OPDA replacement, any recommendations or helping hand appreciated

Arthurius

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2006 LJR, 58,000 miles. I started my Jeep yesterday and noticed 1 or 2 very audible "laughs" shortly after start up. Driving it yesterday I found a very subtle sound similar to what I have seen in OPDA videos. Usually only upon acceleration but I did notice it throughout my driving. I could only easily identify "that sound" to my passenger when i was accelerating, for example. I'm guessing if I'm hearing it then it's probably time to install the Crown unit ASAP, luckily I bought one when I bought the jeep about a year ago. Any recommendations to help the install along? Also, anyone in the Phoenix/Mesa area willing to help me install it? Thanks!

I can’t help you with the installation because I had mine done at a shop, but I can help you to narrow down the problem & make sure it’s the OPDA. With the engine running & while it’s making the noise, place your fingers on top of the OPDA. You can definitely feel the vibration that corresponds with the noise.

I can’t help you with the installation because I had mine done at a shop, but I can help you to narrow down the problem & make sure it’s the OPDA. With the engine running & while it’s making the noise, place your fingers on top of the OPDA. You can definitely feel the vibration that corresponds with the noise.

Can confirm its 100% the OPDA i just did this 'redneck stethoscope' test this morning and he's a-chirping. Was also VERY pronounced on the drive this morning. Its my daily for the time being, probably going to want to do the install today.

There are several videos on Youtube detailing the replacement.

Look through several of those to get some ideas.

Read the comments first because if there are any errors in the video people will be scrambling to be the first to point it out 😁

I'm interested in learning more about this. In the past I've always just bypassed the plethora of OPDA threads (I have a '98 model with a distributor). Recently I've started shopping for another TJ. I may end up with a late model at some point. I figure it can't hurt to be prepared.

If it is making noises the first thing to do is stop driving it. It's not that hard of a job, but I wasn't able to get the original sensor back from the old unit, and had to use the crown sensor instead. I had an opda fail on my 2006 TJ with 108k, the noise would go away after start up so I decided to push it off for later. After replacing it I now have a belt squeak and engine tick that goes away after start up. So don't wait around.

2006 LJR, 58,000 miles. I started my Jeep yesterday and noticed 1 or 2 very audible "laughs" shortly after start up. Driving it yesterday I found a very subtle sound similar to what I have seen in OPDA videos. Usually only upon acceleration but I did notice it throughout my driving. I could only easily identify "that sound" to my passenger when i was accelerating, for example. I'm guessing if I'm hearing it then it's probably time to install the Crown unit ASAP, luckily I bought one when I bought the jeep about a year ago. Any recommendations to help the install along? Also, anyone in the Phoenix/Mesa area willing to help me install it? Thanks!

I think all of the prior information is good. Watch several videos. Sometimes a small detail will be left out on one video that is captured on another. Also, re-use the factory Mopar camshaft sensor if at all possible.

I removed the OPDA on my kid's 2005. It was the new Crown unit and was operating just fine, but the PO did not remove all of the old o-ring gasket from the old OPDA and so when he installed the new OPDA and gasket, it developed an oil leak. I removed the OPDA and cleaned off the old gasket and installed the new gasket and OPDA and no more leak. Make sure the old o-ring gasket is removed completely and the mating surface is nice and clean.

Also, videos are great as long as your install goes according to plan. But, what if it doesn't?

With my kid's OPDA, I rotated the crankshaft so that the holes aligned on the OPDA, but I did not have the locking pin from the prior owner that came with the new Crown OPDA. I used a punch from my garage to align the two holes on the OPDA. That lined things up fairly close, but not as close as needed.

After re-installing the OPDA, I started the TJ and the CEL came on within seconds. Problem.

I fiddled with it for a bit and then talked with @mrblaine. I will copy and paste what he recommended, which got me out of a jamb. Hopefully, you won't need this information, but you might.

Me: Blaine, can I adjust the OPDA while the jeep is running?

Blaine: Yes, you can adjust while it is running. We do it to set the timing to 0 on the DRB.

(BTW, you can pick up a DRB scanner on eBay right now...just shy of 3k :ROFLMAO:)

Blaine: If you run into trouble again, a way that will get it a tiny bit closer is to start it and loosen the clamp bolt. Turn it one direction until the motor dies. Mark that and turn it back until the motor will start. Turn it the other way until it dies, mark that. Set it halfway between the marks and that should be close to center of the range. There will be some slop due to wear and backlash but it should be pretty close.

Blaine: The PCM will adjust the timing to be correct with a range of about 10-12 degrees either side of 0.

Hope this helps.

I fiddled with it for a bit and then talked with @mrblaine. I will copy and paste what he recommended, which got me out of a jamb. Hopefully, you won't need this information, but you might . . .

THIS! I've been wondering about adjusting it while it's running. This information from Mr. Blaine is exactly what I needed. I have a Crown OPDA on the shelf, ready to go in at the first monkey call, or when I'm sure I can get it tuned without a DRB, which I am now.

Thanks, Mike and Mr. Blaine.

Reactions: Mike Z
THIS! I've been wondering about adjusting it while it's running. This information from Mr. Blaine is exactly what I needed. I have a Crown OPDA on the shelf, ready to go in at the first monkey call, or when I'm sure I can get it tuned without a DRB, which I am now.

Thanks, Mike and Mr. Blaine.

I am just the messenger. Blaine walked me through it.

I was able to adjust the OPDA to where the CEL went off and it has never come back since.

Glad this was helpful :)

Use the Mopar sensor. Do not use the Crown. 👍🏼

Reactions: Zorba
I suggest to set engine TDC before proceeding with replacement.
My old opda came out smoothly, no resistance, no struggles. But then gears would not align when i tried to reinsert it back, and new opda would not go in either. I wasted hours trying to wiggle and twist it in any way possible with no luck.
Eventually got it in, but timing was off and engine was in limbo mode. Over the weekend, after tons of researching i learned about TDC, how to set it, aligned opda and was kosher from then on.

Thought I should provide an update here, the jeep made it home and i replaced the OPDA with little effort. It started right up with no CEL or anything, used @Zorba and his guide was quite helpful. Here's a photo of the OPDA worm gear (YIKES) and the inside of it with the internal wear. Definitely doesn't look great.
20221229_141048.jpg

20221229_140957.jpg