Overall, what is the best year of Jeep Wrangler TJs?

You can fix any problem. My opinion is a cracked head is a big deal. I'd personally avoid an older six because of this. All the newer issues seem minor except for the OPDA camshaft wear issue. I also don't think that's minor and don't think it would be easy to spot on a used Jeep. That means for me the bottom limit would be the TUPY head introduction around 99 and the top would be 2004, the last year with the good cam gear drive assembly. Everybody always gets bent out of shape about these discussions, "my Jeep is great too." There is nothing wrong with focusing your search on a few years that tend to have fewer problems. After all it's okay to search for a red one right?

I must be the biggest idiot here, because I keep buying 05-06 models :LOL:
Post any pictures of your newest victim yet?

Reactions: Rubisohoe
You can fix any problem. My opinion is a cracked head is a big deal. I'd personally avoid an older six because of this. All the newer issues seem minor except for the OPDA camshaft wear issue. I also don't think that's minor and don't think it would be easy to spot on a used Jeep. That means for me the bottom limit would be the TUPY head introduction around 99 and the top would be 2004, the last year with the good cam gear drive assembly. Everybody always gets bent out of shape about these discussions, "my Jeep is great too." There is nothing wrong with focusing your search on a few years that tend to have fewer problems. After all it's okay to search for a red one right?

Yep, click on the link in my signature (y)

Reactions: pagrey
If i was buying another tj i would go for 03-04.

I would say 05-06, currently own an 06, but the pcm and opda issues could be problematic.

so far my pcm is holding up but i had to change the opda along with a new camshaft at 70k miles.

Does it make sense to preemptively replace the ODPA? My '06 has 128K. Are the replacements any better than the originals?

Does it make sense to preemptively replace the ODPA? My '06 has 128K. Are the replacements any better than the originals?
Personally, I would. A failing OPDA could fail without the screaming monkeys. Hell, mine rattled like a knocking rod but not a peep from a monkey.

Reactions: Starrs
I prefer the early model 1997 and 1998 TJs.

I dislike the cheap HVAC controls found on the 1999 and later models.

2000 - 2002 models seem to have a problem with cracking heads.

I especially HATE the cheap multi-function light switch found on the 2001 and later models. In my opinion, that is enough reason to avoid any model newer than 2000.

The 2003 - 2006 seats suck but the automatic overdrive transmission sucks even more.

Last edited:
Being in Australia the only one I'd certainly avoid is the '97. It's a bit of a bastard model containing some parts made for that year only while the production lines used up old parts/changed to new parts. '98 and newer will be more consistent and easier/cheaper to get parts for.

Yeah, I've noticed that some of the FSM wiring diagrams for the '97 model year don't necessarily jive with the physical configuration. Not too big a deal, just a minor pain if you're trying to figure out wiring.

I'd say 2003 ~ 2006 just for the fact that is when the Rubicon was introduced. Yes each year has it's own issues, but if you want to spend a bit more on your TJ up front, a Rubicon really will give you tremendous capability.

Though you could make an argument for a 2005-2006 because you could get a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon!

Reactions: chad
Being in Australia the only one I'd certainly avoid is the '97. It's a bit of a bastard model containing some parts made for that year only while the production lines used up old parts/changed to new parts. '98 and newer will be more consistent and easier/cheaper to get parts for.
Same here in the states as well. 97 would be the only year to avoid really unless you plan is to get it and repace everything with other stuff.

If you do, go with the crown one. I replaced mine with the doorman one and it just exacerbated the problem screwing my camshaft.

Reactions: Zorba
Good thread, I like hearing the different opinions.

I recently acquired a 97 :) 213k on the meter... If you get one old enough, all the stuff should be fixed already.

I have the paperwork for the engine change that was done in 2015 - what's the best way to see if I have the TUPY head?

Good thread, I like hearing the different opinions.

I recently acquired a 97 :) I have the paperwork for the engine change that was done in 2015 - what's the best way to see if I have the TUPY head?
You can see the word TUPY on the head if you open up the oil fill cap and look down with a flashlight.

I wanted a manual LJ, so 05-06 was all I could pick from. lol

I don't regret my decision. Don't focus on the model year so much. Just find the one that ticks as many boxes for you and is in great running shape. No matter which TJ you get, if (more like when) you do come across any issues later down the road, the people on this forum will be there to help you out.

Reactions: Zorba
You can see the word TUPY on the head if you open up the oil fill cap and look down with a flashlight.
Looks like this...

TUPY 331 head revision fixes the craking issue.JPG

I agree with you on this and this was the point of my post exactly. I’ve always wanted a TJ but never got around to it for one reason or another. I’m finally in a position to buy one and I want to tap into the knowledge and experience of those who see them every where - I guess a fair comparison would be if an American wanted to buy a 70 series Toyota Land Cruiser - they are a dime a dozen over here and there isn’t much Your average Aussie bloke doesn’t know about them. They have run, in one form or another, over the last 34 years and all have different quirks.

Thank you to everyone who replied. I think the years to pick are 02-04, with 03/04 as the pick, 4 litre 5 speed and if I’m lucky enough, one with a Dana 44 rear And of course in the best coNeorion I can find!

Thank you again!

03-04 sound good but what about the vapor lock, super rough idle when the engine got hot?
Hold up. I have an 04 and have noticed weird idle behaviors after idling a really long time in hot weather. I didn’t know this was a common issue. Any chance you could point me towards a thread with more info on this?