Old Green Lady - '99 Sahara

alexap

So being new to this forum and new to Wrangler I thought I could start a thread to document at one place everything that I did and everything I'm planning to do on my '99 Sahara.

So, I got her sometimes in November after almost two years of looking around to find something that's not completely rusted and ridiculously overpriced. I was at the point where I started looking at vehicles in Florida and was getting ready to go down there and bring something back.
Then, suddenly this Sahara pops up and I did not think twice. Originally from Georgia and for the last two years and 3k miles was driven in Chicago.
Some surface rust, some scratches, bit neglected and dirty but I love to think I was able to see pass that! :)

Got her home and gave her a good wash and started pulling all carpets out during amazing weather we got around Christmas. Washed carpets and cleaned and detailed absolutely everything.
Some surface rust started showing on the passenger side floor panel. Sanded that down and sprayed some primer and it will wait for spring/summer to be repaired properly.

From the outside appearance worst thing was front bumper and ugly mirrors. Completely paled with peeling paint and I just could not watch it.
After weekend of sanding in my garage and treating it with phosphoric acid I was ready to spray paint it. Obviously it's to cold in garage so I thought basement was better idea. Oh well, it's not. I'm still cleaning paint and I knew I should not be doing that in closed space but it is what it is. Yes I had mask and glasses but somehow still ended up with stye on my eye that got infected. Nasty stuff!

Anyways, bumpers and mirrors came out just great after a week of baking in front of work quartz lights! I used textured satin paint and it's awesome! Mount it back and she looked so much prettier! (Wish I knew I could buy brand new stock bumper for $100. Where is fun in that right?)

Couple of small repairs meanwhile, some blown fuses, some white grease in steering column to get rid of squeaking when turning, painting door handles and plastic on the window corner.

All cosmetic stuff that were really bothering me were now addressed and after driving it around a bit I decided I'm going to sell my other beater and use this car for my daily commute (10 miles total to train station and back).

As it was getting colder shifting into 2nd gear was getting difficult. Following advice on this forum I drained transmission fluid and put some MT-90 inside.
Shifting is much better but still not as smooth as I would like it. I learned to live with it and literally just start moving in first and shift in 2nd right away.

Although I had maintenance record and oil was not due for change I decided to go for it. Replaced oil and filter and meanwhile cleaned engine bay as much as I could. This is something I will focus on also when summer comes.

As we all now, stock headlights are miserable. Ordered some amazon LED's that got good review here and I'm pretty happy with them.
Also, found a stock fog light that was broken when I got her and replaced that as well.

Next one was sound system. Those stock cardboard speakers are just miserable so I got Kenwood radio and Polk Speakers and got that installed. It sounds much better but I will need subwoofer for sure down the road.

While everything was out I also replaced all interior bulbs to LED. With that being said something happened tonight and light is very dimmed on AC cluster. I will have to open this again and see what's going on.

While doing all this I'm researching options for my lift kit and new tires.
I initially decided 2" was max I would go as my goal is to really enjoy this car on road more than off road. Again, with help of this forum I decided H&R springs and Rancho shocks are best choice for me. Ordered everything, sprayed Ranchos with couple of coats (heard paint is thin on them) and completed installation last weekend. Beautiful ride and it looks so much better!

- Well, new tires (31's KO2) are being mounted this Thursday. I'm not fan of Canyons I got on her but I also don't want to spend $500 for new wheels right now.
- I need to flush cooling system and add coolant. Still in research phase.
- Brake lines - this is probably priority. While I don't have any issues they kinda look very rusty and I know I have to address it ASAP. Will probably open new thread to get some help with this.
- Check and probably replace oil in axles

Those are short term goals to be completed until March/April.

Summer goals:
- Clean frame, treat with phosphoric acid and paint it with something (still looking into best options for this, especially for inside the frame)
- Touch up couple of small rust spots and fix dent on the hood (dent is pretty big and previous owner did some sloppy job but at least he didn't left it unattended so it didn't rust)
- Buff & polish and get some shine back!
- Take interior out and paint it
- Clean up seats really well using some extractor
- Change carpet
- Repair lock on center console (bottom part where lock goes is ripped, gotta figure something about this)

Well, this came way bigger than I thought it will be.
If anyone reads all this, well, thank you! If you have any suggestion, please, I would appreciate that a lot!

Everything I listed above was me doing it for the first time! First oil change, first transmission fluid change, first lift kit install..
I'm enjoying it and I have a blast!

I am attaching couple of pictures of things I did so far.

P.S.
She got this name since my wife said since I got Jeep I'm spending more time with "Old Green Lady" than with her. :)

IMG_20191215_114746__01 (1).jpg

IMG_20191219_121402.jpg

IMG_20191230_202502_01.jpg

IMG_20200102_203346.jpg

IMG_20200106_194321.jpg

IMG_20200125_171554__01.jpg

IMG_20200125_171604__01.jpg

Last edited:
So, I know I said I am not planning on doing anything regarding rims but opportunity came (another jeeper was selling quadratec with discount) and since I was getting new tires I decided to jump on get everything.

Here she is, dressed in BF KO2 and quadratec rubicon xtreme rims in gun metal gray.

I swear, it made her look 10 year younger at least! :)

IMG_20200201_161450.jpg

oldgl-1.jpg

Did not really have time to hangout on forum a lot recently but I was very busy with the Jeep.

Since latest update I did quite a bit of stuff:
- Destroyed my front axle shafts trying to replace u-joints. That got me really mad and I felt like I don't want to touch anything else anymore. Ended up getting used ones from e-bay and assembled all back together.
THAT has made such a difference in driving a Jeep. I have never drove any other Wrangler and how mine was driving before I thought that's normal. Now it just feels so much smoother and handles steering so much better.
I wonder how it's going to feel once I redo steering system completely?
- Changed oil in both axles, took the covers, clean everything, resealed again and put it all back
- Took the rear bumper off, got rid of the rust and repainted it to match the front. Repainted rear end caps as well.
- Did not drop gas skid plate but got as much of rust as I could and repainted that as well

With all that repainting, decided to remove transmission skid plate and repaint that as well. Then I thought, okay, while I'm in there, let me start touching up a frame as it's unique opportunity while skid is out.
Well, that's been two weeks ago and hopefully planning to put it back tomorrow.

So when I took transmission skid plate out pieces of it where baked in the frame. There is still a lot of meat left on it but it was kinda sad seeing it like that.
Anyways, I got that all that loose stuff removed from the frame and from the skid plate and started going on it slowly.

Sanded the skid and just use rustoleum primer and hammered black paint on it as I had that laying around from bumpers.

For frame I read good stuff about Eastwood so I ordered Chassis Primer and Extreme Chassis Black to go over it.
Been going on it really slowly as I was trying to give rust converter enough time to do what it needs to do and let everything cure properly.

I got center side done and as soon as I put skid plate back I will move to front/rear side of the frame.

Here is a couple of pictures to show work mentioned above.

Once I'm done with frame I'm doing brake lines and rebuilding rear drum brakes. Just got everything ordered tonight!

IMG_20200315_123705.jpg

IMG-a10077118f40de1fb47e09c88dea1ca8-V.jpg

IMG_20200403_180955.jpg

IMG-e9af0dd514dd8be32e25c98653cc75f3-V.png

IMG_20200405_161012.jpg

IMG_20200405_172230.jpg

IMG_20200409_195342.jpg

IMG_20200406_181143.jpg

Looking at the original pictures makes me wish I had a low mileage, stock version of my Jeep. Mine used to look like that, not anymore!

If you're up for wheeling around Chicago let me know. Doesn't seem like there is too many Chicagoans on here unfortunately.

I'd say that frame looks as good as new (y)

Thank you Chris!

I really did not want to just paint it without removing skid as I noticed that there is so much rust in between and that stuff would just stay there until I get a hole in frame. Even that part around those 4 bolts where step get's attached is more rusty than the rest. So any metal on metal seemed like an area of high importance to me.

I was not really able to get to the top of frame as much as I wanted but I did make sure to sand a bit, clean up, spray rust converter there and then get as much paint as I could.
Also, I'm sure that there is probably zero Jeeps out there with the frame issues that were caused by frame rusting from top. :)

Reactions: Chris
Looking at the original pictures makes me wish I had a low mileage, stock version of my Jeep. Mine used to look like that, not anymore!

If you're up for wheeling around Chicago let me know. Doesn't seem like there is too many Chicagoans on here unfortunately.

Absolutely, I would love that!

Absolutely, I would love that!

I'll be in downtown Chicago all summer and hope to do some stuff at the Badlands or Cliffs so I'll keep you updated if anything happens. The coronavirus is putting a damper on a lot of spring plans unfortunately. I know there are some Indiana members that could be up for a trip. I'll let you know if any plays out.

Reactions: alexap
Thank you Chris!

I really did not want to just paint it without removing skid as I noticed that there is so much rust in between and that stuff would just stay there until I get a hole in frame. Even that part around those 4 bolts where step get's attached is more rusty than the rest. So any metal on metal seemed like an area of high importance to me.

I was not really able to get to the top of frame as much as I wanted but I did make sure to sand a bit, clean up, spray rust converter there and then get as much paint as I could.
Also, I'm sure that there is probably zero Jeeps out there with the frame issues that were caused by frame rusting from top. :)

Spray some Fluid Film on the top of the frame as well. That will at least prevent any rust up there from getting worse. Maybe one day you'll find a reason to take the body off the frame, then you can take care of it at that point ;)

Reactions: alexap
Mounted skid plate back, I love it!
Now move to the front and then back.
And after that get inside.
Fun!

IMG_20200413_193303.jpg

Nice looking jeep man. Love seeing that someone is actually keeping their jeep clean. Last weekend I cleaned the engine bay. Tomorrow going to start doing same thing you did. Can you send me more info on what products you used?

Nice looking jeep man. Love seeing that someone is actually keeping their jeep clean. Last weekend I cleaned the engine bay. Tomorrow going to start doing same thing you did. Can you send me more info on what products you used?

Thank you Robert!

I decided to go with Eastwood products.
I have seen people going with POR-15 but I did not feel comfortable with that.
POR stands for paint over rust and being somewhat perfectionist that's not an option for me. I want to get rid of the rust completely, not cover it with something, whatever it is and whatever is doing.

Read some really good reviews about Eastwood and decided to go with their products.
I have used this primer (2 coats):
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-extreme-chassis-black-primer-set.html

And this over it (2 coats):
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-extreme-chassis-black-paint.html
Wish I had compressor strong enough, I would probably go with their 2k epoxy primer but I think aerosol will do it.
Happy to help if you have any more questions!

Hi. I’d be happy to schedule something. With this cabin fever, I’m sure there will be quite a few open to that as soon as it’s safe

Hi. I’d be happy to schedule something. With this cabin fever, I’m sure there will be quite a few open to that as soon as it’s safe

Perfect, that would be awesome!
Let's plan something as soon as Covid is out!

When it comes to my Sahara, last weekend I ripped out all the old brake lines and installed new ones.
I also painted a front part of the frame.
Don't have a lot of pictures right now but will add some when I assemble everything later.

I'm still working on rear drum brakes and tonight I finished with drivers side.

I think everything is in place. I tested handbrake and it works fine.
Will see when I add fluid. :)

IMG_20200423_192112_Bokeh.jpg

IMG_20200423_192037.jpg

Well, finally got all brake lines installed and finally done with drum brakes.
I have to say I am amazed that I was able to pull this myself but it's all completed and Old Green is all buttoned up!

I didn't finish with repainting rear side of frame yet but I had to take her off jacks, it's been too long.

Took the top off today and went on a drive, such a great experience!

Needs a good wash!

IMG_20200426_144750__01.jpg

IMG_20200426_144757__01.jpg

Reactions: Tray Burge