On a scale of 1-10 how boned am I?

Oh boy. I just told my wife I would relax on the Jeep. It’s super random. Will be totally fine then out of nowhere at idle will randomly start happening. Give it gas and goes away.

Dud you say that to your wife while your TJ was listening?

Never talk about closing up the wallet in front of ANY lady! They will make sure to prove you wrong every time.

It's like telling your teenage daughter she can absolutely NOT go out with that worthless gluesniffing scumbag. You'll have grandkids in under a year.

Yes what @Chris said, I think u need one of these..
20191231_141433.jpg

That does not sound like rod knock. Too intermittent. Flex plate?

if we aren’t hearing it from the top of the engine bay though couldn’t that be flex plate issue?

The flexplate crossed my mind too. I would check the flexplate. Maybe pull the front drive belt to not only to eliminate that, but also take away the noise that could distract from the real problem.

Reactions: Daryl
if we aren’t hearing it from the top of the engine bay though couldn’t that be flex plate issue?
Check the exhaust from the cats area. May be too close to frame or engine. The connection to the cats could be a little loose and moving around.
When cooled down, get under the Jeep and see if you can move the exhaust.

The frequency of that knock is not 1 knock per rpm,
It at the rate a valve would open.

INJECTORS:
First, pull the plugs and look for one that does not look like the others.
If it is not oily, but black from rich burning, check injector to see if it is closing
or just "pissing the night" away as the song goes.

LIFTERS:
Have you pulled the valve cover and checked for a bent/loose push rod?
or if it is a stuck valve, a low valve.
When cold you should be able to rotate push rods with your fingers,
after it runs they should be a bit tighter after the hydraulic lifters pump up.
if you can move one of them (cold) back and forth a little, you have a leaky lifter
or a cam lobe failure.

PISTON/ROD:
A piston slap or rod knock would be about twice that often...
Also do you hear it more at cold startup or running temp?
Oil is more viscous when cold and you should hear it less.

why does everybody want to put a piece of shit Chevy engine in a jeep I'd be less embarrassed to have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother in a Chevy

May have come out of a Chevy but you can’t beat the returns for what it is.

Power, MPG, support, ease of tuning, price.... Name another motor that can be done for the same price or cheaper with equal or better returns.

May have come out of a Chevy but you can’t beat the returns for what it is.

Power, MPG, support, ease of tuning, price.... Name another motor that can be done for the same price or cheaper with equal or better returns.
I would rather push a Jeep than drive anything with a piece of shit Chevy engine in it

Reactions: TJ2
I would rather push a Jeep than drive anything with a piece of shit Chevy engine in it
I'll never understand you people. One of the most reliable, best bang for the buck, cheapest to modify, largest aftermarket support engines, and you have some kind of biased view against it. Also have you ever tuned an LS? Damn is it friendly.

I miss car guys just being car guys and liking everything, with some preference. Too many fanboys.

If I ever swap my Jeep I'm putting a 2JZ-GTE in it just for people like you. Calm down.

Oh and by the way, planning an LS swap for my Waggy ;)

I'll never understand you people. One of the most reliable, best bang for the buck, cheapest to modify, largest aftermarket support engines, and you have some kind of biased view against it. Also have you ever tuned an LS? Damn is it friendly.

I miss car guys just being car guys and liking everything, with some preference. Too many fanboys.

If I ever swap my Jeep I'm putting a 2JZ-GTE in it just for people like you. Calm down.

Oh and by the way, planning an LS swap for my Waggy ;)
chevy products made me HATE chevy bought a brand new chevy while i was on the service out of the 6 months i owned it it was in the shop for four of the six (paid cash no bank involved) got sicck of it always broke down so i drove it in the jungle and set it on fire