Only worm heat

JakeHitman

I have 1998 Jeep tj with 4.0. When I turn on the heater it comes out worm not as hot as it use too. This is the one with the slider heat settings. What options could I try with it to get the heat back.

Worms should be fine as they don't really require much heat.....just picking.

Make sure your thermostat is working properly, temp gauge should read close to *210.

Once you determine the thermostat is working properly, you can do a heater core flush.
Several methods used for this.
I've used white vinegar in the past by draining the antifreeze and cycle the system with 50% vinegar " heater on "and letting it sit for several hours.

Others I know actually disconnected the heater core hoses and back flush with a garden hose.

Likely a how to on this site.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I've used white vinegar in the past by draining the antifreeze and cycle the system with 50% vinegar " heater on "and letting it sit for several hours.
No need for the heater to be on or turned to its warm/hot setting, the coolant circulates through the heater core 100% of the time whether the heat or the a/c is on. Baffles control if the heat from the core is released to the passenger compartment or not. :)

Another option is to use a commercial flush product. Drain the coolant, add distilled water and flush solution, and then give the Jeep an Italian tuneup (run it as hard as you can for a while). Drain the flush mixture, rinse with distilled water, and refill with water/coolant.

However, it also could be unrelated to the heater core. If the blend door isn't fully closing off the flow of cold air, it could result in cooler air from the vents. Only real way I know of to fix this is to pull the dash, which is a lot of work