O'reilly top and side post AGM

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I need to pick up a new battery and am looking at the O'reilly AGM with top and side posts. The side posts would be used for powering add-ons like stereo, lights, etc. Other than not running the winch off the side posts, is there a reason not to get this over the top post only version? FWIW, I'm aware of higher end AGMs, but this is a good compromise of price and quality.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-size-34-78/ssbq/3478plt/v/a/17926/automotive

I haven't used the side posts yet but I did the same, but with NAPAs AGM. It was about the same price.

I haven't researched so I wasn't aware of the prohibition on winches using the side posts. Makes sense if you just have a standard ring terminal but if you put the actual side post cable end on it I would think it would be fine. Something internal to the battery terminal?

Reactions: Irun
I melted a side post on an Optima during a sustained pull.
Shitty batteries. To Optima's credit they warn against connecting a winch to their side posts which are not made well enough to support a winch. Just one more reason I'd never buy another Optima battery.

Reactions: 707kevin
I haven't used the side posts yet but I did the same, but with NAPAs AGM. It was about the same price.
They have $50 off now with a WINTER20 coupon. That and a $50 gift card sealed the deal for me. The only weird part is you can't use the coupon if you pick it up at the store. It can only be used for ship to home. Needless to say, they're shipping me a battery.

Shitty batteries. To Optima's credit they warn against connecting a winch to their side posts which are not made well enough to support a winch. Just one more reason I'd never buy another Optima battery.

This is years ago when they weren't. Also there was no warning when I stalled it.

This is years ago when they weren't. Also there was no warning when I stalled it.
Optima warned against connecting a winch to their side posts even in 2000 when I installed my first of 3 Optima batteries... all of which died prematurely. Their warning way back then was why I added a pair of 2 gauge jumper connectors between the side and top posts to carry the load.
This was my last Optima battery, my first two were Yellow Tops and the jumpers were connected to their side posts.

Battery parallel jumpers.JPG

I'm not a fan of the side post, it is extremely easy to strip the soft threads on the side post making them useless.
Be very aware of this when tightening, can't really tighten, have to just snug a bit.
Good luck.
Never had a single issue with that on the 5 AGM batteries I've had with winches connected to their side connectors.

Reactions: Geepum
The pictures you show are a stud on top, not the soft threads on the side.
You need to pay a little more attention. As was explained in that post only one of my six AGM batteries had the posts on top, the Blue Top which I posted to show the jumpers I used on all three Optimas. The other five AGM batteries all had side posts.

I just installed that orielly battery a few months ago. What you can't see in the picture, the side posts have a full lead connection to the terminals. The plastic covers are all metal underneath.

I connected the winch to the side posts. Haven't had to use the winch yet, I expect it to be fine.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Optima warned against connecting a winch to their side posts even in 2000 when I installed my first of 3 Optima batteries... all of which died prematurely. Their warning way back then was why I added a pair of 2 gauge jumper connectors between the side and top posts to carry the load.
This was my last Optima battery, my first two were Yellow Tops and the jumpers were connected to their side posts.

View attachment 491267

Mine was a yellow top. I got it from Sears, to show how long ago it was. It was fine for years until this happened. It's still working in my buddies tractor.

Last yellow top i had didn't hold up, done with optima's. Running an Odyssey now. So far so good, only time will tell.

1705549650154.png

available side mount as well

1705549755520.png