Utah One day for Jeeping in Moab, advice please

Viking Jeeper

2A Supporter
Supporting Member
So, not TJ related but I will be in Moab next week. I have rented a four door Jeep for only one day to do some exploring. I will be with two of my sisters who do not want to do anything more than moderate. Looking for recommendations for easy trails that have the best scenery. I will be back to Moab and hopefully with my TJ but this is what I have to work with next week.

Have u ever off road in this type of terrain as this would seem to be key even if moderate. Check which trails u are approved to go in per the rental. Outline to them ur skill set and ask them. U could just rent and drive thru the various parks and explore / sightsee, go-to dinosaur exhibit off 191 or the Moab Museum of Film and Western Heritage off the 128 for wine food and the movie museum.

Probably fin-n-things or other below 3 rating would be a good trail if u have some experience in this terrain and approved by rental co.

Have fun and it's beautiful.

I have not been off-road in this type of terrain and I don't intend to do the difficult stuff in a rental with my sisters with me, I thought that was clear. I have a list of prohibited trails and don't intend to try them. I have a vehicle that is suitable for driving through the parks, I am asking about Jeep trails. Thank you.

I have not been off-road in this type of terrain and I don't intend to do the difficult stuff in a rental with my sisters with me, I thought that was clear. I have a list of prohibited trails and don't intend to try them. I have a vehicle that is suitable for driving through the parks, I am asking about Jeep trails. Thank you.
No need to be snarky; you asked for advice and the man gave you good advice. I was just out to Moab for my first time and was recommended to do Chicken Corners. It was great and would be perfect for you in a rental Jeep. However, if your sisters are anything like mine they'd likely be uncomfortable and anxious due to the shelf roads, blind hill crests, rock ledges, etc. It's all relative. A moderate trail in Moab to someone who has never done one before may seem more difficult/stressful than expected.

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler
Mentioning Moab I assumed you were talking about hitting up the sand flats recreation area also. Sounds like your looking for fairly flat but scenic routes.

id suggest if your not familiar with the area at the least, download Moab and surrounding areas on google maps or something alike for offline use as cellular reception is spotty.

I use funtreks book while in Colorado for trails, pretty spot on with the accuracy of difficulty of the trail, a few photos of what you'll see and mileage markers for any turn you will need to do you can set your odometers trip meter to. they do offer a Moab book for trails, I highly recommend it, though I do not have the Moab book as I primarily stick around Colorado & keep it at my aunts place so we can kinda plan the day out in the morning before heading out. while in Colorado the book was easily found in many book shops, id assume you can pick it up in Moab too.
https://funtreks.com/product/guide-moab-backroads-4-wheel-drive-trials-3rd-edition/

tempImagesIiZoy.jpg

Last edited:
Potash Rd. - When you get to the intersection with the White Rim Trail, you can make a decision - go home up the Schaffer Switchbacks, go out and back to Musselman Arch on the White Rim Trail or turn around and go back the way you came. Pucker Pass would be fun too. Both are easily accessed from the outskirts of Moab.

moab.jpg

I would not take a newby to Sand Flats. The lowest rated trail in there is Fins N' Things. The Red Rock 4-Wheelers set this one at 5 and say a lift and 35" tires are recommended. Some of the climbs and decents are 30° (makes me squeal). there are companies who rent modded Jeeps for Sandflats. The place is fun with the right equipment.

Lots of good info here: https://funtreks.com/utah-off-road-trails/

And here: https://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm

Have fun!

Looking down the Shaffer Switchbacks
i-xBtLLwN-X3.jpg

Colorado River Overlook - Potash Rd (AKA Shaffer Basin Rd)
i-JVNCFTh-X3.jpg

Pucker Pass
i-RrkfCjb-X3.jpg

Fins N' Things - Sand Flats - rental Jeep
i-smF54wS-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Something in the back of my mind says October is rainy season in Moab. If the trails are wet, go to the movies.

The Shaffer Switchbacks look scary on photos, but the road is smooth and wide and the views are out of this world. It's not that bad.

Pucker Pass

Fins N' Things - stock Gladiator Rubicon - Note, when the windshield is full of sky, it is steep going up. When the windshield is full of ground, it is steep going down

The scenery in Moab is very good.
i-cTcMpMv-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Something in the back of my mind says October is rainy season in Moab. If the trails are wet, go to the movies.

The Shaffer Switchbacks look scary on photos, but the road is smooth and wide and the views are out of this world. It's not that bad.

Pucker Pass

Fins N' Things - stock Gladiator Rubicon - Note, when the windshield is full of sky, it is steep going up. When the windshield is full of ground, it is steep going down

The scenery in Moab is very good.
View attachment 284282
Thanks on the October warning and will check.
Yes it rained during the 2021 TJ fest and it was interesting the difference. Still made it to top of the world. Fun day all.