Opinions requested on estimate for frame repair

RedTJ

TJ Enthusiast
I found a rust hole on the frame at the passenger side front lower control arm mount. I also found rust under the skid plate. I have an estimate of $1980 to use frame caps (I guess that's what they're called) to repair both frame rails under the skid plate and the area by the lower control arm mount. The estimate includes coating the new areas.

I'd like anyone's opinion on if this is reasonable.

2002 Wrangler X, 4.0L I6

I wouldn't even have the slightest clue if this is reasonable or not. It sounds very high to me though. I say that because all that's needed is cutting the old section out and welding in the new section. I can't imagine that would take more than several hours, plus the cost of the materials (which couldn't be more than a few hundred.

Personally I think you're being taken to the cleaners, but you'd have to show us photos of just how bad this rust is.

There isn't a whole lot to see by looking under it. The hole in the frame by the front right lower control arm mount is pretty obvious, but otherwise it looks like bad surface rust. I noticed the problem around the skid plate when I attempted to remove the skid plate and the bolts stripped out of the frame.

Here's a picture of the lower control arm mount:

There really isn't anything to see where the skid plate is unless I remove it, but this is what it looks like:

and one more of the lower control arm mount

LCAM.jpg

Here's some more info on the estimate I received

Parts:

493.27: Mid Frame Cap SE Quantity 1 (maybe they mean for both?)
199.93: RF Frame Cap

Labor:

55.00: Remove and reinstall skid plate
330.00: Cut out and remove rust from both frame rails
660.00: Fit and install mid frame caps, bot sides
165.00: Fit and install right front frame cap at mount
110.00: Prep, prime, paint/undercoat frame sections

thanks to all for any guidance you can offer.

I don't know either but, 55 bucks to R&R the skid sounds like a BS charge. That is like charging you to remove the tires when doing a brake job. I'd keep looking and compare prices.

I found a rust hole on the frame at the passenger side front lower control arm mount. I also found rust under the skid plate. I have an estimate of $1980 to use frame caps (I guess that's what they're called) to repair both frame rails under the skid plate and the area by the lower control arm mount. The estimate includes coating the new areas.

2002 Wrangler X, 4.0L I6
I think that's way too much. I too live in the rust belt. You could buy a whole new frame for around $1500 and move everything over. It's a pain, friend of mine has done it to a few YJs.

Try to find a freind or someone that welds and buy the repair sections and pay him to do it. Maybe there is like a local section on some welding forums? Just an idea.

Reactions: billiebob

2002 Wrangler X, 4.0L I6
If you brought it to me, I'd charge more. Getting anything rusty clean enough to weld to is time consuming. The driver's side has a lot of crap in the way that makes it hard to get the inside clean. That and I hate working on rusty vehicles and typically won't. If you brought me a new frame, it would be at least 2 grand to swap everything over and that will creep a lot higher because you'll look at some of rusty crap and have it replaced rather than pay someone to move it over to a clean frame.

What Blaine is saying makes sense. I obviously don't have the fabrication experience he does, but I have worked underneath enough rusty vehicles in my life to know that it's absolutely miserable. Rust (as you know) is like cancer, and if you want it to stay gone, you've got to get rid of all of it.

It certainly won't hurt to get a second quote / opinion (I would if I were you), but now that I had time to think about that price, it doesn't sound that unreasonable. Of course for that money, you may be able to get a brand new, rust free frame (not sure what they cost), which would be even better.

Reactions: Tj04
Sure to entirely stop the rust, but in my opinion it's unreasonable to attempt that if you live in a state that salts the roads.

With a rust out but take a grinder cut it out clean up what you can with a wire wheel, sand blast, weld and paint. It's just going to rust again I wouldn't bother doing a full blown frame restoration and everything. If you live in a salt state it's just a waste to buy a new frame I think. I hope you can find crontol arm mounts cheaper than $250 a peice.

Just my unprofessional opinion from someone that doesn't have $1800 to blow on frame repair, but is about to start the repair of 2 80's minnesota YJ frames. I don't make money fixing cars.

And I agree with MrBlaine and Chris it is a chore and I can see why places charge so much.

Best of luck to you and hope you get it fixed at a good price.

Last edited:
I'm getting the same areas repaired on my TJ this weekend.

The Center Frame at Skid Plate Mount section, and the Rear Trailing Arm Mounts sections on both driver and passenger sides. I have some major rust at the skid plate and my welds are coming apart on the upper control arms, so i'm getting this job done before I drive across the country again.

The Safe-T-Caps alone cost $800-900 roughly for both of those sections, however I found another company called Pocono Metal Craft who sells the same exact parts for less, and they sell them on Amazon too so if you have any store credit on there you can apply that as well!

So if thats what the parts cost, the labor would be around a G and thats about whats to be expected...its not out of the norm especially if they're including the undercoating after too. Keep in mind thats over 20 feet of full seam welding that needs to happen. For my job we happen to have a hydraulic lift in the family and a couple welders and are going to undergo the procedure ourselves to save the $ on labor.

So yeah its going to be that expensive unless you can cut the corners a little.

Thank you for your input. I haven't gotten it fixed yet. I've been trying to get another estimate, but there doesn't appear to be too many shops that do this kind of work in southeast Virginia.

This Jeep has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned as far as repairs go, but for some reason I still like it. I can drive it to work and I can go somewhere and have fun with it. If it was some 4 cylinder front wheel drive econo-roach I probably would have burned it a few years ago.

Rust repair is such a crap shoot...I looked at having a truck fixed once...I quickly realized I was better selling it, and buying something else. If you can repair it yourself, it's better, but still a pain in the ass. @mrblaine is right as well. Even if you buy a new frame, as you start putting the old stuff on it, you're gong to find stuff that you want to replace instead of bolting that crap back on. The cost will be double what you think, at least.

Thank you for your input. I haven't gotten it fixed yet. I've been trying to get another estimate, but there doesn't appear to be too many shops that do this kind of work in southeast Virginia.

This Jeep has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned as far as repairs go, but for some reason I still like it. I can drive it to work and I can go somewhere and have fun with it. If it was some 4 cylinder front wheel drive econo-roach I probably would have burned it a few years ago.
I hear ya, when you buy a used vehicle you have no idea on how much it was neglected prior to you buying it so its a big catch up game. I love mine too and I need it to last a while so, thats why i'm doing this frame repair. Check out that "Pocono Metal Craft" for the parts too that may save you some money. You could also skip the shops undercoating and do that yourself to save some cash too. I know it will still cost some good money regardless...

Reactions: JMT
Biggest concern.... will the $1550 even resolve the issue? I my mind... look for a rust free frame and trade them out.

To "repair"?? rust? with the caps....you assume there is some steel to weld to. Regardless of "is this a reasonable price to do this"? Is "THIS" going to fix the problem. Without seeing the problem no one can answer that.

Reactions: Chris