Ok you guys scare me with rust comments

Artemis

TJ Enthusiast
So, I'm going to lineX the underside of my TJ later this fall, but after reading some stuff, I just want to make sure I'm not really wasting money on my Jeep.

I'm the second owner and I've had her for 3 yrs now. Always garage kept and I don't drive it a whole lot. I've put 7k miles on in that time (70k currently). And the original owner did have it Ziebarted when she purchased. I really love this little Jeep and want to keep her for a very long time! My other vehicle is a 17 JKU that's really our daily vehicle. We had the jku treated when we bought her (I know Ohio winters suck) with the lineX underneath, seats, and paint. So I attached some pics for any good advice. Please and thank you!

PS, sorry if I didn't post correctly. New to using the forums really!

IMG_20180922_092144990.jpg

IMG_20180922_092132690.jpg

IMG_20180922_091930000.jpg

IMG_20180922_091923040.jpg

IMG_20180922_091919230.jpg

So, I'm going to lineX the underside of my TJ later this fall, but after reading some stuff, I just want to make sure I'm not really wasting money on my Jeep.

I'm the second owner and I've had her for 3 yrs now. Always garage kept and I don't drive it a whole lot. I've put 7k miles on in that time (70k currently). And the original owner did have it Ziebarted when she purchased. I really love this little Jeep and want to keep her for a very long time! My other vehicle is a 17 JKU that's really our daily vehicle. We had the jku treated when we bought her (I know Ohio winters suck) with the lineX underneath, seats, and paint. So I attached some pics for any good advice. Please and thank you!

Wow it's amazing the difference in Northern Jeeps and Southern Jeeps. If rust is really a concern for you then go down south and get you one to put in your garage. Looks like even with the PO’s treatment it’s still rusting.

Seems like its just a thing you have to “deal” with up North in the winter. Most people see Jeeps up there as tools for winter driving.

I'm in Ohio and it's quite a battle since wet, salty roads seem to last for months at a time. I need to look into this lineX. A few years ago, I had some surface rust, and used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator and the internal frame coating, and since did touch ups on it but my frame looks good for an '06. Can this lineX go over it?

I've bought three new Jeeps and every single one of them had rust coming off the factory line! They say it's "normal" but our Mazda, or Toyota didn't have any.

Look up JL rust issues, the weld joints aren't holding paint and they already have rust issues on their new $50K jeeps, insane!

Reactions: Starrs
Oh man... that rust isn't good, really. Not that any rust is good, but that rust you have there is far more than just surface rust.

I realize very much that I come across as a "rust snob", but I'm telling you, after my experience with the rust issues on my old '69 Camaro, I'll NEVER deal with rust again... ever. It's the worst kind of project IMHO, because it gets into all the cracks, crevices, and places you'd least expect it.

Like cancer, if left untreated it continues to grow more-and-more. My goal isn't to scare people (well, if they're looking at purchasing a used TJ with rust, then I suppose it is), it's to let them know that rust is the death of these things.

If you don't plan on keeping it that long, then I suppose no big deal (though it does drastically affect resale value). However, if you plan on keeping it for a long time, you have to take care of it.

Here on the West Coast, we're spoiled. We don't really have to deal with rust on our vehicles. Admittedly, that does make me a bit of a rust snob.

Reactions: Fouledplugs

The frame itself looks good actually don’t get all bent out of shape about it. The only part that looked like it had a lot of surface rust was your driveshaft. If you can get away with not driving it in the winter that’s going to be the only way to have a rust free tj. If you could get it up on a lift and sand done the surface rust with some pads you could hit the frame and the other areas that have surface rust with some flat black and it would look good again. Not sure I would likex the underside.

Reactions: Artemis
I was quoted $200 for the undercoating. So I'll probably just do that. It's just a protective layer, not like the lineX spray in bed type. Though I have seriously considered doing that to the inside, but hubby looks at me funny lol.
Thanks for all the info guys. I really love this Jeep and want to take good care of her.

Reactions: Starrs
Put your finger in one of the bigger, round holes in your frame. If you can pull a lot of chunks out of the frame, then you're in trouble. If you can't pull very many chunks or there is only surface rust, you're most likely fine for now.

Surface rust doesn't mean much on TJ's. The only thing that matters is the rust on the inside of the frame.

Reactions: fourpointzero
It doesn't look all that bad. Pics of the frame at all the bracket points and transfer case skid to frame connection would give a better idea. Bang on the frame with a hammer, it should sound solid and metallic, not dull and "soft."

If all that looks good, a rust neutralizer and Fluid Film or similar should take care of it. Being diligent in rinsing off the road salt will go a long way in protecting your TJ.

My 2 cents (from the salty rust state of NJ) I wouldn’t seal coat anything in the fall, when its typically cool and damp. Unless lineX completely seals out moisture or oxygen, I would not lineX my frame. If moisture or oxygen penetrate the coating, there’s no doubt rust will follow. Last thing I’d want is something camouflaging the rust until it’s too late and the surface or structure is compromised. The good old ‘bubbling’ too commonly seen on vehicles.

Wire the surface rust and treat it w Fluid Film or CRC marine rust inhibitor. And as you do now, keep it garaged and out of the snow in the winter. Sucks, but that’s what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents (from the salty rust state of NJ) I wouldn’t seal coat anything in the fall, when its typically cool and damp. Unless lineX completely seals out moisture or oxygen, I would not lineX my frame. If moisture or oxygen penetrate the coating, there’s no doubt rust will follow. Last thing I’d want is something camouflaging the rust until it’s too late and the surface or structure is compromised. The good old ‘bubbling’ too commonly seen on vehicles.

Wire the surface rust and treat it w Fluid Film or CRC marine rust inhibitor. And as you do now, keep it garaged and out of the snow in the winter. Sucks, but that’s what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keeping it out of the salty winters is the only way to 100% make it last. Undercoat/powdercoat will just mask it for now. Frame looks pretty good from the pics, but several salty winters could change that going forward. Garage it for the winter and enjoy in the nice months.

Keeping it out of the salty winters is the only way to 100% make it last. Undercoat/powdercoat will just mask it for now. Frame looks pretty good from the pics, but several salty winters could change that going forward. Garage it for the winter and enjoy in the nice months.
Yeah she really doesn't get driven much in the winter. Pretty much in the garage from here on out unless there's a super nice day and I drop the top for one last hurrah. Other than that, she'll sit in the garage till April.

Yeah she really doesn't get driven much in the winter. Pretty much in the garage from here on out unless there's a super nice day and I drop the top for one last hurrah. Other than that, she'll sit in the garage till April.
You’ll be more than fine then. You have nothing to worry about if it’s not seeing salt anymore. Rest easy lol

Mines getting ready to get tucked away for the year too. I have 24k miles on mine and a lot invested so I bought a little ford ranger couple months ago to preserve this tj or any future tj I end up with. Best money I have spent in a while.