One Ton Superduty Steering Advice

mattcogdell

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Posting this to ask for some assistance on a friends Jeep. He has a 05+ superduty front axle with Artec’s high steering setup.

The last few trips out, his tie rod jam nuts have broken loose. This goes unnoticed until the movement in the tie rod causes his PSC cylinder fittings to loosen up causing him to loose fluid. Once he notices he no longer has hydro assist he checks the fittings and finds them loose. He tightens that back up and notices the jam nuts on the tie rod are loose. Fills the reservoir back up and gets back on the trail. The PSC lines were locally made. I’m unaware if this could be an issue with the type of fittings on the end for the cylinder.

Lastly I don’t know enough about this setup to offer a permanent fix. So I asked him for a photo of his steering in order to help figure out why this keeps happening. Not sure if this is an ideal setup or not. Just trying to help him fix the issue. Any advice is appreciated.

48ACBE6F-6D41-4C71-9C8D-2D0D8DEA8A38.jpeg

Are his steering stops adjusted correctly? They should be limiting the turning rather than other parts in the systems which could lead to problems.

Reactions: astjp2
Are his steering stops adjusted correctly? They should be limiting the turning rather than other parts in the systems which could lead to problems.
I can’t answer this for sure. I will help him check this.

why not adjust tie rod to correct toe-in, tighten the piss out of it, remove tie rod, tac weld nut to tie rod in 3 spots.

when the rod ends need replacing trim the tacs, bust it loose and repeat.

sounds crazy but dodge did it on a draglink adjuster on the 2500s a few years back...

Reactions: Wildman
why not adjust tie rod to correct toe-in, tighten the piss out of it, remove tie rod, tac weld nut to tie rod in 3 spots.

when the rod ends need replacing trim the tacs, bust it loose and repeat.

sounds crazy but dodge did it on a draglink adjuster on the 2500s a few years back...

They are still doing it. Had to take my 3500 in around the beginning of the year to have mine done.

They are still doing it. Had to take my 3500 in around the beginning of the year to have mine done.
buddy of mine put a leveling kit on his. Took it to the dealer to get the steering wheel straightened out and they wouldn't touch it.

he pulled it up in the garage and i cut the tac for him. once the springs settle it'll probably get adjusted and tac'd again...

I wasn't super happy having them weld on my steering. I know it isn't a lot but it's just the idea.

I wasn't super happy having them weld on my steering. I know it isn't a lot but it's just the idea.
hopefully they did better on yours than my buddies. looked like a big chunk of birdshit just sitting on top of the steel. (sorry for the highjack OP)

• Sad