One more reason I like Subarus!

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I know, they aren't anywhere near as off-road capable as a Jeep, but they're also intended for a different audience. The X-mode feature on newer Subarus seems to work pretty well, I've read good things about it!

Just saying... I wouldn't use this car for extreme off-roading, but they are great vehicles for going many places that a Honda Civic (or similar) wouldn't take you.

Just my own opinion, but it seems that TJ owner's, some JK owners, and Subaru owner's aren't fake about their love of the outdoors.

Whereas, all the fancy, utterly clean JK's out there scream "I just want to look cool."

I cannot tell the difference between X-Mode being on or off in my '16 Outback company car, at least not in the snow with my Blizziaks. Had a '14 before that, turned it in with 121,000 miles on it.

I wouldn't buy one myself. I like the car for the most part, just not a fan of the looks of them personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
My wife drives a 2015 Ouytback. Love the car and it saved her life not once, but two times. Two years ago, a POS meth addict hit her after passing a car behind her on a blind hill at 100 mph and hit her dead square in the back of the car. Wife not scratched, Outback repaired, DRT (dead right there) POS.

Last year a small buck jumped out in front of her. She was driving approximately 20 mph at impact. Outback repaired, no injuries to wife, and dead buck. Love the car.

I've always been pretty impressed with Subaru performance in regards to snow and certain types of off-road situations. I think they build a great car! There's a certain hippy stigma that's associated with the Subaru Outback here in the Pacific Northwest. However, at the same time, I can also see why the Outback is probably the number one selling car in the PNW as well.

Like I said, for the most part, Subarus will get you where you need to go, regardless of weather. The Outback has a pretty decent amount of ground clearance too, which is nice!

My wife used to have a 2000 Subaru Forester and since we drive up to New Hampshire for Christmas winter vacation. Yes since we live in FL we need our yearly snow fix LOL. The forested was awesome in the snow. Eventually in 2006 the Forester was traded in my my current 2006 TJ :D:D.

Since 2014 we are a Jeep family because she drives a 2014 JKU.

Reactions: Chris and FTI76
I've own 3 scoobies over the years...one Outback, one Impresa and one WRX...loved all three and would buy another in a heartbeat...that all wheel drive has certainly helped me out of a couple sticky situations. I remember my 97 WRX was still going strong when I clicked over 250,000 miles on it...and only changed the clutch once at just over 200,000 haha

My wifes Compass went into the shop yesterday to replace the input shaft bearing for the second time (on them) and she got an Outback loaner, boy she likes it.

When I do hear Subaru recall the 1992-93 legacy 4WD version. If no memory doesn't fail the motor was Turbo equipped and has an air suspension that when over 50 mph lower the car and when you enable the 4WD lift the car allowing some clearance. First air suspension I put interest on. I'm thinking on trade the Odyssey for an Outback.