One of the 12v power outlets broken?

dylansalrin

Orthopedic Circulator
Supporting Member
It has been that way since I bought it and I would like to know if it's a simple fuse or not. One of them works fine but the other seems to have no power. It's the outlet on the right hand side. In the picture below, it's obviously the one with the cover on it and nothing plugged in. It's a 04 SE If that helps. Thanks
7c333db5eee91ed67266ca8ef5aa5b11.jpg

The power outlet and cigarette lighter are on separate fuses. Power outlet is fuse 17 (PDC under hood). Cigarette lighter is fuse 18 in block behind glove box. The power outlet has battery power, the lighter only has battery power with key on/acc.

Make sure the black wires are grounded.

Reactions: dylansalrin
Damn the fuse is there. Should I replace it first or take apart my dash looking at the wiring? Thanks for all the help guys (once again) ah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn the fuse is there. Should I replace it first or take apart my dash looking at the wiring?
Let's see if we can arrive at an answer to that. ;) Hmmm.... do I take hours to take the dash apart and start tracing wiring here and there or should I just spend a few seconds to try a different fuse? :D

Let's see if we can arrive at an answer to that. ;) Hmmm.... do I take hours to take the dash apart and start tracing wiring here and there or should I just spend a few seconds to try a different fuse? :D

Sorry total electrical newb here! [emoji13]. Element in fuse is toast so that seems like the culprit. Thanks again :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A simple continuity tester is your friend! Geez, I use mine to check fuses, household and automotive light bulbs, all manor of things electrical. Cheap too - just don't be a dunce and use it to check LIVE circuits!

The two ports seem to have different internal receptacles too, so some 12v plug in accessories may work in one, but not the other. I have some plug in USB charging ports that work in one of mine, but not the other. Both of mine work (have 12V going to them), but some plug in accessories only work in one, not the other. If you look inside the two you'll see they are a bit different and some plug in devices seem to like one, but not the other.

Reactions: Duncan224
Replaced the fuse altho it looked fine. Still no juice to the outlet. It was working before, but quit in the middle of using it to power a tire inflater. So both fuses have been replaced. The ignition switched outlet works fine. Is there something else I should be checking? Next day off I'll pull the power outlet module out to check wiring, etc.

Good question. Me too. What's the scoop. RE: different plugs working or not working in a specific outlet.

Last edited:
Another question: what's the best way to power hand held devices using the vehicle power for long trips, phones, tablets, GPS, etc., all at the same time?

4 cyl.- you have to completely take the tub off the frame. This needs done immediately.

Pull the engine also.

"As I watched the light turn from red to green and back to red, I thought...there has to be more to life than a bunch of honking and yelling"

RE: different plugs working or not working in a specific outlet.
Most of the time it's just corrosion. Take a look inside the socket with a flashlight and you'll probably see plenty of rust. Contact cleaner works but sometimes you have to use scotch-brite or steel wool.

what's the best way to power hand held devices using the vehicle power for long trips, phones, tablets, GPS, etc., all at the same time?
There are high power cigarette lighter adapters that have several ports, just get one of those.