OK, time to whine

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Dear Abby,
So, the loving spouse has a JKU. She needs new tires and wheels for it. Summer is coming and the trails are calling. The total cost is looking like about the same as lockers, gears and axle shafts for the TJ/SE. Within a couple of hundred bucks, at most, anyway.

What should I do? Should I tell her to go pound sand? That's not going to work out too well. One of us could get another job, but that cuts into wheeling time. I could probably sell off one of the grandkids, but then the oldest daughter and spousal unit would hunt me down and kill me, slowly.

I think I'll just go eat worms and die.

Do what I do, when you want to add something to your Jeep say "need" instead of "want". Example: Dang Honey, I inspected my Jeep and it looks like I'm gonna need a locker install soon! Plus I have an electrical problem! (Code for new stereo system) Just my luck! Looks like if we get you pre-own tires we can both be ready to have a romantic trail run. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do what I do, when you want to add something to your Jeep say "need" instead of "want". Example: Dang Honey, I inspected my Jeep and it looks like I'm gonna need a locker install soon! Plus I have an electrical problem! (Code for new stereo system) Just my luck! Looks like if we get you pre-own tires we can both be ready to have a romantic trail run. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now there's a clue! I like that, except that after 35 years of living with me and dealing with my crap all I get is the narrowed eye look (you know the one, the squint, crossed arms, etc.) when I try that tactic.

@UpperMI was VERY helpful in this thread ( https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/jkus-with-half-doors.3773/ ) a little while ago, but then that new Sahara showed up in town.

Reactions: StG58
Sell it and put the money you save into the TJ... Haha!
Oh man! You don't even want to see the look I'll get over THAT suggestion! She's already washed it, inside and out, which means that it's hers now. If I go there, I'll be living in my wall tent in someone's back yard for awhile. Weeks, probably.

I think that I'm just going to have to accept the fact that I'm well and truely screwed this summer for drive train upgrades.

She already has the first big road trip all planned out. To South Dakota. With her mother. With the top down and the warm breezes blowing thorough our hair. Yikes!

Oh man! You don't even want to see the look I'll get over THAT suggestion! She's already washed it, inside and out, which means that it's hers now. If I go there, I'll be living in my wall tent in someone's back yard for awhile. Weeks, probably.

I think that I'm just going to have to accept the fact that I'm well and truely screwed this summer for drive train upgrades.

She already has the first big road trip all planned out. To South Dakota. With her mother. With the top down and the warm breezes blowing thorough our hair. Yikes!

I know the feeling man, I really do. Anything I had planned for this Summer in terms of "upgrades" has gone down the drain.

We have to pay $3800 for a sump pump system to be installed in our crawl space and then I have to replace our fence ($3000) that was blown over in the wind storm (and it's rotted too), and also pay $5500 for new vinyl windows to replace out crappy aluminum ones!

I'm not even sure where I'm going to get the money for most of this as it is... LOL!

Reactions: Kyle_W and StG58
I know the feeling man, I really do. Anything I had planned for this Summer in terms of "upgrades" has gone down the drain.

We have to pay $3800 for a sump pump system to be installed in our crawl space and then I have to replace our fence ($3000) that was blown over in the wind storm (and it's rotted too), and also pay $5500 for new vinyl windows to replace out crappy aluminum ones!

I'm not even sure where I'm going to get the money for most of this as it is... LOL!
Oh man, that's a lot of coin Chris! You truly have my empathy.

Are you doing the sump system and fence yourself, or hiring it done?

I'm on it. I'll see what I can find you in 18" Sahara wheels (and tires).
Oh man, no, please! I just got her convinced that 285/75R16's where the way to go...on some 16x8" wheels. (Until that new Sahara showed up) I can live with 17" takeoffs, but those 18" Sahara wheels are going to come back to bite me in the backsides sooner rather than later.

She's even got pictures!
output.jpg

Reactions: UpperMI
Oh man, no, please! I just got her convinced that 285/75R16's where the way to go...on some 16x8" wheels. (Until that new Sahara showed up) I can live with 17" takeoffs, but those 18" Sahara wheels are going to come back to bite me in the backsides sooner rather than later.

She's even got pictures!
View attachment 14637

I've seen those wheels for sale down here too. Plenty to go around. Let me know if you want me to look. Always happy to spend your money on your wife's behalf :)

Oh man, that's a lot of coin Chris! You truly have my empathy.

Are you doing the sump system and fence yourself, or hiring it done?

I'm going to do the fence myself, but it will still be about $1600 in materials, maybe a bit more.

The sump system I don't want to do myself. There's a lot of labor involved digging french drains under the house, the electrical work, etc. Paying someone $3800 for that is worth it to me.

The windows can wait until this coming Winter, so I've got some time to spare on those. They need to be done though, these aluminum ones are so bad! They sweat so bad that I have to clean mold off them all the time!