Old boy, New toy

00Nik

Hello from NE Florida. We have a 2000 TJ called "Doc" (Mike/Deb) and we're setting it up for a casual cross continent trip to Denali next year (retiring - hopefully). Either way, I'm really looking forward to learning all I can. Thank you for inviting us to your site.
Mike

Reactions: Chris
Hello from NE Florida. We have a 2000 TJ called "Doc" (Mike/Deb) and we're setting it up for a casual cross continent trip to Denali next year (retiring - hopefully). Either way, I'm really looking forward to learning all I can. Thank you for inviting us to your site.
Mike
Wife and I just went up there on our Gold Wing last fall. Beautiful run!! You will enjoy it. Get The Milepost. It is a guide about the entire ALCAN- fuel, motels, etc. We found it very valuable. And while you're at it check out the Alaska Maritime Ferry service. We took one of those ferries from Haines to Bellingham, WA on the return. Great experience!

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Glad to meet you Stinger, and thanks for the advice. We decided on this trip a couple days ago so we have a lot of planning to do I know. It actually started when I found the Trans America Trail online and has evolved to Alaska .... we are both sooooo excited.

Welcome to the forum! That sounds like one hell of a fun trip / adventure. One day when the kids are older the wife and I will definitely plan something like this.

Glad to meet you Stinger, and thanks for the advice. We decided on this trip a couple days ago so we have a lot of planning to do I know. It actually started when I found the Trans America Trail online and has evolved to Alaska .... we are both sooooo excited.

Just a hint. We reversed planned our trip. The ferry books up early! So we got our ferry reservations on-line first. Then using a compass set at 250 miles back tracked from Haines. Like I said we were on a motorcycle and 250/300 mile days are okay. Although because of available facilities we had a 400 miler one day.
You will find about 40 miles of gravel on the ALCAN. The road is is good shape and from what the locals tell me it will always be under construction. What's bad about it is extremely dusty in the dry and butt sucking mud in the wet. When we went thru in the first week of Sep it was mud one way and mud snow coming back!
The rest of the roads were very much what you find in the lower 48 although frost heaves on some can be shall we say exciting:)
Hope it helps. Feel free to ask if I can help.

Oh and actually my jeep is Stinger. I am Frank

SNOW .... haven't seen snow in years, however, I have shoveled my fair share of it - originally from W NY. Passports and deciding which months to travel will be our goal this week .... then the hard part, what to see and whether to go North and West, then South and East. I like the mileage/day idea, thanks Frank :).

Reactions: Stinger and Chris