Opinions on Achilles Desert Hawk X-MT tires

RobertJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Anyone have an opinion or experience on these tires? For the price ($92 a tire), I'm thinking they will be great. I found one thread that mentioned them but said very little.

Achilles Desert Hawk X-MT

This thread on another forum has pretty positive things to say about them:

Achilles-Desert-Hawk-X-MT-Thread

I need five so cost is an issue. I definitely want an MT tire, and I don't want to spend $1k on tires if I can avoid it.

I'm not seeing what size you're looking at but I picked up 33x12.5x15 Federal Couragia tires at $140 each. They are great in the mud and not loud on the road, even with the top down. They did however take a pile of weight to balance, one has 12 oz of weights.

I looked into the Achilles as well but ended up with something I could get through the Walmart online marketplace. Being that it was purchased via Walmart I was still eligible for the lifetime free rotation and balance as well as the road hazard warranty.

I'm not seeing what size you're looking at but I picked up 33x12.5x15 Federal Couragia tires at $140 each. They are great in the mud and not loud on the road, even with the top down. They did however take a pile of weight to balance, one has 12 oz of weights.

I looked into the Achilles as well but ended up with something I could get through the Walmart online marketplace. Being that it was purchased via Walmart I was still eligible for the lifetime free rotation and balance as well as the road hazard warranty.

I'm looking at stock 30/9.5x15. I've seen the Federal Couragia, and they are intriguing. I would go with lifetime balance and rotation if I can get it as well. I'll check out WalMart prices.

Edit, They have the Federal Couragia at $100.49 at Walmart. I'm thinking I want a little more aggressive tread than that though:

Federal Couragia 30x9.5x15

I'll have to check into their tire install package. I've never used them for that.

I'm looking at stock 30/9.5x15. I've seen the Federal Couragia, and they are intriguing. I would go with lifetime balance and rotation if I can get it as well. I'll check out WalMart prices.

Edit, They have the Federal Couragia at $100.49 at Walmart. I'm thinking I want a little more aggressive tread than that though:

Federal Couragia 30x9.5x15

I'll have to check into their tire install package. I've never used them for that.
Those are all terrain oh, you need to look at the mud terrain for the aggressive tread

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RobertJ
31" N889 Mudstars from Nankang are a very old style mud terrain too if you're into that. They run very small and are close to a 30" tire which will fit stock no problem. Just like Federal they are from Taiwan.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1511-testing-the-nankang-n889-mudstar/

They are a pretty much a direct copy of the old Maxxis Buckshot mudder, from a time when pretty sidewalls designs weren't so common.

Reactions: RobertJ