One problem after another!

egclassic

TJ Enthusiast
So I finally bought new tires and rims that actually belong on the TJ, PO had 17" JK take-offs on it.
First problem was, now that I had the correct backspacing on the new rims, the spare sat too far out on the carrier that it shook the hell out of the tailgate. Took the spare carrier off and we modified it by cutting it down and welding back together. Fit perfectly, problem solved.
Now the next issue, while putting tools away after working on the spare carrier, I noticed that the tire on the passenger side of the rear axle "appeared" to be sticking out farther than on the drivers side.
Confirmed it by taking measurements two different ways and came up with a 1/2" difference. Sure as hell looks like more for some reason.
The PO had the lift installed and it is 2.5". Do I need to install an adjustable rear track bar now? If so, what are the odds that I'm going to get that large Torx bolt out without stripping it out? It looks rusted, but the bit I tried seemed to get a good bite.

No need for an adjustable track bar at 2.5". The only thing you'll gain from it is that it might make the slightly offset axles look more uniform (by not being offset anymore). But other than that, you don't don't actually need them. I didn't run them with my 2.5" OME lift.

If you use Kroil, you will get that large bolt out no problem.

Reactions: egclassic
The OME kit comes with a track bar bracket to relocate the track bar...cheaper than a new track bar. That's if you can't stand the offset axle...

Reactions: egclassic
Most lift kits come with a rear TB relocation bracket that helps offset the axle to center. It's a PITA to install and some drilling is usually required to install it. If I did it over again, I would have just bought an adjustable TB, cause my OCD would not allow.

Check to see how close your drivers side tire is to the top coil bucket. I'm at 3", and could hardly fit my fingers between the tire and bucket, so I installed a track bar bracket. The axel is nice and centered now.

Most lift kits come with a rear TB relocation bracket that helps offset the axle to center. It's a PITA to install and some drilling is usually required to install it. If I did it over again, I would have just bought an adjustable TB, cause my OCD would not allow.
Exactly my experience. After my OME install, my axle was off to one side. I could have lived with it, but HAD to 'fix' it...I started to install the OME bracket, but when I saw what was involved, I decided to order an adjustable track bar instead. I went with the RC version. Fits my needs perfectly, is adjustable without removing one end, and doesn't break the bank..

Exactly my experience. After my OME install, my axle was off to one side. I could have lived with it, but HAD to 'fix' it...I started to install the OME bracket, but when I saw what was involved, I decided to order an adjustable track bar instead. I went with the RC version. Fits my needs perfectly, is adjustable without removing one end, and doesn't break the bank..

X2. Exactly why go through the hassle of cutting, drilling, and or welding when you could just buy adjustable??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

That's what I did just recently. Adjusting it was super easy. I still had to install a CV style angled bracket cause SYE.

No need for an adjustable track bar at 2.5". The only thing you'll gain from it is that it might make the slightly offset axles look more uniform (by not being offset anymore). But other than that, you don't don't actually need them. I didn't run them with my 2.5" OME lift.

If you use Kroil, you will get that large bolt out no problem.

Kroil is good, but not magic...rust will beat Kroil...maybe not every time, but enough that I know better...

Reactions: Chris
Yeah...I've broken BIG bolts...and fallen on my head when they let go. It's amazing how much force you can put on something with a big lever...but sometimes you have no choice

I believe it. Here in the PNW it's an entirely different story. My idea of "rust" or a "stuck bolt" can't be anything like you'd experience there in Michigan. Gotta love salt...

What is this "rust" you guys are always talking about :D

Torx can be a pita. The usual, Kroil, will definitely help. Also, find a 1/2" drive Torx and use it. Don't use a 3/8-1/2 adapter, you want to keep it as short as possible and as close to the head as possible to get the best "bite" on it. Have a spare available too as they break fairly easily.

Reactions: JMT