Opinions on Rough Country 3.25" Lift Kit?

FergieRay

As I’ve been looking around and posted a couple times I’ve oretty much hammered down my goals for the Jeep. Quick reminder, I want to keep road manners, good appearance and increase ever so slightly off road capabilities since this is my daily driver, and I don’t want to get to deep into the weeds with it for off roading but I do enjoy getting into some trailing and light rugged terrain.
I’ve purchased wheels - Mickey Thompson Classic II 15x8.
I’ve decided on tires - BFG KO2 33x12.5R15

Now it comes down to the lift.

I don’t have an unlimited budget but I don’t want to do just a body lift. If anything I’d do a body lift in conjunction with a suspension lift. As others have mentioned and I’ve come to realize the vehicle is 15 years old at this point so some fresh suspension will be nice anyways. I think I’ve found that little Goldilocks kit I’m looking for. Price seems right, height seems right, reviews look good, but of course I’m interested in hearing more opinions. Either from people that have it personally or their buddies have them and so on. Just FYI I’m not a brand loyalist or brand snob so if you just see the brand name and assume it’s junk, please don’t bother, but if you can articulate why it’s junk and what makes Brand X’s kit superior, then I’m all ears.
Also I will not be drilling a new whole for the trac bar and will be installing an adjustable trac bar with the kit as well.

Anyways here is the link to the kit with a overview and install (of course from the company that’s trying to sell it, but it’s the best video I could find).

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-country-3-1-4-6cy-tj-644.html

Let me know what you guys think. TIA

Anything but Rough Country, tied with Skyjacker. Both are low-end mass-marketed rough/stiff riding kits that even include dropped Pitman arms that only cause bump steer on TJs.

If you're looking for a lower cost but still good riding suspension lift look at one from Zone. They also include what's needed to prevent drivetrain vibrations. I don't run a Zone personally but they receive universally good reviews from owners.

The shocks are shit. Literally the WORST riding shocks you'll ever have.

Let me ask you this: Do you value the way your TJ rides on-road? Do you want a good ride or a rough ride? If you want a rough ride, order that lift on up.

However, I will tell you that Rough Country shocks may as well just be pogo sticks, they are that bad.

Having run those shocks (and just about every other shock out there), I can tell you from first hand experience that the shocks are crap.

The springs are just springs, and they'll be fine though.

Another thing, 3.25" is not optimal for 33" tires. For looks only, yes, that would work. But, if you plan to do any off-roading, you want 4" of lift to clear 33s ideally. That extra .75" does indeed make a difference.

If you're looking to do it on a budget, stay away from kits.

Buy some Rancho RS5000X shocks (the best riding off-the-shelf shocks I've found), pair them with some OME 2.5" springs (or some other similar springs), and add a 1.25" body lift. You'll be at 3.75" of lift (close enough), and while it might cost a bit more than that lift, it won't be too much more.

If you hang around the Jeep community long enough, you'll realize that people aren't being "brand snobs" when they say Rough Country sucks, they are usually speaking from experience, or commenting on the fact that a good majority of the components in a Rough Country lift kit are very low quality, particularly the shocks.

But then it's as the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for". At that price point, I'm not sure anyone could expect it to be that great anyways.

And yes, as Jerry said, the "Zone" lift is a better option when comparing it to Rough Country.

Yea I can attest to this sadly. When I bought my 3.25 RC kit I didn't know much about lift kits and didn't look into it as much as I wish I would have. I did replace the RC shocks with the Rancho RS5000x and that helped but the only thing that wasn't bad was the springs. I would wait and save up for something that is a little better quality.

I have ran the zone 4.25" combo lift for 2 years now. It is there 3" suspension paired with 1.25" body lift. I do go offroading but 95% of the time it's on road. So far the lift is holding up well (no spring sag, rides great, no driveline vibes, paint on all components holding up well). Everything seemed beefy compared to the stock components. I did spend a little extra for their hydro shocks. That being said there are better lift kits to buy, but for the price I think Zone is a good lift without breaking the bank. The instructions are very easy to follow and it comes with everything you need.

I have no first hand experience with rough country on a Jeep, but I haven't heard much good. I follow rough country on instagram and literally everyday they come out with some new product for some random ass vehicle. How much engineering and quality can go into a product when they offer so many parts so often? I would research Zone some before you just decide on rough country, I think it would be a better choice. If I could go back in time, I probably would have went with a frankenlift using some of the best components from different companies (Currie, JKS, Rancho shocks, etc.). But I am happy with Zone for the money I have in it and until it breaks or wears out, it will be staying under my TJ.

Reactions: TheReV
I have ran the zone 4.25" combo lift for 2 years now. It is there 3" suspension paired with 1.25" body lift. I do go offroading but 95% of the time it's on road. So far the lift is holding up well (no spring sag, rides great, no driveline vibes, paint on all components holding up well). Everything seemed beefy compared to the stock components. I did spend a little extra for their hydro shocks. That being said there are better lift kits to buy, but for the price I think Zone is a good lift without breaking the bank. The instructions are very easy to follow and it comes with everything you need.

I have no first hand experience with rough country on a Jeep, but I haven't heard much good. I follow rough country on instagram and literally everyday they come out with some new product for some random ass vehicle. How much engineering and quality can go into a product when they offer so many parts so often? I would research Zone some before you just decide on rough country, I think it would be a better choice. If I could go back in time, I probably would have went with a frankenlift using some of the best components from different companies (Currie, JKS, Rancho shocks, etc.). But I am happy with Zone for the money I have in it and until it breaks or wears out, it will be staying under my TJ.
I my self have this same exact lift for about 6 mos. And I agree with cornbread [emoji817]! For what I paid it's fantastic..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
906706dc0ea525a1354cf916c67c75a6.jpg

Reactions: Cornbread
So I am just curious when considering solely on road ride quality, besides shocks, what else in a lift kit would make it drive better or worse?
The shocks are the main provider of a good or bad ride. The springs themselves have little to do with the ride quality.

When a thoughtless or not completely technically astute suspension lift manufacturer also includes a dropped Pitman arm to be installed without question, that will cause bump steer on a Wrangler TJ. Rough Country and Skyjacker are two "not completely technically astute" companies that do that.

Overinflating tires will cause a bad ride, most tire shops overinflate tires as a matter of wanting to err on the side of too much air pressure for liability reasons rather than insufficient air pressure which is dangerous. Know too that the air pressure molded onto the side of an automotive tire is NEVER the correct pressure to inflate an automotive tire to. That is only its maximum safe air pressure which would only be appropriate if the tire was made to carry its maximum safe load. Tires generally never carry more than about half of their max safe load so that sidewall air pressure would never be the correct pressure to air them up to. The proper tire pressure depends on the weight of the vehicle it's mounted on. The same exact tire and tire size would have multiple correct air pressures when mounted on vehicles with different weights.

Also causing a stiffer ride will be caused by installing stiffer Load Range D or E tires on a TJ whose weight means a Load Range C tire is the correct choice.

The shocks are the main provider of a good or bad ride. The springs themselves have little to do with the ride quality.

When a thoughtless or not completely technically astute suspension lift manufacturer also includes a dropped Pitman arm to be installed without question, that will cause bump steer on a Wrangler TJ. Rough Country and Skyjacker are two "not completely technically astute" companies that do that.

Overinflating tires will cause a bad ride, most tire shops overinflate tires as a matter of wanting to err on the side of too much air pressure for liability reasons rather than insufficient air pressure which is dangerous. Know too that the air pressure molded onto the side of an automotive tire is NEVER the correct pressure to inflate an automotive tire to. That is only its maximum safe air pressure which would only be appropriate if the tire was made to carry its maximum safe load. Tires generally never carry more than about half of their max safe load so that sidewall air pressure would never be the correct pressure to air them up to. The proper tire pressure depends on the weight of the vehicle it's mounted on. The same exact tire and tire size would have multiple correct air pressures when mounted on vehicles with different weights.

Also causing a stiffer ride will be caused by installing stiffer Load Range D or E tires on a TJ whose weight means a Load Range C tire is the correct choice.

The PO put Toyo Open Country 33s on my rig....they are Load E. Between that and the Roughy Country lift he installed I’m about to lose a few fillings!

Since the tires are load E, can I get away with a PSI under 26 for the highway and around town?

The PO put Toyo Open Country 33s on my rig....they are Load E. Between that and the Rough Country lift he installed I’m about to lose a few fillings!

Since the tires are load E, can I get away with a PSI under 26 for the highway and around town?
Yes, I would reduce the pressure to a reasonable lower pressure of those LR E tires. I dunno how low would be good, I wouldn't go under 20.

Reactions: P1W
My Cooper Discoverer St Maxx are load range E as well, I found they ride much better around 24 psi than what the shop who mounted them aired them up to.

Reactions: P1W
I my self have this same exact lift for about 6 mos. And I agree with cornbread [emoji817]! For what I paid it's fantastic..

View attachment 76254

I was just curious did you drill the hole to relocate your factory trackbar or did you buy an adjustable? Reason I ask is everyone I know who has the Zone kit went ahead and installed one from JKS. I myself just drilled the hole to offset it. Not sure if the JKS would be to any benefit or upgrade.

I was just curious did you drill the hole to relocate your factory trackbar or did you buy an adjustable? Reason I ask is everyone I know who has the Zone kit went ahead and installed one from JKS. I myself just drilled the hole to offset it. Not sure if the JKS would be to any benefit or upgrade.
While I drilled a second hole in that bracket 20 years ago before I knew any better, I wouldn't now. That bracket is under a lot of load at times and drilling it weakens it. It's better to install a good quality adjustable length track bar like from Currie or JKS. Be aware that not all track bars are designed with the properly placed bends to clear the differential cover. Currie's and JKS's are properly designed together with having good quality flex joints.

I have 33x12.5r15 KO2s with Rancho shocks and I have them aired to about 24 and it rides well so if I were to go back and do it again, I would find an actual good lift and hopefully in the next year i'll be able to get a nicer kit!

While I drilled a second hole in that bracket 20 years ago before I knew any better, I wouldn't now. That bracket is under a lot of load at times and drilling it weakens it. It's better to install a good quality adjustable length track bar like from Currie or JKS. Be aware that not all track bars are designed with the properly placed bends to clear the differential cover. Currie's and JKS's are properly designed together with having good quality flex joints.

I thought it was weak as well, so I fabbed up some quarter inch steel and welded it in, then drilled through that to reinforce the factory bracket. I like the JKS for the price and it looks nice. Might pick one up some day for shits and giggles.

I thought it was weak as well, so I fabbed up some quarter inch steel and welded it in, then drilled through that to reinforce the factory bracket. I like the JKS for the price and it looks nice. Might pick one up some day for shits and giggles.
I drilled due to budget issues lol.. but a jks and reinforcing is Def on the way