Options for cracked exhaust manifold replacement on 2.5?

zlandquist

I just learned that my exhaust manifold on my 1999 2.5L 4cyl is cracked. It's not a bad crack, so I am not fixing it until next month, also I don't drive much at college.

I have been starting to research what to replace it with. Looking around on this forum, I have read a lot of conflicting information.

Some threads said that headers are good, some said they crack, some said just get a manifold and go with it.
I'm looking for a good replacement. I've heard that headers increase performance and make the exhaust sound cooler. I'd like to go that route, but if it's bad then I won't.

Any help to decide the right part (header or manifold), and what brand to go with would be much appreciated!
Still learning all about all the mechanical systems in cars, so go easy on me lol

Thanks!

Headers will not increase performance at all unless you're talking about a well designed, full long-tube header. The kind you see online (eBay, Amazon, etc.) are cheap Chinese, shit quality headers and will crack MUCH faster than your OE exhaust manifold.

If you want to replace it with something that will take a long, long time to crack, replace it with a stock manifold. This is the best advice you will get, I promise.

The stock one has lasted your vehicle 21 years, which is impressive if you actually think about it.

The aftermarket headers you see online will last 2-3 years, maybe 5 if you're lucky.

Reactions: SSTJ
Headers will not increase performance at all unless you're talking about a well designed, full long-tube header. The kind you see online (eBay, Amazon, etc.) are cheap Chinese, shit quality headers and will crack MUCH faster than your OE exhaust manifold.

If you want to replace it with something that will take a long, long time to crack, replace it with a stock manifold. This is the best advice you will get, I promise.

The stock one has lasted your vehicle 21 years, which is impressive if you actually think about it.

The aftermarket headers you see online will last 2-3 years, maybe 5 if you're lucky.
That makes sense, I guess there hasn't really been a well-made header yet. That sucks

Do you have any recommendations to find a stock manifold in a timely fashion?

That makes sense, I guess there hasn't really been a well-made header.

Do you have any recommendations to find a stock manifold in a timely fashion?

Yep, that's exactly it. No one makes a "well made" header. Technically speaking you could pay 2-3k and have someone build you a very, very nice custom made long tube header (from high grade steel), but the cost outweighs the benefits unless you have really deep pockets.

As far as a replacement stock manifold goes, this would be a good option:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C8P8GG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Yep, that's exactly it. No one makes a "well made" header. Technically speaking you could pay 2-3k and have someone build you a very, very nice custom made long tube header (from high grade steel), but the cost outweighs the benefits unless you have really deep pockets.

Yeah, being a college student my pockets are super shallow lol

How is that compared to the dorman manifold? Or does it really matter?

Not easy to find and aftermarket stock Cast Iron manifold as they do not fit properly, try and find an original Mopar if possible. I have been running a SS tubular manifold (OEM pattern direct fit) that I found on Ebay and they fit nicely, honestly it's the only thing I found that does fit. The aftermarket CI manifolds also have a plugged outlet that was used on YJ's for the O2 sensor and those caps are total crap. The SS manifold has been in service for almost 4 years now and it's all good.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=202889422504

Reactions: SSTJ and Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.

Hey Chris, although they look like a decent option take it from a 2.5 owner that they do not fit properly (casting to thick at bolting point)

Not easy to find and aftermarket stock Cast Iron manifold as they do not fit properly, try and find an original Mopar if possible. I have been running a SS tubular manifold (OEM pattern direct fit) that I found on Ebay and they fit nicely, honestly it's the only thing I found that does fit. The aftermarket CI manifolds also have a plugged outlet that was used on YJ's for the O2 sensor and those caps are total crap. The SS manifold has been in service for almost 4 years now and it's all good.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=202889422504
I'm looking at that link, and I'm trying to understand why the gasket it different from the CI manifolds.
Doesn't the gasket need to also have the cutouts for the intake manifold?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I'm looking at that link, and I'm trying to understand why the gasket it different from the CI manifolds.
Doesn't the gasket need to also have the cutouts for the intake manifold?

The gasket that's included is only for the exhaust manifold (don't know why) but I just tossed it and used a new Felpro.

The gasket that's included is only for the exhaust manifold (don't know why) but I just tossed it and used a new Felpro.
Ah, ok. That makes sense, I was confused for a second there.
I am reading the reviews on the ebay link, and most of the reviews said the holes don't line up. But you said it lined up well. Just trying to make sure I understand as much as I can before I buy and replace it.

Hey Chris, although they look like a decent option take it from a 2.5 owner that they do not fit properly (casting to thick at bolting point)

No kidding? I would have never known. I saw something that said they were made in Canada, so I figured it had to be better than some Chinese junk. Anyways, this is good to know!

So many of those Chinese manifolds they sell on eBay are pure garbage. Had one for my 4.0 and it cracked in under a year!

Ah, ok. That makes sense, I was confused for a second there.
I am reading the reviews on the ebay link, and most of the reviews said the holes don't line up. But you said it lined up well. Just trying to make sure I understand as much as I can before I buy and replace it.

There are numerous similar headers on ebay, just search around.

No kidding? I would have never known. I saw something that said they were made in Canada, so I figured it had to be better than some Chinese junk. Anyways, this is good to know!

So many of those Chinese manifolds they sell on eBay are pure garbage. Had one for my 4.0 and it cracked in under a year!
I have used 2 over the last 8 years on my 2.5 and the first one went about 3 years, the 2nd one is still going strong. Both CI manifolds one was Dorman and the other was from Amazon were very short lived lasting less than 4 months. Didn't know what to do otherwise so I tried the ebay headers.

Reactions: Chris
I have used 2 over the last 8 years on my 2.5 and the first one went about 3 years, the 2nd one is still going strong. Both CI manifolds one was Dorman and the other was from Amazon were very short lived lasting less than 4 months. Didn't know what to do otherwise so I tried the ebay headers.

Go figure! Well, I guess it shows how little I know about the 2.5, because for the 4.0 they really seem to suck.

The first one you cannot tell if it's Oem, the second one looks to be Oem but the broken studs have to be removed and the third Is not Oem.

If you notice the plugged outlet just above the downpipe connection that is for the earlier 2.5's and although it will fit, TJ 2.5 manifolds did not utilize that connection as you can see in the second link. That capped outlet can be a failure concern ( had 2 of them fail ) as I mentioned above. If an Ad states it's for a 91 to 02 wrangler 2.5 then it will have the plugged outlet, correct manifold would be 97 to 02.

Go figure! Well, I guess it shows how little I know about the 2.5, because for the 4.0 they really seem to suck.

They do tend to suck for the 2.5 also but unless you want to drop coin on a Banks direct replacement there are very limited options out there, I'm just glad it has held up this long. Hopefully going TDI diesel in the near future.