Over 100K miles - preventative maintenance / tips

Sed_7

Hi All,

I recent passed the 100K miles mark on my TJ and I want to keep her going for another 100K more! I'm looking for advice/tips on general maintenance, and what future repairs I should prepare for. Mostly stock 2000 4.0L, 2" lift, daily driver around 40 miles a day on the freeway

I recently overhauled the cooling system (thank you @Chris ).

Some upgrades I was thinking of...

Improve/upgrade the steering? Steering has a bit of play, more noticeable at freeway speeds

Upgrade the cylinder head? I believe my 2000 TJ still has a original 0331 non TUPY cylinder head, but I haven't run into any problems yet

Upgrade the suspension? Changing to adjustable sway bar links was suggested but not sure what benefit that has

New Tires? Existing tires are a bit old, but the tread looks ok

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Tires deteriorate… if yours are older they may look good, but could be the play in your steering…

I recent passed the 100K miles mark on my TJ and I want to keep her going for another 100K more!

Congratulation, keep it maintained. That's really not "a lot of miles" for a modern OBDII vehicle, so don't convince yourself it's about dead. Just keep up with general maintenance and repairs, and another 100K should be no problem.

Upgrade the cylinder head? I believe my 2000 TJ still has a original 0331 non TUPY cylinder head, but I haven't run into any problems yet

No reason to open an expensive can of worms.

Preventive list: Fluids as mentioned. Front to rear- brakes, differentials, transfer case, transmission....everything else take it as it comes. (y)

Tires deteriorate… if yours are older they may look good, but could be the play in your steering…
I agree. Also, worn out front control arm bushings will make the steering feel loose.

My '98 has 150,000 on it now and all I have done is routine fluid changes and as said, replace parts as they break.

Reactions: DavidBT
Thanks for the sound advice everyone. I'll definitely follow the fluid change schedule and look into the front control arm bushings. Anything else I should change while I'm replacing those?

Thanks for the sound advice everyone. I'll definitely follow the fluid change schedule and look into the front control arm bushings. Anything else I should change while I'm replacing those?

Have someone sit in the drivers seat and turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the steering components. If anything is loose, you should be able to see it moving. Replace parts as needed.

Reactions: PNW_LJ