First wheeling trip to Moab - Suggestions?

Stinkbug

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I will be making my first trip to Moab the first week of April. I will be heading out there with a pack of side by side guys. I think I will mostly be riding in their side by side but will also tow my TJ out there.

I am hoping some Moab locals or others that have wheeled there can give me a few suggestions. Here are a few questions I have to kick off the thread:

What is unique about wheeling on slick rock?

Any recommendations for a trail or two that would be enjoyable for both guys in a side by side and a TJ?

I remember an awesome sunset on the red rocks out at Delicate Arch. Are there any trails you would suggest for a late afternoon or early evening run to watch the sunset and still have an easy ride back to the highway?

Since life may not bring me back this way again, is there any thing I don’t want to miss? A trail, natural wonder, a burger joint?

Reactions: RINC
Get the Moab guide book by Charles Wells. Off the top of my head, Hells Revenge, Fins and Things and Top of the World might be good for both SxS and your TJ. But hard to say without more info on your rig and experience (and that of your friends).

IMG_2436.jpeg

Reactions: JMT and Apparition
Milt’s! I loved their PB shake, fries, and all of the sandwiches I tried. I ate there five times in three days lol.

I’ve only been to Moab once but I was lucky to warm up on Fins N things, then did Hells Revenge, Top of the World, and then Chicken Corners (easy trail w/ amazing scenery).

Reactions: JMT
I will be making my first trip to Moab the first week of April. I will be heading out there with a pack of side by side guys. I think I will mostly be riding in their side by side but will also tow my TJ out there.

I am hoping some Moab locals or others that have wheeled there can give me a few suggestions. Here are a few questions I have to kick off the thread:

What is unique about wheeling on slick rock?

Any recommendations for a trail or two that would be enjoyable for both guys in a side by side and a TJ?

I remember an awesome sunset on the red rocks out at Delicate Arch. Are there any trails you would suggest for a late afternoon or early evening run to watch the sunset and still have an easy ride back to the highway?

Since life may not bring me back this way again, is there any thing I don’t want to miss? A trail, natural wonder, a burger joint?

The slick rock is very grippy when it's dry, so prepare for tremendous grip.

Side by sides tend to go much faster than TJ's on trails. I'd try to find a Jeep group at your campground or hotel to go with. If there's a swimming pool you will always find folks sitting around talking about the trail they did that day. Might be a good way to hook up with a group for a couple trails.

Chicken corners for beauty.

Hells Revenge. Take it all in. It's definitely a very cool place.

I hope you have a great time. Go over your rig really well and make sure everything is in tip top shape before hitting trails.

go to the sand flats recreation area. Once you pay the small fee get everyone unloaded and ready to wheel in the first lot which is hells revenge parking lot.

Then from there proceed from the parking lot further down the road. After the first left hand corner there’s a short trail on your left. It’s baby lions back. Do that it takes a few minutes.

From there keep going down the road and do fins n things.

Once done with fins n things go back and do hells revenge.

Those are trails you’ll all enjoy.

Eat at Milts and Moab diner

Reactions: Woodrow and JMT
Get the Moab guide book by Charles Wells. Off the top of my head, Hells Revenge, Fins and Things and Top of the World might be good for both SxS and your TJ. But hard to say without more info on your rig and experience (and that of your friends).

View attachment 511640

As far as my Jeep goes, 4.0, 32rh with a 4” lift, midarms, lockers, beadlocks an 35” MTR tires. I have a fair bit of experience in the local Southern California mountains, run the Rubicon a few times and some trips to Johnson Valley. My friends are newer to side by sides but spent years in the desert near Parker AZ in their buggy.

Side by sides tend to go much faster than TJ's on trails. I'd try to find a Jeep group at your campground or hotel to go with. If there's a swimming pool you will always find folks sitting around talking about the trail they did that day. Might be a good way to hook up with a group for a couple trails.

Speed will be an issue for some of them but their wives will be in the copilot seat this trip, that may rein it in a bit. Plus we are friends and they will be willing to dial in back a bit for a trail or two.

My wife has a great ability to make friends in short notice so I will turn her loose on the crowd at the pool.

As far as my Jeep goes, 4.0, 32rh with a 4” lift, midarms, lockers, beadlocks an 35” MTR tires. I have a fair bit of experience in the local Southern California mountains, run the Rubicon a few times and some trips to Johnson Valley. My friends are newer to side by sides but spent years in the desert near Parker AZ in their buggy.

You and your rig should have no trouble doing most any trail in the Wells book. There may be a few obstacles you want to bypass. Also check out this link to trails, trail ratings and descriptions. They are usually kept up to date.

https://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm

Head to Arches NP for sunrise pretty cool. Drive the Shafer Trail in Canyon Lands NP uphill.
Good warm up trail is fin’s. On Hell’’s stay in the black and watch for markers identifying the center line.

Head to Arches NP for sunrise pretty cool. Drive the Shafer Trail in Canyon Lands NP uphill.
Good warm up trail is fin’s. On Hell’’s stay in the black and watch for markers identifying the center line.

I was up a Delicate Arch at sunset about 15 years ago and it was one of the most memorable outdoor experiences of my life… the warm evening, the changing color of the rocks as the sunset, my family together… it was an incredible connection with nature

Last edited: