Opinions on Valvoline flushing the fluid on my 42RLE?

Peter Panagakos

TJ Enthusiast
I just had the T-case and differential fluid/oil replaced in my 2006 TJ. I have the 42rle trans and would like opinions on having the local Valvoline oil change place flush out the old fluid and replace. ATF 4 of course. Is this a good idea, or is it necessary to go to a trans shop and have the trans drained and a new filter installed, then new fluid. The Valvoline guys told me the filter is just a screen and the flush method with leaving the filter in place is fine, it will get cleaned out. I'm not sure I buy that. I'm also not sure I buy that the filter is just a screen. I suspect there's more to it than that. I've become reliant on the advise found on this site.

NO - you need to change the filter based on everything I've read on here. I also have a 42RLE on my 04 Sport. I would be very discerning about who I let touch that transmission and I'd gladly pay a bit extra for the peace of mind that a professional with Jeep/42RLE experience is doing the work. I'd personally work with a dealership if you're set on having someone else do it (no judgement, I probably will do the same for my own trans fluid this first go around)

Also keep in mind, when they do their "flush", they're only removing a portion of the fluid in your system (doesn't drain torque converter for example) so you're mixing new fluid in with old. This is better than nothing but yeah man that filter needs to be changed out based on everything I've read.

Also, for future reference, the T-case is legit like the easiest thing to change ever, easier than oil change IMO, just really messy. Unscrew the fill cap to ensure you can refill, then unscrew the drain and let it all run out. Replace drain cap then pump in the new fluid until it starts to dribble out the fill hole, replace fill cap. You can check exact capacities for your particular tcase on this forum. I've no problem letting a professional step in when it's beyond my abilities/available time but this one is so simple, I'd love for you to be able to save that money.

I did both, just for peace of mind, but my Jeep had quite a few miles, I'm not the first owner, and wasn't sure if it had ever been changed.
Your local oil change place will put a tube down the fill tube of the trans into the pan. They pump the pan empty and then add new fluid in its place. Then they run the Jeep a bit and cycle it through the gears, shut off the Jeep and repeat the process. They do this a number of times, so that theoretically, when all is said and done, the old fluid has been diluted with a bunch of new fluid, so in a way, this is a bit better than just dropping the pan and replacing the filter and whatever fluid is in the pan because, overall, more of the old fluid, including the fluid in the converter has been cycled out of the system. I don't really trust an oil change joint to not strip my oil pan drain plug or to not mess up putting a new oil filter on the Jeep, but this job doesn't even require them to use hand tools. As long as they use the right fluid, this system basically does the job for them. I did this, then drove the Jeep for about 500 miles. I have heard that putting in fresh fluid, with a bunch of fresh detergents often breaks up sludge that has built in the transmission, which can clog a new filter, so my thought was that, if that was the case, I'd just be clogging the old filter. After 500 miles or so, I dropped the pan, changed the filter and refilled with new fluid again. After the first change by the oil change shop, I didn't notice any significant change in the way the Jeep shifted. But after the second change that included changing the filter, shifts became noticeably better. This cost a bit more money, of course, but much cheaper than a new transmission. I was nearing 150k miles on the Jeep when I did this, so it just seemed like good insurance.

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
Definitely drop the pan and change the filter. The amount of crud laying on the bottom of the pan can be impressive. I would NOT trust the local quicky oil shop to do this. I would feel a bit more comfortable at a dealership, but talk with a tec about how they do it. One more reason I prefer a stick shift. Much harder to F up and much easier to know when it is F-ed up.

Reactions: Hunter Rich
At a minimum you should change the filter and replace the fluid lost when you remove the pan to change the filter. That is the factory recommended service for your transmission. Beyond that, there are plenty of good discussions here that talk about what else you can do if you feel you want to go above and beyond what Jeep suggests. Please ignore the advice of those Valvoline people you spoke to.

My advice would be to drop the pan, add a drain plug and replace the filter with a Mopar filter. Then drain the pan and refill with the amount drained every 15,000 miles.

The normal service interval for TJ's with the 42RLE is fluid and filter every 60,000 miles (severe service every 30,000 miles).

You can go with a filter change every 60,000 miles but I think the fluid should be replaced more frequently, and immediately if you experience an overheat condition.

I've followed a maintenance schedule were I drain the pan every 15,000 miles and replace the filter every 30,000 - 45,000 miles. At the filter change interval, I drain the pan and refill then run the engine for 45 seconds and drain the pan again before replacing the filter.

My 42RLE is still working fine at 242,000+ miles.

Reactions: Chris
My advice would be to drop the pan, add a drain plug and replace the filter with a Mopar filter. Then drain the pan and refill with the amount drained every 15,000 miles.

The normal service interval for TJ's with the 42RLE is fluid and filter every 60,000 miles (severe service every 30,000 miles).

You can go with a filter change every 60,000 miles but I think the fluid should be replaced more frequently, and immediately if you experience an overheat condition.

I've followed a maintenance schedule were I drain the pan every 15,000 miles and replace the filter every 30,000 - 45,000 miles. At the filter change interval, I drain the pan and refill then run the engine for 45 seconds and drain the pan again before replacing the filter.

My 42RLE is still working fine at 242,000+ miles.
I’d also add a temp gauge to the pan so you know if you’re cooking your oil.