Outdoor Dog Kennel Build

Babygools99

TJ Enthusiast
I bought my first house when i was 22 back in late 2018. It sits on a nice unrestricted 3.86 acres, and i've been wanting to do an outdoor dog kennel for a while now, so today was the day i finally got around to setting the posts and tackling a small bit of framing.
The Kennel sits at 8x16, with a 6 foot section completely framed out and a window unit installed and an automatic water system. I plan on putting a metal roof over the top, and concrete the entire floor, while covering the inside section in horse mat so it's a bit more comfortable. Long story short, my dogs are spoiled, lol.

20200719_163237.jpg

20200719_163225.jpg

awesome, I love dogs

Give them a raised flat roof, dogs love to be on the high ground.
A common ingredient in Alaska, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories with sled dogs is to use a flat roof on the dog house. On a sunny day even if it is 40 below all the dogs, often 20 or more, will be on the roof of their dog house.

Wish I could find a picture but 20 years and 4 computers later......

Last edited:
awesome, I love dogs

Give them a raised flat roof, dogs love to be on the high ground.
A common ingredient in Alaska, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories with sled dogs is to use a flat roof on the dog house. On a sunny day even if it is 40 below all the dogs, often 20 or more, will be on the roof of their dog house.

Wish I could find a picture but 20 years and 4 computers later......
Got ya covered. You can see the top of Napeequa’s house is slightly dished from her laying on it.
049E5222-F00A-423A-80B7-C9FA16A352B6.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought my first house when i was 22 back in late 2018. It sits on a nice unrestricted 3.86 acres, and i've been wanting to do an outdoor dog kennel for a while now, so today was the day i finally got around to setting the posts and tackling a small bit of framing.
The Kennel sits at 8x16, with a 6 foot section completely framed out and a window unit installed and an automatic water system. I plan on putting a metal roof over the top, and concrete the entire floor, while covering the inside section in horse mat so it's a bit more comfortable. Long story short, my dogs are spoiled, lol.

View attachment 177983

View attachment 177984
Not spoiled. Well taken care of. Looks to be a nice setup when it’s done.

Reactions: Babygools99
This being my first time ever doing a project like this, and doing it alone, I think I’ve overbuilt this kennel, which isn’t a bad thing. I’ve gotten most of the framework complete, just need to do a few finishing touches, and finish the roof so I can put some metal on it.

40C8125A-91A1-44AD-B538-0B4AF13B664D.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Didn't gain much ground since the last post, and i have had a few ideas that have changed about how i want it to look and function. So a few tweaks to the framework are in order. After that i will be off to the races putting the metal roof on, pouring 2 inches of concrete, metal siding, and all of that fun metal trim.

20200729_190202.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting