OME Lift Follow up

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
Quick recap:

98 TJ soft top no back seat Dirtworks back bumper 31 inch tires, Warn winch and Warn bumper on the front with dual yellow top Optima's for some background

A few months ago I did a OME 2" lift on my TJ, Originally I put the heavy/heavy springs and shocks on the Jeep. When I added the spacers front and rear that came in the kit. When It was finished it had a huge rake rear to front. I mean it looked like some crazy muscle car in the 70's but not in a good way, although I didn't look at it with Cragars.

It was really frustrating, so I talked to ARB, and they had me send pictures. A couple of days later they got back to me and told me that the rear of my Jeep had no weight to it and that is why the heavies were giving it too much rake, They said buy the lights for the rear and that should fix it.

I ordered new lights for the rear and it was still a little off but better, so I removed the OME spacers from the rear and it leveled right out. They mentioned that all TJ's are different, so when you put a lift on you may have to do a few times to get it right based on your options.

Well finally this leveled out nicely, and I was pretty happy. It rode nice and was level, but since then I have taken it out on wheeling day trips and camping trips either hauling a lot of gear or towing my RTT camping (trailer). When I load up the Jeep or tow the light springs fall on their ass. It was frustrating me.

I drive more regular driving then wheeling or camping, so I let it go for a while, but couldn't help but not be happy with it so I have been considering the Curry 4" lift because of all of the endorsements here.

I just purchased teh ZJ steering upgrade so I decided I want to get the suspension figured out one way or the other. I have been reading what others have had issues with with the OME so I decided to read some build threads, and I found @jjvw's (Shout out), and was inspired by his suspension choices in his build thread.

So here is what I ended up with today.

I changed out the rear lights back to the heavies springs then in the front I removed the OME spacer and replaced it with a 1.75 Daystar spacer in the front.
(Cycled the suspension too. The rear is spot on, the fronts are spot on too but could use an inch to keep the 31's out of the fender, but didn't have one on hand so it will go on next time I take it apart. Will stock up on a couple of Metal Cloak's for the next time)

So now to break it down,

I have OME 2" with front heavy springs, and heavy duty OME Nitro shocks, and a 1.75 daystar with the TJ stock spacer. In the rear I have OME 2" with heavy duty rear OME Nitro's with no spacers and it has about a 1/4 inch rake now.

I didn't take any pictures yet because I want to see how much it sags with my RTT on it loaded with my quad and see how much it sags. If it sags, I may take the rear apart again and add the OME spacers in the rear, but I want to drive it around for a couple of weeks and see how it all settles first. Once I have the final product one way or the other I will follow up with pictures.

So in wrapping it all up, reading @jjvw's he talks about buying springs for your jeep based on the set up rather than buying a kit. In the end, it may be a little more expensive, but the potential to have the right set up is better. I am a believer.

I am assuming with just a quarter inch of rake will not be enough for a load, so I am going to test it for the next few weeks and see how it looks, but one way or the other I think I am at the bottom or close to the bottom of this. Also it was a bitch of a day I did this in 106 degrees today. Yikes summer is coming!

Reactions: jjvw and Squatch
Because the OME springs you have installed are a linear rate spring with known rates and lengths, you can closely calculate the corner sprung weights of your specific Jeep. From there, it makes fine tuning the ride height a little easier if you need to swap out springs.

Sprung weight = spring rate (free length - ride height)

This will tell you how much weight a linear rate spring is supporting. Once you know your Jeep's corner sprung weights, you can easily mix and match different linear rate springs to get what you need.

Small spacers are also perfectly fine to use for leveling or for adding a bit more overall height. This is where knowing how to set your bump stops is valuable. Among many other things, the bump stops determine how much room there is before a spring reaches bind. Measuring between the spring seats at full bump will tell you how much spacer and compressed spring will fit inside there.

Last edited:
I can get full bump on both front and rear shock wise, but my front tire will hit the fender at full bump. Meaning I went to full bump and the shock wasn't bottomed out, but in the front I was unable to put the front tire on. I lowered it a tiny over an inch and was able to squeeze the tire on.

I in no way wheel like you so I am not worried about it, but if I ever pull it apart again I will throw a Metal Cloak in there. The rear was perfect.

Anyways, while I was out I snapped a photo here is how it looks now:

IMG-0228.JPG

It still drives great, It is a little firmer in the rear, but now it feels like a Jeep should and less like a car. I did not lower the TC, and now it has a slight vibration shifting into 2nd and giving it gas but it is minor and only at that time. I am going to measure it for a SYE sometime this week, but I really need a break from working on it for a bit. It was 108 degrees today and that is just way too hot.

I can get full bump on both front and rear shock wise, but my front tire will hit the fender at full bump. Meaning I went to full bump and the shock wasn't bottomed out, but in the front I was unable to put the front tire on. I lowered it a tiny over an inch and was able to squeeze the tire on.

I in no way wheel like you so I am not worried about it, but if I ever pull it apart again I will throw a Metal Cloak in there. The rear was perfect.

Anyways, while I was out I snapped a photo here is how it looks now:

View attachment 40666

It still drives great, It is a little firmer in the rear, but now it feels like a Jeep should and less like a car. I did not lower the TC, and now it has a slight vibration shifting into 2nd and giving it gas but it is minor and only at that time. I am going to measure it for a SYE sometime this week, but I really need a break from working on it for a bit. It was 108 degrees today and that is just way too hot.

It looks great, that's for sure. Not like it did when you first installed it. That was one hell of a rake!

Reactions: ac_
It looks great, that's for sure. Not like it did when you first installed it. That was one hell of a rake!
yeah thanks, I am pretty sure ARB is right and my Jeep is super heavy in the front and super light in the rear, but since I tow I needed to get to the bottom of it. It rides like a jeep now. And I like to look at it. The next test is to tow with it again, but summer has begun!

Reactions: Chris

Correctly extending the bump stops matters just as much, if not more, for street use. Speed bumps and dips in the highway will cause the Jeep to hit full bump harder than a slow trail crawl will.

So initially, when you had the HD rear springs installed, it wasn't the ride you didn't like, just what you considered excessive rake?

So initially, when you had the HD rear springs installed, it wasn't the ride you didn't like, just what you considered excessive rake?
True! it had a huge rake. Honestly when I switched to the light springs I didn't really notice much of a ride change, but now switching back I can tell it is a little stiffer.

It truly rode cush like a car with the light springs, and had some rear end movement, now it is a little stiffer more like what I would think a jeep should ride like. That said. it isn't a huge difference. Probably won't even be noticeable to my girlfriend.

just to put it in perspective, I now have a 1 3/4 spacer in front and no spacers in back, and I still have between a quarter and a half inch of rake.

Keep in mind that your TJ came from the factory with over an inch of rake. Leveling it while empty in the driveway will make it ride funny when loaded with passengers and/or cargo.

Keep in mind that your TJ came from the factory with over an inch of rake. Leveling it while empty in the driveway will make it ride funny when loaded with passengers and/or cargo.
Ya but it was crazy, It took ARB a few minutes to figure out what had happend it looked so queer.

Anyways about the bump stops. They are set correctly for the shocks just not the front tires. I will add a bump to the front the next time I take it all apart, but at least till then I won't loose a shock mount or anything. I haven't rubbed the front tire yet, but granted it has only been a couple of days. Also if my tired does damage to my front fender, then that gives me an excuse to put flat fenders on it. I am kind of looking for an excuse. haha.

True! it had a huge rake. Honestly when I switched to the light springs I didn't really notice much of a ride change, but now switching back I can tell it is a little stiffer.

It truly rode cush like a car with the light springs, and had some rear end movement, now it is a little stiffer more like what I would think a jeep should ride like. That said. it isn't a huge difference. Probably won't even be noticeable to my girlfriend.

just to put it in perspective, I now have a 1 3/4 spacer in front and no spacers in back, and I still have between a quarter and a half inch of rake.
Did you happen to snap any photos of the HD & LD springs side-by-side by any chance? Just curious...

Did you happen to snap any photos of the HD & LD springs side-by-side by any chance? Just curious...

This is what it looked like right after the lift with the Heavies in the rear:
Jeeprakeheavy.jpeg

This is what it looked like removing the spacers in the rear and adding the lights:

Her
IMG-0053.JPG

Here is what it looks like now with heavies in the rear and 1.75 spacer in the front:

IMG-0228.JPG

This is what it looked like right after the lift with the Heavies in the rear:
View attachment 40684

This is what it looked like removing the spacers in the rear and adding the lights:

HerView attachment 40685

Here is what it looks like now with heavies in the rear and 1.75 spacer in the front:

View attachment 40686
Thanks for the photos. I was actually hoping you might have a photo of the actual springs, sitting side by side...

Thanks for the photos. I was actually hoping you might have a photo of the actual springs, sitting side by side...
The difference in free lengths between the lightest and heaviest 2" OME front coils is about 1.3". The rates vary from 140-160lbs. Longer doesn't necessarily mean more lift.

The rears are about an inch different in length and range from 140-250lbs.

Here is the heavies with the stock rear, that is all I have a picture of.
IMG-0021.JPG

The lights are thinner and slightly taller, if I remember right. They actually have a one to to more coils but considerably thinner.

Wait I think I found a picture of the lights vs heavies rear:

View attachment 40693
Perfect, thanks! Just a visual guy, I like seeing the differences. From the ARB website, I knew the LD springs were taller, I just wanted to see how much.

The LD have worked fine on my TJR. The heaviest thing I put on my Jeep is the hard top, and I really can't see any discernible height difference in the rear wheel well between the hard and soft top. The only passengers I ever have in the back seat are my 2 Chihuahuas...

what size tire are on it in your most recent pics? I know you said 31", but could you give the exact size?