Opinion of value

Mugsy

Tomorrow I'm looking at a 1998 Sport. Pretty basic - manual, soft top, full doors, no AC, 74000 miles, after market rims, new all season tires, good Kenwood stereo - $6650.

Any thoughts?

The first two things that come to mind:

1) How is the underside in regards to rust?
2) What are similar vehicles going for in the area on Craiglist?

If the rust is minimal or non-existent, I like say that's a good deal.

Tomorrow I'm looking at a 1998 Sport. Pretty basic - manual, soft top, full doors, no AC, 74000 miles, after market rims, new all season tires, good Kenwood stereo - $6650.

Any thoughts?

1999 TJ SE 2.5 manual 81k zero rust under or above (undercoated), stock wheels and 235/75 tires, soft top and full doors. $7000. I bought it in 2013. Owner had detailed maintenance history straight from the shop's computer.

Not a single issue to date except normal wear items like brakes, tie rods, and pinion seals.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Chris
Mugsy, yer profile says yer 70 but not where you live. As Chris says. Rust is the big issue even if it is low mileage. Knowing where you live helps from the perspective of rust.

Chris, why not make at least resident state mandatory information on our profiles?

Mugsy, yer profile says yer 70 but not where you live. As Chris says. Rust is the big issue even if it is low mileage. Knowing where you live helps from the perspective of rust.

Chris, why not make at least resident state mandatory information on our profiles?

That a good idea and saves having to constantly ask for the location.

Thanks to everybody who replied. I saw the TJ and passed, looked like a neglected Jeep. I live just East of Fan Francisco so area Jeeps should not have a rust problem. Thanks again until the next one.

Thanks to everybody who replied. I saw the TJ and passed, looked like a neglected Jeep. I live just East of Fan Francisco so area Jeeps should not have a rust problem. Thanks again until the next one.

You should be able to buy a good one. I seemed to find the best ones in and around San José for some reason (That's where mine is from). The east bay seemed to have a lot more modified and abused jeeps. Not sure why, but that was just my observation.

Good call!

You'll find one! I literally spent probably a year looking for one. I used an app on my iPhone called Craigslist Pro (or something like that). It allowed me to select which states/cities to search and even had auto searches where it would notify you if anyone in said states/cities posted an ad with what you were looking for.

I ended up getting my freakin awesome 06 LJ Rubicon shipped to my drive way in Tejas all the way from Las Vegas. The dude sold it to me for such a good price, I still paid thousands less than several other similar LJ Rubicons even having it shipped. I paid around $500 for shipping and bought it sight unseen.

Thanks to all who gave me their thoughts. Having looked for weeks, I stumbled on to a 2003 Sahara with 42,000 miles at a NorCal dealer. It was exactly what I had been looking for: Automatic, A/C, two tops, etc. so I bought it for $16k. I think that I may have paid $1,500 more than I should have but the opportunity was ( in my experience) a rare one. It is totally stock, runs great, and looks great.

Thanks to all who gave me their thoughts. Having looked for weeks, I stumbled on to a 2003 Sahara with 42,000 miles at a NorCal dealer. It was exactly what I had been looking for: Automatic, A/C, two tops, etc. so I bought it for $16k. I think that I may have paid $1,500 more than I should have but the opportunity was ( in my experience) a rare one. It is totally stock, runs great, and looks great.

Sounds like all-in-all you got a good buy! As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

I'd say that's a good price actually, considering the mileage and the options. Good job! Pics! Now!!!

A low mileage well maintained stock TJ is always a good buy. On a higher mileage TJ with issues you can spend well over $1500.00 in the first year just to keep it running. I'd say well bought !!

Agreed! Love hearing stories like these and totally makes my heart skip a beat knowing my '06 w/31K miles has that much value! My dad rocks! LOL