Optimal psi for 285/75R16 tires?

Bills> Here is directly from your “tiresize.com” link:

Again, 35psi would be the correct pressure according to the professionals but something in the 20’s is more appropriate for real world conditions. I stand by what I originally said 100% and nobody has shown anything to the contrary.

3DBDA573-73F4-4FD2-87C0-8F82762258FA.jpeg

I run that size, I don't mean to offend anyone but I run 26 psi, I would say the jeep rides better than it does with 30 or more psi. My tires are KM3's.

Reactions: Vtx531

Oh, now I understand. You mean "not recommended by Ford or Firestone risk managers."

I thought you were referring to someone who knows something about tires rather than a generic legal disclaimer.

Carry on, Grasshopper, and may a cadre of lawyers protect you against all risk in life.

Optimal for your metric equivalent of a 33” tire is 26psi. I just ran my Cooper STT Pros at 26psi for 28,474 miles and the wear is even across the tire. Still have 8-9/32’s on 3 tires and 10-11/32’s on 2 tires.
How's the noise on those?

How's the noise on those?
I'm now running Maxxis Razr MT 33x12.5r15. They have about 10 miles on them and are louder from the beginning than the Cooper STT Pro's were at the end or anytime between the beginning and the end. I would say the Cooper STT Pro's are a fantastic tire. They were never noisy. I barely heard them. And to have that much tread left after 28,500 miles is very acceptable to me. Of course, the Cooper is a hybrid between an AT and an MT, but it is more of an MT to me than an AT. Great tire, can't say enough good about it.

Reactions: Impact LJ

Again, 35psi would be the correct pressure according to the professionals but something in the 20’s is more appropriate for real world conditions. I stand by what I originally said 100% and nobody has shown anything to the contrary.

View attachment 217970
Yeah, don't get a Load E tire. Why would anyone do that for a vehicle that is classified as LT? Because they want to jar their teeth out of their mouth? Get a Load C tire, run 26psi, run a good shock valved for our TJ's, and keep your teeth.

Jerry can you please explain how I am “misinterpreting it”?

Or if I have the “wrong” load table, please post one that shows a 285-75-16 tire with numbers for less than 35psi.
No, I'm not going to waste any more of my time trying to explain something that would disagree, again, with your set-in-concrete opinion. Put another way, you're taking information you're reading at face-value without really understanding it and you refuse to learn guideline data is not always the answer for all situations, tire sizes, different vehicle weights, etc. No one table can give all pressures required for all combinations of vehicle weights, tire construction, and tire sizes. You continuing to fixate that underlined piece of information without understanding it is the problem that has everyone, me included, riled up.

All of which is why I advised we stop trying to educate you since you're convinced you're correct, won't listen to us, and that we are all wrong. Sad.

No offense intended, but have you ever actually driven 33's at 35 psi? It feels like bombs going off if you happen to hit a small indentation in the road. The only reason why anyone would air up that high is if they were carrying a bunch of passengers or towing. Obviously op didn't ask about towing psi though.

No, I'm not going to waste any more of my time trying to explain something that would disagree, again, with your set-in-concrete opinion. Put another way, you're taking information you're reading at face-value without really understanding it and you refuse to learn guideline data is not always the answer for all situations, tire sizes, different vehicle weights, etc. No one table can give all pressures required for all combinations of vehicle weights, tire construction, and tire sizes. You continuing to fixate that underlined piece of information without understanding it is the problem that has everyone, me included, riled up.

All of which is why I advised we stop trying to educate you since you're convinced you're correct, won't listen to us, and that we are all wrong. Sad.
Deargod, That is exactly what I have said the entire time from the beginning:

1. Officially the recommended pressure would be 35 psi

2. Unofficially, people are successfully running in the 20-something psi range

Yet for some reason you guys are arguing me that I am misinterpreting, wrong tables, linking websites that say the exact same thing that I am saying, calling me names, etc, etc. So I will be moving on from this thread as well.

If you are going to break the rules or guidelines or whatever (which is totally fine) then at least know what they are and that they exist.

Last edited:
No offense intended, but have you ever actually driven 33's at 35 psi? It feels like bombs going off if you happen to hit a small indentation in the road. The only reason why anyone would air up that high is if they were carrying a bunch of passengers or towing. Obviously op didn't ask about towing psi though.
Yes I have and yes I agree with all you people. Fucksake

‘Sorry. My big finger hit “post” too soon.
anyway, I didn’t know which lane the Jeep would choose without any input from me. 😳
After getting home, making some phone calls & doing some research I lowered my pressures from 35 psi to 26 psi & all is well. ‘Big difference!!

Reactions: L J
26-28 will be fine. Here's what was posted, sometime ago, that I've been using to figure out tire pressure.

The way the OEM’s come up with the PSI rating on the doors is by using a formula. Max weight of tire listed x 4= x. X / curb weight = x. Max PSI listed on tire / x= suggested PSI

So sidewall max weight = 2250 x 4 = 9000
9000 / 4000 ( weight of Jeep) = 2.5
Max psi listed 55psi / 2.5= 22 psi recommend for Jeep.

If you call most if not all tire companies and ask them how much psi to run they will ask weight of vehicle and use this formula.