door.