Over Medano Pass into the Great Sand Dunes National Preserve

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
We did this trip on November 6th. Pretty nice day for that late in the year, especially since we were up over 10,000' elevation. @Rescue6 @RMETeeJay

01s.jpg

Out of sequence but it sums up the trip. I have no idea how I got this shot to turn out like this.

03s.jpg

This map at the beginning of the trail chronicles Zebulon Pike's expedition.

04s.jpg

The trip started on this fire road on the eastern slope of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range.

06s.jpg

Me at the top of the pass. It was chilly but I still wanted my top folded back. Hence the dorky hat with ear flaps.

08s.jpg

Entering the preserve just on the other side of the pass.

11s.jpg

First glimpse of the sand dunes in the distance.

12s.jpg

Zoomed in. Those are the San Juan mountains on the far side of the dunes. If I kept driving in this direction, and drove over those mountains, I would end up in Ouray.

13s.jpg

Down out of the mountains and into the sand.

14s.jpg

"Jeeps are like dogs... everyone thinks theirs is the best." Yup. And that's exactly the way it should be.

15s.jpg

Our lunch spot. Not bad.

16s.jpg

I've said here that my wheeling trips are all about the views. Here's a good example.

17s.jpg

Last edited:
Good photos. My wife and I rode over Medano Pass in August. We saw 2 Mountain Lions about 5 miles out of the park. It was one of the highlights of our trip.
I've seen two mountain lions since we moved to Salida in 2005. I shot this photo on one of my early morning drives in the late fall. It was very low light, so the photo is grainy. You can't tell from this photo, but the lion was 50' up in this Ponderosa Pine. We stared at each other for a bit and then he turned and went head-first straight down the main trunk of the tree. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for sure.

Mountain Lion in tree.jpg

I've seen two mountain lions since we moved to Salida in 2005. I shot this photo on one of my early morning drives in the late fall. It was very low light, so the photo is grainy. You can't tell from this photo, but the lion was 50' up in this Ponderosa Pine. We stared at each other for a bit and then he turned and went head-first straight down the main trunk of the tree. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for sure.

I was running my dash cam when we saw our Mountain Lions. Look close on the lower right and you can see them. One ran as soon as we came around the curve and is back near the woods. The other stayed near the edge of the road till we were very close. You can clearly see that one. The photos show you where to look. The movie is at the bottom. We got pretty excited. Excuse the language.

1604951547399.png

1604951599196.png

Last edited:
It looks nice, who said that we need to travel to the Middle East to experience the sand trail. Also, the photos look really cool.

that trip is on my list. Hope to take the family over it next summer. I hear there's some water crossings that can be hairy during snowmelt season, so hopefully we can wait long enough for them to mellow out but not so long that there isn't any water for the kids to play in to stay cool at the dunes.

Photos from my ride over Medano Pass

The little black dots are people playing on the dunes. The dunes are BIG!
i-sqrcnPR-XL.jpg

Starting from the National park, the trail is sandy.
i-Cp9Fxc7-XL.jpg

Getting up the mountain.
i-P6rhH3z-XL.jpg

Beaver Pond - note the Beaver lodge in the background.
i-QQ9WXwK-XL.jpg

View to the south from the top.
i-LgJbtvP-XL.jpg

Reactions: j8ksdad and anarce
Love the views and the scenery. Very cool encounter with a mountain lion as well!

Also, cool red FJ!

Reactions: alittleoff
Thanks for all the pics! I really want to do this with my family. My wife and I moved to CO in 2006 and we still haven't made it to the Sand Dunes.

How long does it take to drive Medano Pass? I'd like to take my pop-up camper down there, so I can't do a loop and bring it on the trail. I'd probably camp by the park and drive the Pass back and forth in the Jeep. Not sure how long that would take.

Thanks for all the pics! I really want to do this with my family. My wife and I moved to CO in 2006 and we still haven't made it to the Sand Dunes.

How long does it take to drive Medano Pass? I'd like to take my pop-up camper down there, so I can't do a loop and bring it on the trail. I'd probably camp by the park and drive the Pass back and forth in the Jeep. Not sure how long that would take.

2.5 to 3 hours. I did Medano as part of a loop drive from Coaldale, CO. We were camping in Coaldale on the Arkansas River at the Big Horn RV Park. We started on Hayden Pass (across the street) to Villa Grove, CO, to the Sand Dunes NP, across on Medano Pass, and back to Coaldale on Colorado 69 and US 50. Done like this, it was a full day ride.

Reactions: anarce
that trip is on my list. Hope to take the family over it next summer. I hear there's some water crossings that can be hairy during snowmelt season, so hopefully we can wait long enough for them to mellow out but not so long that there isn't any water for the kids to play in to stay cool at the dunes.
There are seven water crossings on the western slope. We went through a couple that were up to our bumpers.

But, here's how I would suggest that you do it. You want to go to the Dunes during June if you want to play in the water. Medano creek is running then, right at the base of the dunes, and it "pulses." It's really cool. Here's a creek running down the sand and it has waves. Then, go over the pass from west to east. If any of the water crossings are too deep you can always turn around. Just one way to approach it.

If you camped in/near the Park, I would guess it would take you about 90 minutes to drive to the top of the pass. (I'm not certain, I wasn't watching the time.) By far, then, the shortest route back to your camper would be to turn around and go back down the 4wd road from the top of the pass. If you go clear on over, and then back around to the Park via highways, that will be a long drive on pavement.

Plus, if you're camped at/near the Park, from there you could drive up about an hour and go over Hayden Pass in the Sangres. You could also drive the Rawley Mine Tour 4wd roads up by Bonanza. Lots to explore on that western side of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range.

Reactions: anarce
2.5 to 3 hours. I did Medano as part of a loop drive from Coaldale, CO. We were camping in Coaldale on the Arkansas River at the Big Horn RV Park. We started on Hayden Pass (across the street) to Villa Grove, CO, to the Sand Dunes NP, across on Medano Pass, and back to Coaldale on Colorado 69 and US 50. Done like this, it was a full day ride.
That's a great full-day ride! And, it could be done in either direction.

There are seven water crossings on the western slope. We went through a couple that were up to our bumpers.

But, here's how I would suggest that you do it. You want to go to the Dunes during June if you want to play in the water. Medano creek is running then, right at the base of the dunes, and it "pulses." It's really cool. Here's a creek running down the sand and it has waves. Then, go over the pass from west to east. If any of the water crossings are too deep you can always turn around. Just one way to approach it.

Yeah we went in June last year, rented a board to sled down the dunes and played in the water once the dunes got too hot. That was a great year for snowfall, too so the pulses in the creek were distinct. I still haven't wrapped my mind around what causes them.

Just never been over medano.

Reactions: WLDRIDE
Thanks for the pics. We've hung out down there but didn't do any wheeling, it was pre TJ. Looking to go back next year with the jeep.
The kids had a ton of fun with the creek in the sand. I hear there are some good tent camping spots along the trail, is that the case?

Thanks for the pics. We've hung out down there but didn't do any wheeling, it was pre TJ. Looking to go back next year with the jeep.
The kids had a ton of fun with the creek in the sand. I hear there are some good tent camping spots along the trail, is that the case?

There were numbered campsites along the road . I believe they are administered through the National Park Service. There seemed to be people boondocking at the top of the Pass.