OPDA failure on 2004 and older?

bkeith72

Supporting Member
I've read through tons of OPDA failure threads here but they all seem to focus on the known issues related to the 2005 & 2006 year models. I'd like to know if anyone has experience with OPDA failures in a pre 2005 model TJ/LJ.

Specifically I have a 2004 and recently noticed a squeal like noise but it only occurs when in 'D" or 'R' with my foot on the brake, such as being stopped at a red light or in a parking lot. The noise sounds a LOT like the 05/06 OPDA videos but it goes away as if I shift into 'N' or begin driving ... basically when the RPMs begin to increase. I have replaced both idler pulleys and the serpentine belt as those also showed up as possible sources for squeals in the engine area but the sound I'm hearing persists.

Any pre 2005 owners have an OPDA like sound and behavior like this? Did it go away when you replaced your pre-2005 OPDA?

Thanks!

Anything mechanical can and will fail in time, anything.

That being said, I haven’t heard about any issues on 04 and older TJs. I have a 2003 and I am not even the slightest bit concerned about it whatsoever.

Your issue doesn’t sound like the camshaft synchronizer to me, I would look elsewhere.

Off topic and I haven’t researched this but why not use a 04 OPDA in a 05-06 or they not compatible?